Leather Boots Without Gore-tex

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
Any pros and cons to using a leather boot that is not Gore-tex? Can the boot truly be waterproofed?

I'm looking for a late fall/early spring boot for use in the Adirondack High Peaks. When there is snow on all trails regardless of elevation, I use Vasque Arctics for boots. They do the job fairly well, but they are not supportive enough if the snow is off the trail in spots. Hence the need for a separate late fall/early spring boot. I'm looking for an unsulated boot, but with thicker leather that will lend good support, and should be able to get get a thick sock on without discomfort.

I'm not looking for recommendations for specific boots, but just how important (or unimportant) people think Gore-tex is in a boot that will be used at these times of the year when keeping my feet dry will be important (for the purpose of keeping them warm). I'm asking this because I found a Lowa, leather lined boot that is incredibly comfortable, but no Gore-tex. Any drawbacks to leather lined boots. I understand they require a bit more maintenance.

Thanks,
John

John

I hiked for years in all four seasons in leather boots without Gore-tex and had no problem with wet feet. I treated the boots regularly with Sno-Seal, making sure that I covered seams and stitching thoroughly, then I'd leave them on a hot air register overnight to let it melt and soak in. I believe Sno-seal is wax-based and it doesn't degrade leather like some treatments.

I also hiked for many years in non-goretex waterproof leather boots, with no problems.

Look for a boot that states that it has waterproof leather. Usually these are the thicker, factory treated materials.

For use in really wet conditions (deep mud, lots of puddles, etc.) I think waterproof leather is more valuable than goretex. The goretex is usually in the form of a "sock, near the interior of the boot. A goretex boot with non-waterproof outer materials will soak up and retain water. Yes, it doesn't reach your foot because of the goretex, but the boot gets cold. With a waterproof leather boot, the water and mud stays on the outside. Mud quickly dries and falls off when drier conditions are encountered.

Having both features is nice.

TCD

I swear by leather boots with Sno-Seal. I treat them a couple of times during the winter season. I find the salt on the roads and elsewhere do a number on the treatment (I wear the boots other than just for hiking sometimes).

In my opinion, the wax treatment is much more trustworthy than a gore-tex liner. Inner layers of my boots have a way of wearing out long before the boots show much wear on the outside.

I've tried Nikwax treatments too and they work, but aren't as durable as Sno-seal. I found I had to reapply the more fluid Nikwax quite frequently to be effective.

spencer

Just as a sled dog gets excited when you take the harnesses off the hook in the shed, I get excited when I smell Sno-Seal (no, not the way YOU are thinking).
The stuff works great, but I have found it is best to hang the boots above the furnace for at least a day after treating, then check for dry spots and do it again. The stuff gets pretty durable when the temps drop.
I like my Gortex, but boy, the smell and feel of sno-seal the night before an adventure really gets me going. (Pretty pathetic, huh?)
Hike On,
Tom

If you properly care for your boots by waterproofing with a wax or oil, and cleaning and reapplying occasionally, they'll still be waterproof.

I've always questioned the combination of leather in Gore-Tex boots (although I have them....). By properly caring for the leather with a wax or oil, you are closing up the pores in the leather. For Gore-Tex to work, it needs to breath. Where does the water vapor go if it can't get past the leather on the outside? Back into your socks...or...worse, it just stays on the backside of the leather and rots it.

boots

i have both waterproof gortex, waterproof using other means & non-waterproof. my asolo mtf 600 are not gortex but the boots (roughed out leather/suede) are treated and i have worn them thru water and to date the water still beads off. i supposed at some point i may need to retreat but so far great. most boots will state they are treated/ if not & they are one of the better brands you can probably "assume" they are. a lot of folks don't like gortex bec it makes their feet sweat too much. if you think about it; long before gortex all we had was leather boots! i know you weren't looking for recommendations (i also have the artics & they are warm and good for snowshoeing but not the greatest hiking boot) but here's a couple i'd recommend: asolo mtf's & i LOVE my LOWA ALPINE GUIDES (ck sierra trading post they are on sale 50% off)

It's all in the quality of the leather and the boot - I have an old pair of Merrill leather telemark boots that have always stayed dry with a good coat of sno-seal. On the other hand - all the sno-seal in the world could not help keep an inexpensive pair of boots I had stay dry. I currently have gore-tex lined boots and have never gotten wet feet in them.

Little confused here? If the sno seal keeps the water out, how does your heat/sweat exit the leather?

TomEske said:
...I get excited when I smell Sno-Seal (no, not the way YOU are thinking)....
Tom
:D Tom-
That actually made me laugh out loud, because I can relate... Maybe we both need Sno-Seal Anonymous?

coldfeet said:
Little confused here? If the sno seal keeps the water out, how does your heat/sweat exit the leather?
It doesn't, at least not very efficiently. On the other hand, IMHO the same is true with Gore-tex. GT is a vapor-permeable barrier. Let's face it, your feet are always going to sweat more liquid than is going to escape through the gore-tex, particularly when there's a layer of leather outside of it. A good sock system (liner socks, wool or synthetic outer socks, and maybe a VBL) is essential in either case.

thx,, i visited 4 boot stores in the past week and no luck in my size or comfort.. i went to ems, campmor, tent and trails, and rock and snow,,, one place t&t ordered a pair in my size to try. This is really getting to be a pain.

coldfeet,

keep after it. It's worth finding the right pair in the right size. Don't settle for anything less. I have a size 15 foot which is very limiting. When I found the right model, I bought two pair. By the time you wear out one pair, the company won't be making the same model anymore and you'll have to start over...

spencer

BTW - Limmer specifically recomends not using snow seal on their boots due to the high bees wax content. Their claim is that is can cause the leather to crack. They also advocate the less is more approach, using frequent light applications.
Of course they also recomend using Limmer Grease which I think is more grease based.

On the other hand when I used to beat on leather boots pretty hard, it was always nice to clean them up, get them nice and warm and trowel on the snowseal, sort of worked as "spackling compound" for leather. Filled in all sorts of sins plus the whole house got that nice Snow seal aroma!.

hey coldfeet

you stated:" i visited 4 boot stores in the past week and no luck in my size or comfort"

i have a small foot and there's never anything for me in stores. i have to say i shop exclusively , well 98% via internet. some places have free returns and many, like sierra take back even worn boots. give it a try if you aren't having any luck. there's lots of great deals out there

Thx, i never thought about checking for a return policy. I did like the feel of a rental boot, it was a rental scarpa, some type of brushed leather with inserts, cost $44 for 3 days with crampons.. thinking about renting these for the winter gathering before buying.

General Boot Fitting Advice

For those that just can't seem to find a boot that is comfortable and has a good fit, I strongly encourage you to keep the boot on for at least 10 minutes before ruling it out. I am often surprised at how comfortable some boots are, yet I would have dismissed them immediately based on the immediate fit. As your foot warms the boot, ithe boot often becomes more flexible and more comfortable, AND you get a much better feel for how that boot will feel on you foot after a long day.

On another note, no one has commented boots that are leather lined. Anyone have experience with leather lined boots? I have heard there is more maintenance involved.

John

I've been much happier with non Gore tex scarpas than Gore tex Vasques. I nik wax them before each trip, works fine. I've used sno-seal in the past but was told that it breaks down the leather. Anyone know if this is the case?

As for boot fitting, I have mutant feet (heel spurs, both heels) and so most boots don't fit me right until I wear hole into the heel of the boot. I've found that Scarpas (at a size 1/2 larger than my measured size) work really well.

So... when you do find a boot that fits, note the brand, most boots from that company will be built around the same last and will have a greater chance of fitting well.

I've used leather boots (Vasque Mountaineers and Sportiva Makalus, among others) for 20 years before finally trying gore-tex lined winter boots (Sportiva Lhotse's). I went through about a trillion bees' worth of sno-seal in that time and always swore by this system. My feet sweat a lot too, and I find the gore-tex does not allow enough of my feet sweat out of the boot to make any helpful difference. But that's not to say the leather with sno-seal does any better. On problem I have is that no matter how good a job I've done, the sno-seal is not 100% waterproof. Scraping the boots against rocks and trees and just general wear on any given trip will invariably remove enough of the sno-seal to allow for some moisture penetration from the outside. And that's even if you've properly applied the sno-seal. (Take your time, warm the boots prior to application (but don't HEAT them), and put on more than one coat until the boot won't suck up any more sno-seal.) Because of this, I was always much more attentive to my sock combo with the leather than with gore-tex. A pp liner with a wool sock always worked best for me with the leather boots. The pp liner wicked enough moisture away from my feet to make a difference and the wool kept my feet warm enough in spite of sweat and cold and minor leakage, when it occured. I've never found that the sno-seal affects leather quality except for appearance. Hope this perspective adds a little to the discussion.

Boot comfort

i suggest to always pick up a better quality insert also. if you don't have any major foot problems you can pick up a pr at for $8-$15. if you have some foot problems get a pr specifically for you - you'll spend a bit more $15-$60 but it's worth it.