An impromptu gathering at Mt. Tom 01/19/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
Marty and I departed at 5am, picked up Marty's co-worker, Brent, and we headed up to Crawford Notch. It was very cold and we were well layered as we headed up the Avalon Trail. The trail was well packed out and we were able to make good time on snowshoes. We heated up quite quickly and were soon stopping to remove some of those layers. We quickly reached the junction with the A-Z Trail which had also been well broken out. The forest was especially beautiful after the recent five or six inches of fresh powder. It would be an incredibly gorgeous day- a real winner(see pics).

Just at the base of the loop trail to Mt. Tom we ran into several VFTTers. It was a great surprise. Among those joyful souls present were Marc Howes, Cantdog, Bikehikeskifish, Mad River, Satori and friend (sorry, don't remember his name), Big Earl and Bryan. A few minutes later and we would have missed them.

We continued on through the extremely picturesque spruce lined path to the summit where the views were killer and with remarkably little wind. Congrats to Brent for tagging another 4K on his first winter hike. As for me I couldn't have had a better day with better company.

Pics at : http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562202535dBGjlN

Best,
Ray

Last edited:
The Mad River-led expedition included me, Cantdog, BIGEarl, Farmer, and Marc Howes.

Nice to meet you all. Last time I did Tom it was 100% foggy and there were no views. Quite a nice view over to Zealand/Zeacliff as well as Hale and Carrigain.

Tim

Hey Ray - great shots. Nice hike for sure, including running into a whole bunch of VFTTers. It also should be noted that it was the second hike in a row that I ran into Roger (a VFTT lurker), who was hiking with another guy (can't remember his name).

Always great to hike with you Brent. It was an enjoyable descent with you, Brent, Big Earl and me.

Regards,
Marty
P.S. Patriots are in the SUPER BOWL!

Not all surprises are good, and not all are bad either. Saturday was sure loaded with surprises.

I was really happy to see you, Marty, and Brent at the summit of Mt. Tom. A short time before seeing you guys I was in the process of leaving the area and heard someone call my name. I immediately recognized the voice. But, I thought there was nobody else around and I asked myself - Did I really hear it or am I hallucinating? Because of my hearing it is very hard to detect direction for sounds. First I looked toward the summit clearing and saw nothing. Then glanced toward the bench, nothing. Then, I looked down the trail, still wondering if this was my imagination at work. Soon I noticed some movement and up the trail came Satori, and then John stepped into the clearing from the spruce. I’ve hiked with both and can tell you they are a real pleasure to spend a day with. We visited for a while but they had a couple more peaks to conquer before their day was finished and needed to keep moving.

Soon, there’s my name again and I’m working to connect it to a source. After a few seconds out into the clear steps Marty, then Brent. Before too long you were part of the group.

Seeing you guys and Satori & John was a high point of the day (possibly the high point).

I really hope to see you guys again soon.

Earl

What a great chance encounter! I was zipping down the trail where I could see a crowd of people at the junction and whose face should I see?? Marty!!!!

Thanks for helping continue the trend of me running into people I know while out hiking in the winter :D

Glad to hear that all of you had such a wonderful day out doors, meeting and greeting one another. I wish that I could have been there, but other obligations called me away from my playground.

Regards,

Ridgewalker