Appreciating gear on Fishin' Jimmy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I was in the Kinsman/Cannon area. The thing I remembered most was the mix of pines and birches and how they make the area seem very open and airy while still being quite well grown in.

I spent a day hiking up to North and South Kinsman via the Lonesome Lake, Fishin’ Jimmy and Kinsman Ridge trails. Seems the thing I forgot was the variety of hiking terrain on these trails. There are even some sections where there’s no gravity. Lonesome Lake trail up to the hut is a well worn path with a few somewhat steep sections to it but nothing overly so. It approaches the hut as a nice, flat walk through the pines along the lake.

Fishin’ Jimmy starts out somewhat like Lonesome Lake. But then it get’s a bit more challenging.

I hike almost exclusively when there’s snow on the ground and mostly solo. I’m a big fan of traction for the energy savings you get from the reduced slipping and from less of chance of a fall that can be more of a problem if you’re alone. If the snow is deep enough to cover all the rocks I’ve got snow shoes on. Else it’s MicroSpikes or crampons.

Today was no exception and so far it’s unfortunately a MicroSpike winter. The ‘Spikes worked well on Lonesome Lake and I took them all the way to the top of South Kinsman. There were sections, though, where I was pushing them to the limit. Fishin’ Jimmy has a lot of ups and down along the way and quite a few of the ups get pretty steep. I assume there’s a lot of rock but, having never been on it in other than winter, I see only the ice that has built up on those rocks. This day, going up Fishin’ Jimmy, I was working hard to keep my feet as flat on that ice as possible for maximum traction while thinking to my self “I really should switch to crampons”. I said that on just about every ice covered steep section. Including a few on Kinsman Ridge.

Well on the way back I stopped in the low area between South and North Kinsman and switched to crampons. I then did those few little trips I do when I first put those long spikes on and started to work my way down. What a difference. Yes, the quads were burning from simply walking down a steep with my feet firmly planted but the body was much more relaxed and comfortable. As I got to the ice flows that are in a few places on Kinsman Ridge and plentiful on Fishin’ Jimmy it was a lot more reassuring to have that solid footing. While still working to make sure I had as many points as possible in contact with the ice I was able to move much more quickly and easily down (and sometimes up) as I headed back.

I took the crampons as far as Lonesome Lake hut, where I switched back to my ‘Spikes, and was able to continue the quad burn with the ‘Spikes down the switchbacks to Lafayette campground.

A nice hike. A good workout. An appreciation of the right tool for the job.

The weather wasn't ideal for my little camera but I managed so snap a few shots of the day...

You should check out the Hillsound Trail Pro Crampon discussion. Shorter but still 10 points likely would have been ideal for those conditions and much easier to walk on.

Last edited:
I've been following it it's hard to justify that one more piece of gear when your daughter is filling out college applications. :D
Ain't that the truth.

If you feel compelled to do the Kinsmans in winter again, I'd highly recommend approaching them from the western side. It's a bit longer drive if you're coming from Maine, but there are sections of woods that are very beautiful. The grades are more more consistent as well, but perhaps most important (at least for me) is that in an open winter like this one - the ice flows are not as much of an issue. You pop out on the ridge not too far from where the Fishin Jimmy comes out.

If you feel compelled to do the Kinsmans in winter again, I'd highly recommend approaching them from the western side. ... You pop out on the ridge not too far from where the Fishin Jimmy comes out.

I saw the sign for that Kevin and thought it might be worth a look.

Another option I've used from "this side" is Cascade Brook to Kinsman Pond trail. It was a bunch of years ago but I remember following moose tracks up a pretty smooth path.

Though there are signs on Lonesome Lake trail that the bridge at the beginning of Cascade Brook trail has been washed out so you'd need to start on one of the trails further north. Maybe up Lonesome Lake then backtrack on Cascade Brook near the hut.

Hi Stash! Another option to the Hillsounds are the MilSpecs from Sportsmans Guide. Yeah I know they sell cheesy crap but I got two pairs at about $17 ea. and they are very much like the Hillsounds. They do sell them as "one size fits all" so I had to take up on the chains on my daughters and add to the chains on mine. They tend to stay in place on boots better than the microspikes, are more aggressive and save me from wearing out my crampons in mixed conditions. My wife calls them my Macrospikes since they are longer than the Microspikes!:D I often carry both since they are light and if I had an equipment failure one would back up the other so I would not have to spend time on repairs. I second Kevins recommendation on the westside. I have done both and look forward to coming up that way in the winter. Very nice peak part way up with views to the west on the way up that has large open ledgy areas. I believe its called Bald Mountain but my map is not handy. Happy Trails!;)