Are these dudes Nuts or what?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were physically and financially able to do this I would. It sounds like fun to me.

-Dr. Wu

That sounds like a sweet trip. Nice to see there are still things on this earth that haven't been done already.

I hope they get to say hi to Santa... :rolleyes:

-Shayne

Besides the cold, wind, darkness and fatigue, they'll probably have to watch for an 800 pound polar bear jumping out at them or stalking the campsites from the smell of food.
A mentally and physically demanding trip. I agree with the comment about how nice it is to still think of things that haven't been done already.

carole said:
One book I totally enjoyed was: "Polar Dream", "The heroic saga of the first solo journey by a woman and her dog to the Pole", "In 1988 Helen Thayer set off to do what no other woman had ever done: ski to the North Pole." "A page-turner..."
That was the Magnetic North Pole. Massive difference.

Doug

... on the other hand, as frigid as it is, the north polar winter weather is actually more stable than the summer weather. In addition, the ocean is frozen solid, diminishing the risks and detours of open water.

With today's technology a winter trek is far less daunting than, say, during Perry's time and I wonder what they'll have in that 300 lb. pack. They will need light or infrared technology for this, the hummocks and piled up blocks of ice don't lend themselves for easy sledding.

I saw a program on Mike Horn a couple months ago. The journeys this guy has attempted and completed is mind boggling. This must be one of his first expeditions with a partner, he generally goes solo and usually lives off the land. He is from S. Africa and has circumnavigated the globe at the equator, and circumnavigated the north pole solo. Lost several of his fingers on one hand from frostbite during a test run for the north pole circumnavigation and still went ahead with it despite doctors recommendations to hold off till the stubbs healed. Fasinating story, amazing guy.