Are we hardwired to hate exercise? article

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
An interesting article on exercise

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...04250252788528.html?google_editors_picks=true

I personally can only tolerate 25 minutes max on my stair climber (or any machine) and even that is a stretch but if I dont get out hiking once a week, I definitely miss it. As folks who have hiked with me will testify, I have one speed up hill and if I try to exceed it for any period of time, I end up in the stop and go mode, (which I despise) . I can force myself to go slower and worse case there is always the rest step that almost qualifies for the ministry of silly walks.

This issue is modern. It's a "luxury" that we can exist for years by only getting out of bed, to a car, to a desk and back again. I read an article that we are getting dumber ( over millenia ) due to a lack of critical mental challenges as well. Totally agree. Get out to hunt, gather, farm and defend your life on a daily basis and you won't need to find an interesting way to exercise.

Last edited:
An interesting article on exercise

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...04250252788528.html?google_editors_picks=true

I personally can only tolerate 25 minutes max on my stair climber (or any machine) and even that is a stretch but if I dont get out hiking once a week, I definitely miss it. As folks who have hiked with me will testify, I have one speed up hill and if I try to exceed it for any period of time, I end up in the stop and go mode, (which I despise) . I can force myself to go slower and worse case there is always the rest step that almost qualifies for the ministry of silly walks.

Wow... that sounds like me. Love hiking. I have one speed. Slow and steady.

I also HATE exercise on what I call the "artificial" stuff. My husband has a rower and he for some god forsaken reason "loves it." I can't ride a rower, a stationary bike, treadmill, or nordictrack or any other stupid gadget. I always wonder what an alien would think of humans riding these ridiculous contraptions at will!! How stupid we must look! I would much rather go outside for a walk/jog/hike/xc ski/horseback ride/kayak whatever than be inside doing an artificial thing. it just makes no sense. I get to enjoy nature and mentally I feel better like I am doing it because I have a choice, rather than because I have to. But then again most things we humans do makes no sense to me. I agree with the hunter/gatherer statement.

One thing I for some reason don't mind doing is weight lifting, somehow that seems different, even though it isn't but I try and get as much natural weight lifting to keep fit, (hauling wood, water buckets, etc).

I tend to think that humans are lazy and are always looking for the short cut.

I'm curious how many here developed a love of physical activity at a young age that carried into adulthood. I think it's so critical to the topic in the WSJ article. I came from that sandlot baseball/football, "be back before dinner" culture where exploring the neighborhood and surrounding environs was what we did for fun. Naturally, entering the workforce changed that dynamic, but luckily by my early twenties I was making regular exercise a part of my life again. I guess my point is that we often get a liking/tolerance for high levels of activity at a young age, and hopefully this exposure has a lasting positive impression.

The artificial thing is great for a number of reasons. Doing one thing is great if that is what you always do. During cycling season, cyclists are encourage to only cycle. During the off season, it is good to build leg strength in the gym, and to maintain cardiovascular fitness on indoor trainers (outdoor is fine if you can stand the cold or have gear to deal with it.) It is also very handy to cross-train so as not to get too lopsided - which can cause injury. These days, I tend to do core and upper-body stuff at the gym, and occasionally do the stairmaster or training under my bike. I do prefer to be outdoors, but maintaining muscle mass that naturally declines with age is an important part of staying health, keeping your metabolism up, weight in check, etc. And it helps prevent injury.

It's not always fun, I agree. I can tolerate an hour on the training or stairmaster without going crazy... as long as there is decent music (trainer) or something on TV (stairmaster.)

Tim

The artificial thing is great for a number of reasons. Doing one thing is great if that is what you always do. During cycling season, cyclists are encourage to only cycle. During the off season, it is good to build leg strength in the gym, and to maintain cardiovascular fitness on indoor trainers (outdoor is fine if you can stand the cold or have gear to deal with it.) It is also very handy to cross-train so as not to get too lopsided - which can cause injury. These days, I tend to do core and upper-body stuff at the gym, and occasionally do the stairmaster or training under my bike. I do prefer to be outdoors, but maintaining muscle mass that naturally declines with age is an important part of staying health, keeping your metabolism up, weight in check, etc. And it helps prevent injury.

It's not always fun, I agree. I can tolerate an hour on the training or stairmaster without going crazy... as long as there is decent music (trainer) or something on TV (stairmaster.)

Tim

I don't love the artificial thing but found that even with my level of activity working at home and hiking with my dogs as I age my body was withering. I read you lose muscle mass with age so I went back to the gym. It only took 1 week before I started to feel stronger and more flexible overall. It's only 90 minutes total/day including the short ride to and from. I never liked this kind of exercise but what I liked even less was the ongoing deterioration. I do the elliptical, the bike (for my bum knee) and 4 cybex for lower body,3 for upper body. It's just enough and I if I don't "feel" like going, I just tell myself "It's not an option. End of discussion!" I never mind it once I am in the room and get going. It's a scary feeling to wither away and given a choice I would rather go to the gym. :D

I'm curious how many here developed a love of physical activity at a young age that carried into adulthood. I think it's so critical to the topic in the WSJ article. I came from that sandlot baseball/football, "be back before dinner" culture where exploring the neighborhood and surrounding environs was what we did for fun. Naturally, entering the workforce changed that dynamic, but luckily by my early twenties I was making regular exercise a part of my life again. I guess my point is that we often get a liking/tolerance for high levels of activity at a young age, and hopefully this exposure has a lasting positive impression.

I agree with this as well. I was the kid who was always out til' dark andwas off riding my bike, playing "dodgeball" walking around town as a preteen then in high school started running, road cycling, riding horses, going into adulthood started hiking, xc skiing, running, mtn biking. So I think what I did as a kid impacted what I've done to date. Alos early on I had jobs that were physical.

I agree with this as well. I was the kid who was always out til' dark andwas off riding my bike, playing "dodgeball" walking around town as a preteen then in high school started running, road cycling, riding horses, going into adulthood started hiking, xc skiing, running, mtn biking. So I think what I did as a kid impacted what I've done to date. Alos early on I had jobs that were physical.

The article touches on people who are dealing with declining physical performance in later years, but I'm curious about people who were never physical in youth, and how that affects their attitude towards exercise later in life.

I'm curious how many here developed a love of physical activity at a young age that carried into adulthood..

I grew up in South Alabama. My parents gave me a bike, and set boundaries as to where I wasn't allowed to go. All in all, I had about 7 sq miles of land I was allowed to explore... mostly woods. For me, it wasn't the labor and exercise that carried over to adulthood as much as it was the sense of adventure... never knowing what was around the next bend, or what interesting thing might be under a log.

I hate to exercise... but throughout my whole life, I've found myself taking paths, trails, and roads for the sole purpose of seeing where they go, and what the journey will be like.

I grew up in South Alabama. My parents gave me a bike, and set boundaries as to where I wasn't allowed to go. All in all, I had about 7 sq miles of land I was allowed to explore... mostly woods. For me, it wasn't the labor and exercise that carried over to adulthood as much as it was the sense of adventure... never knowing what was around the next bend, or what interesting thing might be under a log.

I hate to exercise... but throughout my whole life, I've found myself taking paths, trails, and roads for the sole purpose of seeing where they go, and what the journey will be like.

Totally agree with you. The opportunity for a new adventure is what gets me outdoors doing the things I like to do. Hiking, skiing, ice fishing, regular fishing, camping, exploratory bushwhacks, tracking, hunting, cowboy action shooting, kayaking. It's all about the adventure, the experience, what's around the next bend and challenging my body to get there!

The article touches on people who are dealing with declining physical performance in later years, but I'm curious about people who were never physical in youth, and how that affects their attitude towards exercise later in life.

I was brought up in a rural area (at the time), and we had a small farm. The most I did as a youth was play outside, work a little on the farm, and ride my bike in the back 40. Had no exposure to anything else. This all changed when I heard the "call of the wild" in my mid 20's. I got a dog, and took a ride in my car, had no idea where I would end up because I could not read a map. (We had not left town much in my youth.) Crossed the state line in VT and saw the sign for Ft Dummer State park. I checked on this prompto, and found "trails" and places to "camp". I was in love and never looked back. Suffice it to say my parents were appalled and even more so when I dedicated every spare moment I had to skiing at MT TOM. I became a runner, a skier, a backpacker, a hiker, a mt biker. I did most of it solo with the dogs. You can well imagine what the family had to say about this. I was undaunted and in love!

I really believe that "we are what we repeatedly do." I met a few on my journey who didn't start hiking or skiing until their later years and loved it. Same with the gym. I see many start but they don't seem to stick with it. A few seem to persist. I made the mistake of thinking I didn't need it because I was plenty active but my body related a different story. The first gym I checked out was the one up the street to train for my OB expedition. I was 61. I am now 70 and I think we might be friends for a long time to come. Sure hope so. Lesson learned.

To this I will add that recently I met a few women who I graduated high school with. They never had exposure in their youth to exercise. Try as I might all three of them quit going on even gently walks after 2-5 x respectively. When I mentioned "gym" they all laughed and were mortified at the suggestion. Suffice it to say they are all very lame. It's so foreign to them and they just don't believe in themselves enough to try it. "It's for young people" and they would be "embarrassed". There is no convincing them otherwise.

I don't know if this helps with your question or not. Just my "2 cents"!

Last edited:

I don't hate exercise per se, but i do use my love of outdoor adventure to fuel my motivation for exercise. I don't care much for gyms but have gone to them grudgingly.

I think we are hard wired to look for efficiency. Gym workout is a modern concept, as others have said, rather than a requirement for living at the most basic level.

I don't know if this helps with your question or not. Just my "2 cents"!

Thanks, Maddy. I can imagine that some people find physical exertion, especially at a high level, somewhat uncomfortable or even scary, and for that reason avoid it. Some people with compromised cardiovascular health should rightly be wary of overexertion.

Beyond what the article brought up, I was thinking that perhaps our increasingly sedentary lifestyles--from childhood in particular--might be a factor in our being "hard wired against exercise."

I think we are hard wired to look for efficiency. Gym workout is a modern concept, as others have said, rather than a requirement for living at the most basic level.

"efficiency" now that is well stated. I suppose hunter gatherer's became quite efficient as part of survival, now it might be called "laziness!!!"

I'm fascinated by people (particuarly those whom I work with) who don't get out into nature and excercise. My boss, my colleagues none of them have ever been outdoorsey people. My boss grew up in NYC and to my knowledge she has never ever exercised at a gym (probably because she is a workaholic) or done anything fun outside. My colleagues (2 in paticular whom I am thinking of) both never were active as children from what I have "heard" by them and continue to go back and forth with the struggle with the gym, rather than just take a walk outside! I cannot for the life of me get the concept of not being out in nature. I just couldn't imagine a life without being in the woods, or being with animals, etc. I would love to understand it though?!

Great topic!

I guess my point is that we often get a liking/tolerance for high levels of activity at a young age, and hopefully this exposure has a lasting positive impression.

I think this is essential - being very active at a young age embeds habits that CAN stay with you for life. I biked 8 miles each way to school through junior and high school, which I think had a lot to do with keeping a mindset about you that a high level of activity is your "normal" state of existence.

There is also something I call the "discomfort threshold", which for me is the feeling I sometimes get when starting a run - for the first few minutes, my body and mind resist the desire to exercise, and all manner of excuses will zip through my head about why I should be doing something else or tell me that I am "too tired", etc. If I can simply ignore this stage for 5 or 10 minutes, everything turns around and the effort becomes much easier, even pleasurable. I think the further you are from optimal fitness, the more difficult and long this threshold will be, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to get back into shape. And for me , whether it's a real-world hike, or cranking away on a Stairmaster, it's the same sensation.

We're hardwired to be lazy. Resist!

There is also something I call the "discomfort threshold", which for me is the feeling I sometimes get when starting a run - for the first few minutes, my body and mind resist the desire to exercise, and all manner of excuses will zip through my head about why I should be doing something else or tell me that I am "too tired", etc. If I can simply ignore this stage for 5 or 10 minutes, everything turns around and the effort becomes much easier, even pleasurable. I think the further you are from optimal fitness, the more difficult and long this threshold will be, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to get back into shape. And for me , whether it's a real-world hike, or cranking away on a Stairmaster, it's the same sensation.

Oh, I hear you on that point: My favorite workout is a 5K trail run (up a hill and back) with about 700ft gain, chin-ups on a tree limb on top, push-ups on a cliff, then back down again. I can't tell you how many times I've felt "iffy" on starting, then great when getting back to the car. It's been my normal workout regimen for over 20 yrs, and I've since adapted it to other trails. It's relatively quick, giving a good workout on a short, scenic route, in a fresh air outdoor environment. :) (I'm hitting it after work today with microspikes). I've seen that scenario you mentioned so many times that I know I can show up questioning myself, and end up feeling better at the end.

". I just couldn't imagine a life without being in the woods, or being with animals, etc. I would love to understand it though?!

Great topic!

Dittos!

I will never relate to it and and have no desire to. I believe that my obsession with being out in nature is as strong to me as is my peer's obsession to spend money in a mall, going on cruises, etc. I made an attempt to join in with the "other side" and I hated every minute. We grew old together in the workplace and they added a new obsession. Plastic surgery! I had my sights set on more goretex and the latest new improved gear. They never understood me and I never understood them.

I recall getting home from my OB course and I related a little bit of the story to my knitting group. One of them blurted out with complete disgust "Why would you do such a thing?" She originated from NYC and loved it. There is no explaining a great adventure in Ely MN, in subzero temps to her. None of them "get" me and I don't "get" them. I think when all is said and done we are a rare breed! I am very proud of being a "mini-mountaineer". That's a hiker without a rope!

When I returned home from my OB course, I was asked to give a talk to the 2nd grade in one of our local schools. The kids were so excited and for good reason. I was like a visitor from another planet. I brought my backpack, gear, skis, and a stuffed Husky dog. Lots of pics. Only one child in the entire group had ever been camping, and 1-2 had been on a "hike". I felt badly because they were so open to this kind of thing, yet in my heart I knew that few... if any... would experience it. As for my neighbors, parents complain that they cannot get their "bundles of joy" away from the video games. I have an answer to this but I doubt they would be interested in hearing it. The parents don't participate in any form of exercise. They do smoke. Apples don't fall far from the tree. We resist change and I think once the pattern is set, it's very difficult to convince anyone to try something new and different. Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes the world go round.

I can only hope that some kids will have BUCK's blood in their veins, and if they hear the "call of the wild", they will gather up their courage and follow it.

Last edited: