Anyone regret buying a NON gore-texed boot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 3 season boots I prefer full grain leather sans Gore-Tex. Well maintained leather works perfectly for me. Winter boots are synthetic climbing boots with a Gore-Tex liner.

Thanks for all the responses. I have used goretexed boots for 20+ years and have been mostly happy. The fit of the Scarpa Sl was pretty sweet though. So I'll try them on again and........

cheers, Spencer

The thing with experience is alot of what we all have learned and utilized over the years might work great for us, but be ineffective for someone else, slight deviations in sizes and applications can take your idea and render it ineffective for another hiker.Besides some people hike for years and really dont learn as much as others who may be more savey and inventive towards gear and techniques. That being said forums like this are effective for hashing over a variety of techniques and gear and finding out what works for YOU, it might be quite different in your case then someone elses. As far as being less then civil on this board, glass houses and all that.

The Gore-Tex will leak LONG before the sole is worn out. Like a lot of Gore-Tex stuff - it works GREAT....when it's brand new.

Even the FAQ from Gore-Tex won't make any claims as to lifespan, other than:

As the Gore quote that you selected says, "Gore-tex does not wear out." The Gore-tex membrane cannot and will not ever leak, unless you are to puncture or tear the membrane.

The myth of Gore-tex leaking is the result of: a seam failing; water coming in from an unsealed space (i.e. running down your back, wrists, ankles); or when the DWR wears off and the outer layer of the article of clothing becomes soaked, the membrane is not able to breathe properly--so the vaporized sweat condenses on the membrane inside the article of clothing and you get wet from sweat.

As Dug and others have said, an all-leather boot, with a minimal number of seams, that has been well-cared for and regularly treated with boot grease has no need for Gore-tex.

Your are correct Teo - the Goretex membrane proper doesn't leak, it's more of seam failure and DWR issues joining forces.

So yes, the GoreTex never leaks - but your foot is still wet. :D