Anyone active on the 3k lists?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherby

Reaction score
We just finished New Eng. 3k (451) on Twin Peaks in ME and there was very few recent entries in the canister, even by under 3500' ME standards. I know someone at 774/777 who is eager to finish, me and my partner are kinda stuck close to 770 with a few private ones in NY and a trip to PA that we have no real interest to do. Last finisher I heard of was SpencerVT a couple years ago.

It would seem from FB that there are a number of people working on some of the lower-elevation NH lists, and I wonder if they're working on them instead of the NE3ks, because of the driving distance to Maine. If you look at Newenglandtrailconditions.com, there are a couple of names that look like they might be working on them or eventually will.

I finished NH a couple of summers ago, and I use the 770 list for ideas for hikes, but I wouldn't say that I'm actively working on any of them. I'd love to one day finish the Fifty Finest, NEP2k, and AdkHH, but the last especially, is a long way off. A friend of mine is very close to finishing Vermont and somewhat close to finishing NH, but he has had few opportunities to hike of late.

Yeah lot of bushwhack happening in NH, pretty sure many HH have a herd-path now. We have no plan to attack the NH500 list, but we'll try to keep bushwhacking occasionally. NY has some of the most nasty stuff and a lot more private properties, so obviously less popular / talked about.

We just finished New Eng. 3k (451) on Twin Peaks in ME and there was very few recent entries in the canister, even by under 3500' ME standards. I know someone at 774/777 who is eager to finish, me and my partner are kinda stuck close to 770 with a few private ones in NY and a trip to PA that we have no real interest to do. Last finisher I heard of was SpencerVT a couple years ago.
Interesting opinion on the PA 3Ks, Sherby. Can't disagree with you. John Swanson and I actually saved them to finish on in 1997 (It actually was a fun trip). The late Gene Daniell refused to recognize them (PA) as part of the Northeast. I think the long-distance travel plus excessive access bushwhacking has kept the finisher list to low numbers, currently at 13.

Last edited:
Davis (PA) is certainly the most ridiculous peak of the list, making Utsayantha (NY) feels like an adventure. By tmr, it will be 15 :p

This list has always intrigued me. I have bunches of it done and maybe over the next 5-10 years I will work on completing it. To be honest, just figuring out the list for the ADK in particular is the challenge it seems.