An April Finish on Garfield, 4/28/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
April 28, 2012: Garfield

Trails: Mt. Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail

Summits: Mt. Garfield

Hikers: NH Tramper (Mike), Lisa, Rick, Trail Trotter (Sue), and me

This hike will finish off our grid month of April. We came into the month with a pretty good inventory of mountains on our to-do list but have been able to fit them all into the available hike time. We planned to hike with NH Tramper (Mike), a fellow neither of us had ever met but we’ve heard good reports. Also at the trailhead and leaving a couple minutes ahead of us were Lisa and Rick. A short time into the hike we were all joined up as a big happy group headed to Garfield. It’s going to be a good day!

We had a general covering of snow from the previous day that hid all of the little hazards that will take you out if given a chance such as icy spots, wet roots, loose rocks, and more. We moved along being careful with foot placement. At the first crossings we took a quick look and headed up the east side of the stream to continue with dry feet. The exposed rocks in the stream were all ice-covered and not suitable for a safe rock-hop crossing. It’s a short bushwhack to bypass the problem. Back on trail we covered the short distance to the third crossing and found a dry approach to the far side.

From there we were climbing Garfield. As we gained elevation the snow amount increased along with the ice that was hiding underneath. There were sections of Mt. Garfield Trail that were very long mud pits and other places were running streams. We were generally able to skirt all of the springtime problems. Roughly half-way into the hike we started to find a significant amount of ice on the trail and decided to pull out the MICROspikes. With a little extra traction we were all set for the remaining climb to Garfield.

This was day 2 of a back-to-back, and day 1 wasn’t a particularly light day. Even though I started the day with a good breakfast, two quarts of Gatorade, and two 16 ounce Monster drinks, I was operating with a limited reserve and found myself needing to make a few more stops than usual. Garfield is a short hike and we were in no real hurry so everything worked out alright. Along the way there were a few others that cruised past, and some of them were later passed by us.

The final mile to the summit was really nice. The sun was shining with very few clouds in the sky, the trees were loaded with rime and snow from the previous day, and the general conditions were really pleasant. We expected some wind on the summit but could worry about that later; for the time being we enjoyed the climb and good company on the hike.

At the Mt. Garfield – Garfield Ridge trails junction we re-passed a large group that had gone by earlier. They had stopped for a break and to get out their light traction. We generally kept climbing to the summit enjoying the views as we gained elevation. The MICROspikes did a good job on the final steep approach to the summit and none of us had any trouble at all, up or down.

At the summit we had wind. It wasn’t terribly strong but strong enough to make us hide from it in the old tower foundation, or behind it. We enjoyed the views, got all the pictures we wanted, and decided to stay warm and leave. We started our descent but soon stopped at the trails junction for quick refreshment.

A short distance below the trails junction is an open place where the sun was blasting through. Mike noticed the snow was pretty soft and sticky in that area and he let Sue know about it. That was all it took; it’s snowman time on Garfield! Sue took off her pack and went to work. In very little time there was a happy guy sitting above the trail with a big smile.

Back into the exit walk we all eventually decided to de-layer. By the time we were half-way out the excess layers were all stowed in our packs and we were enjoying a sunny, warm hike to the trailhead.

We reached the area of the crossings and all took different approaches on the bottom two. Lisa and Rick did the bushwhack bypass, Mike and Sue made the middle crossing and joined up with Lisa and Rick, I stayed with the trail straight through. The warm conditions had cleared the rocks of ice and safe rock-hops were no problem at all.

After the final crossing and a short walk through the big conifers we were back to the trailhead, saying our goodbyes, and packing to leave. Thanks to Mike, Lisa, and Rick for a very enjoyable hike to Mt. Garfield. It was a definite pleasure to meet you all.

Thanks Sue for a fun day and a good finish to our April grid hiking. And, thanks for sharing more of your vacation time with me. Next week we have a new month and a new list. I’m looking forward to it.

Pictures will follow.

:cool: