Anyone use that "5 hour energy"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never tried the "5 hour energy" things, but I would choose Cliff Shots or GU packs instead. Some have caffeine if that's what you're after. They at least have some nutritional value and B vitamins. I only use them cycling for the most part, but always carry a couple in my pack. They've helped when I really feel like I'm going to "bonk." Honestly, if you eat properly throughout your hike and stay hydrated it shouldn't be an issue.

The chocolate covered coffee beans are a must in any trail-mix.

While I normally do dark chocolate covered espresso beans, I have used 5 hour energy before. It lives up to it's claims. It has about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee and doesn't make you crash or anything. It's also low in sugar. I've found it useful to take before big races or while during a Presi traverse.

I do not know the effect all that caffine at once would have on your hiking.

It's important to note that its not just caffeine - there are plenty other stimulants in 5 hour energy drink. One of them is taurine which is also in Red Bull and most other energy drinks. There has been some controversy about Taurine. There is even less info about some of the other stimulants in 5 hour energy and other drinks. Less information is available about them. I'm concerned about the risks - especially with long term use - it seems like little is known about them. Caffeine is imperfect, but at least its been around for a long time and there has been a lot of research into it.

It also seems that a lot of these stimulants are produced in China and I'm not confident in their quality control.

Same for your body. It burns the food you eat as fuel. The supplement <theoretically> makes it burn hotter. If you have no food/fuel to burn you can add all the octane booster you want.
But your food is not the only feul your body will burn. Everyone has fat to burn. Even the most fit person has at least 5% body fat. One CAN get by on this. Moderate caffeine may help.

I once suffered the effects of too much caffeine. I used to be addicted to the stuff, and would get a headache if I didn't have my daily fix. I was awakened earlier than I wanted, and pulled on a hike without my morning teas. Early afternoon, I started getting a headache. I mentioned my caffeine addiction to one of the guys who said, "I have these caffeine pills. Take two."

Headache disappeared soon after, but a while after that, I lost all energy. It lasted an hour and a half-two hours. I was going slow. Then, I picked up and was fine.

I had an up then a big down after the caffeine.

Oh. I eat very little while hiking or cycling long distances. I am able to easily cycle, say 150 miles on a whopper and a handful of peanuts. I hike on less.

Have never tried 5-Hour Energy and think Red Bull is horrible tasting, although I do know one very good ultrarunner--Karl Meltzer--who is sponsored by them. My drinkable stimulant of choice is Starbucks Doubleshots. :)

Monster Hitman Energy Shooters and Monster Energy Drink work very well for me.

I have usually started every hike day with a pot of coffee. Over the past several weeks I have skipped the coffee completely. Instead, a Hitman gets things rolling before leaving the house. Then, a Monster drink on the drive to the trailhead. On the past few hikes I have had a couple Monster drinks with me on the hike. One before the hike and a couple during the hike seem to do the job.

Maybe the stuff works, maybe it doesn't. All I can say is I feel much better at the end of a long day than in the past.

I have just recently picked up NUUN tablets for electrolyte replacement. A few coworkers are into long distance biking and recomended these for cramp prevention. The tablets look (and work) like a big alka seltzer, just drop one in a water bottle and let it fiz until it dissolves. They arent full of sugar, but they do have a good taste. I used to carry gatoraide powder on backpacking trips, but will probably switch to these. EMS stocks them.

I've tried NUUN for biking and found the lemon/lime flavor has a metalic after-taste. Do they all? Or maybe it's just me...

I like Hammer Nutrition HEED for a sport drink. Will have to try NUUN tablets sometime. I know many mt bikers that use it for long rides.

As for an emergency pick me up I would stay away from anything liquid but look into either some type of energy bars, candy or my new favorite Sport Beans by Jelly Belly.

Last edited:
"BUMP"

I was seriously considering buying one of those 5 hour energy things yesterday, but decided against it. I have elevated blood pressure, so I was concerned about buying one, (caffeine) getting hooked on them and always bringing them on my hikes. On my 2 hikes down here in the DC area, I have been zapped of energy about 50 percent earlier than normal, so I was wondering if something else could help to fix it. I use NUUN and Smartwater, and it doesn't really help too much, with the energy issue. Maybe I could try using some of those power gels.

I think I'm just not used to the awful humidity down here. Maybe the energy will pick up towards fall.

Zapped Energy

"BUMP"

I think I'm just not used to the awful humidity down here. Maybe the energy will pick up towards fall.

No doubt in my mind it is the hot temps and humidity in this area. We don't do anything extensive when its hot and humid cause we know we'll pay for it. It will zap your energy. Let's hope we have an early fall.

(I might add that we do like an occasional RockStar Coffee Drink or Starbucks Expresso Doubleshot though.)

Little D:)