ammo trail this time of year

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freighttrain48

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience on this trail this time of year or has been up there recently and could give me an idea if this is an ok route to take looking to climb munroe and washington going up ammo down jewell. I have never been on this trail so I dont know what to expect in terms of ice and the shoulder season.

This was exactly my first real hike in the Whites, and it was this time of year, but after a big snowfall. It'll be very icey higher up Ammo, below treeline, for a short distance, as there's a stream over exposed rock or maybe it's just a wet area. You'd want full winter gear regardless. Just a matter of when and where you'll need to use it.

Definitely bring traction. The type of ice this time of year is not going to be thick, but it is going to be prevalent in spots. The exposure isnt significant, I.E. going out and buying an ice ax for the trip is probably overkill. A the snow pack is not developed, microspikes work better than crampons as you can leave them on for longer when it swtiches over from ice to soil.

Hi FT,

All good info here so far - I completely agree. I've been up and down Ammo during the shoulder seasons, although more in spring than in fall.

The first two miles of Ammo are a non-issue, nice easy ascent to Gem Pool. The next mile to the hut contains all the steeps. Microspikes are probably the way to go. There are a few rocky, steep stretches that will take care if icy.

Agree that an axe is overkill although that may not be the case for long once the snow fields fill in above tree line.

Jewell is a very forgiving descent route.

Have an awesome hike. This is a great loop.

Thank you chip, peakbagger, sabrina, and scott. This exactly the info I was looking for. just waiting for the right day to make it happen.

One of the few times I have used my crampons was on the Ammo in late November. The upper trail above Gem Pool was 100% ice. Was kind of neat walking up waterfall after waterfall. :)

Ammo is one of those trails where I am always planning to have traction. The climb to Gem Pool is a steep chute. With hard snowpack - MSRs are usually Sufficient. Fall is a touch call because crampons and/or snowshoes are usually over kill . Microspikes and poles will be your friend. Next weeken is looking good long range :)

There has been more than one occasion that I was glad to have 10 points with me in November for the section just before tree line. Carrying them for 9.6 (ammo, jewel loop) miles, knowing that you will only need them for 1/4 mile is a pain but IMHO is worth it. That being said, I've done it with just Stabilicers as well. Great loop in the late fall.

There has been more than one occasion that I was glad to have 10 points with me in November for the section just before tree line. Carrying them for 9.6 (ammo, jewel loop) miles, knowing that you will only need them for 1/4 mile is a pain but IMHO is worth it. That being said, I've done it with just Stabilicers as well. Great loop in the late fall.

thanks for the heads up tom and Its nice to see a neighbor on vftt.( I live on 102 by beaver lake in derry)

in the past i have seen some major ice on the ammo trail about this time of year. obviously it will vary year to year and right now i imagine it's probably in good shape, but if that area starts getting some solid freezing temps i definitely wouldn't assume that microspikes will be sufficient for safe travel and bring along something more aggressive.
have fun.

bryan