Appalachian Trail: Rangeley To Stratton, ME- 8 4K's 7/5/12 - 7/8/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake L.

Reaction score
Day 1 Thursday: My two brothers and I parked our car at the Route 27 A.T. trailhead in Stratton and awaited our shuttle. We arranged a ride with Sue, the owner of the Stratton Motel and Maine Roadhouse, to drive us to the beginning of our hike in Rangeley. Sue arrived promptly in her Jeep accompanied by her trusty Poodle. I highly recommend anyone visiting this neck of the woods needing a ride or accomodations giving her a call. We arrived at the Route 4 trailhead and were hiking by 4:30 PM. Piazza Rock Campsite came and went, passing Eddy Pond and began our climb up Saddlebak. The clouds overhead were menacing as we approached the summit but the rain held off. A quick descent and a short climb brought us to the summit of The Horn and a beautiful blood orange sunset. Headlamps were donned and in no time were at Redington Stream Tentsite, home for the night.

Day 2 Friday: On the trail by 8:30 AM, and made our way up Saddlebak Jr. We had an astounding view back from whence we came and our entire route onward lay before us. Passing through Poplar Ridge Campsite we checked out the old "baseball bat" style floor in the lean-to and the "interesting" thru-hiker novels that were left behind. The descent to Orbeton Stream was VERY steep. While at the river we washed up and refilled water bottles. It was a very long climb to the top of Lone Mt. and the heat of the day was reaching full intensity. After gaining the Mt. Abraham junction we decided to drop packs and headed for the top. I had been looking forward to hiking this mountain most of all and the terrain and scenery was amazing! We crossed the talus fields and wound our way up towards the summit and took in the views from the "kings throne". I was very excited to spot a Luna Moth just behind the cairn, and snapped a few photos. First time ever seeing one! Back at the trail junction we shouldered our packs and trotted to Spaulding Tentsite.

Day 3 Saturday: Today was to be a short 7.5 miles so we slept in and were on the trail by 9:45 AM. Spaulding Mt. was a pleasant warmup to begin the day and were treking up Sugarloaf before we knew it. We ate lunch and shared the views with a few day hikers who had come up the ski trails and took a quick look inside the old gondola building. They really should fix that place up it's still in very solid shape. Down we went back to the junction and our final descent for the day. The Sun was REALLY beating down on us as we crossed a few open slides on the backside of Sugarloaf. Reaching the South Branch Carrabassett River we plunged into the cool water for some much needed refreshment, soaking for a good long time. We left the swimming hole making an early camp at Crocker Cirque Tensite and enjoyed a hearty dinner with games of rummy around the fire accompanied by large doses of "The Famous Grouse".

Day 4 Sunday: Boots on the ground at 8:30 AM, with cool temperatures and an overcast sky. After not too long we arrived at the summit of South Crocker, dropped packs and found our "herd path" towards Redington. The route was very straightforward giving us no trouble, albeit some fighting and cussing at the vegetation, and made good time. Once on the summit the clouds had cleared and we signed in at the canister before making our way back to South Crocker. Back at our packs we ate some lunch and made for our final summit, North Crocker. The climb was over all too soon and a final group photo taken. The 5.2 mile descent to Route 27 was over in just a couple hours and were back at our car by 3 PM. First things on our mind...Food and drink! I've passed "The Chuck Wagon" in Livermore Falls soo many times on my way to Sugarloaf and never gave it much attention, perhaps because of its namesake. We were all pleasantly surprised and will be back! This was a wonderful section of the AT and hiking it in one stretch with great company made it all the better!
Pictures below:
Picture%2520008.jpg

Picture%2520007.jpg

Picture%2520025.jpg

Picture%2520036.jpg

Picture%2520042.jpg

Picture%2520055.jpg

Picture%2520070.jpg

Picture%2520074.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! How was the crossing of Orbeton Stream? That baseball bat floor is quite the thing to sleep on. What an amazing area, I'm glad you had such a great trip!

Nice!! Thanks for the beta-- this is how I'd like to do those 8 remaining 4ks. Hopefully soon! Glad you had a good trip.

Sounds like a great backpack trip! I've only done those as day trips, and have always wanted to do the AT sections in between. I agree about the building on Sugarloaf. It's built like a tank, but in a sad state of disrepair. Great pics!

Petch

This sure brings back memories... That section was my first solo backpacking trip, and my first time hanging out with through-hiker bums. I really need to get back up there! Thanks for the fine pics and report.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Very nice! How was the crossing of Orbeton Stream? That baseball bat floor is quite the thing to sleep on. What an amazing area, I'm glad you had such a great trip!

The Orbeton Stream was not running too high. There were a few good spots to rock hop with no issue. I would want my thick inflatable if sleeping on the shelter floor at Poplar Ridge. Only one other shelter like this left!

Last edited:
We may have passed you coming down Saddleback - we arrived at our car on Route 4 around 5:30 after a nice day hike. Do you remember two old guys and one strikingly beautiful middle age female?

Any - weather permitted us to get just the three: Redington (logging roads), Saddleback and Horn. Going up again in two weeks to do Spaulding/Abe traverse. How was the S. Carrabassett crossing? Pepp

Great pics and report! That's a great stretch of the AT. Looked like ideal conditions.

Those luna moths almost look fake with that "glow-in-the-dark" green color. I saw one in the yard last week near a hickory tree which they apparently can feed on as caterpillars (thanks google)

Last edited:
We may have passed you coming down Saddleback - we arrived at our car on Route 4 around 5:30 after a nice day hike. Do you remember two old guys and one strikingly beautiful middle age female?

Any - weather permitted us to get just the three: Redington (logging roads), Saddleback and Horn. Going up again in two weeks to do Spaulding/Abe traverse. How was the S. Carrabassett crossing? Pepp

Yes! Just before reaching Piazza Rock I remember you three, especially the stunning female :). The South Carrabassett was very easy to cross with plenty of exposed rocks. There was a rickety plank lashed with a steel cable across one expanse that's not very safe and should be thrown aside. Lots of cracking sounds when weighted making the other options much more appealing.

Great report!

In fact, I just called Sue to inquire about the shuttle, which was very reasonably priced, imho.

I've never been there, so it's hard to tell, but do you know if you can spend the night in the gondola building?

I did a lot of that on the LT. :D

No. The former gondola building is considered closed and off-limits. There are also no sanitary facilities up there.