Arizona hiking trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I'm still in Tucson, but thought I'd post a quick trip report that Spencer, Maddie, Rik, or Brian can add further comments.

We flew into Phoenix and drove up to Sedona. If you haven't been to Sedona yet, picture a smaller version of Lake Placid surrounded on all sides by magnificent red sandstone towers and buttes, glowing in the morning and evening light. The "beautiful" poople discoved Sedona years ago, and while gorgeous, its being loved to death.

Sedona is set around 4,000' elevation. While high by eastern standards, it doesn't do much to acclimitize you for climbing a 12,633' peak, something I fretted over for quite a while when looking for high trailheads and prep hikes in the 3 days before climbing onto Arizona's Roof. The idea was to gradually move upward over those few days, to higher trailheads and destinations, and at the same time not wear ourselves out. On all my previous little forays out west, we've always slept our first evening higher than Sedona, and in a few days, camping at between 8,000'-10,000'. A combination of acclimitizing while at our sleeping/eating site, and spending our days gradually increasing our elevations has always made 13ers and 14ers done without altitude problems. As one of the organizers of the trip, I felt responsible for everyone having a fun and enjoyable experience.

Monday - Fly into Phoenix and drive to Sedona.
Tuesday - Climb East Pocket Lookout. While hot, the really dry conditions and a million switchbacks made the 2,000' ascent to the summit firetower fairly easy. Located at 7,200', this wooden tower was manned by a great warden, a young guy expecting his first child and looking forward to the end of the fire season. The cab had a bed, food, as well as fire spotting equipment and we received a lesson in how to spot and report the position of a forest fire. He also had an "electric chair", complete with glass insulators on each leg to sit in during the frequent summer electrical storms that shoot lightning bolts at all the mountains around him. He was also a naturalist, and is looking forward to hiking with us in the ADKs some day. He said that while it looks like the greatest job in the world, it gets lonely after a few years.
Wednesday - We drove up to the south Rim of the Grand Canyon and hiked the Rim trail for about 3 miles(average elev 7,000'). The Grand Canyon is, well, "Grand", and my ability to describe it would not do it justice. Deservedly, one of the 8 Wonders of the World. And, I almost forgot. We were treated to an aeriel display by 4-6 of worlds few remaining California Condors. One flew 20' overhead. Goosebumps, still.
Thursday - Drove up past Flagstaff and hiked up into the meadows south of the San Francisco Peaks (Humphrey's Peak and others). We brought books, newpapers, and cameras, with some of us spending the afternoon lounging around alpine meadows acclimitizing between 9,500' and above. Brian and Spence did a little higher exploration to get a glimpse of the following day's objective. A few in the group spotted an Elk on the way back to the car.
Friday - We drove back up past Flag and meet Rik and Charlene in the Humphrey's trailhead parking lot(elev 9,300'). Cool and breezy, perfect hiking weather, but you could hear the wind up high. The first couple of hours we hiked thru the forest, smooth, dry, well-graded trails, gradually switching back and forth.
As we climb higher, we pick up more views to the south, and the breeze down low becomes a stronger wind. Approaching treeline, we see Bristlecone pines, considered the oldest living species on Earth. Eventually we reach a high col, for the final 1 mile to the summit, the true top hidden. The wind becomes stronger, until the final climb up the summit cone its blowing at gale force, making it impossible to walk upright. After "Grouching walking" in between higher gusts, we each reached the summit at different times, jumping behind the rock windbreak and enjoying the views and having lunch.
Summit temps were in the low 50's, with a windchill much cooler.
The return to the cars was uneventful and the group enjoyed a final meal in Sedona that evening.
My thanks for a terrific week that included Brian, Maddie, Spencer and Rik from the Board, Charlene(Rik's wife), and my two long-time hiking buddies, Neil and Rick. It was a cordial and friendly group, and one I'd go anywhere with again. Also to Rob and Carla, our hosts, who unfortunately could not make the trip after contributing so much to its success.

Peakbagr

Alan, excellent TR. Seems you saw lots in the days preceding your summit. I bet the fire warden would be as thrilled to nestle in our green mountains as you were to be in his red ones. Great group to be with no doubt. Anticipating wonderful pictures...

Last edited:
I have lots of pictures still in my digital camera here in Tucson. Heading back east tomorrow morning. 6 of the 8 of us had cameras, so there will be some nice pictures.
Most of my pictures are a meg or larger and am hoping Darren can help me put up a sample of the pictures on the board.

Alan

Sorry I was not able to make it out there with you guys, but you know we'll get lots more opportunities to hike together soon, and I look forward to it. Sounds like a great trip.

Time to start planning 2.0 ;)

A couple of our group got up a bit ahead. Between 4-5 hours, taking plenty of time for pictures, talk, and catching our breath.
Tucson is a great place. From everywhere you walk or drive, you can see mountains. The Rincons, Catalinas, Tucson Mts, Finger Rock, Mt Lemmon, and then all those peaks a little further out in every direction.

My sister lives just off Sabino Canyon Rd. I look up at mountains everywhere.
We were out at a friends last evening. They're out near Coyote Creek in the foothills of the Rincons, watching heat lightning all evening from their patio.

Last edited:
Did you hike at all in Tucson?

You have to at least say that you did... Finger rock canyon... Mt. Wrightson... please tell me you hiked out there. Bear Canyon??? Seven Falls... you're right there!!!

Heat lightning is nice and all...

Awesome...

~J

My pictures (over 300 of them!) will take a few days for me to set up. I'm not even unpacked yet and still need to pack for this weekend in the ADKs!
Great trip and great company!

Hi Alan,

So glad to hear you all had a great time and everything went well. The hike sounds awesome! We were with you in spirit and thought about you every evening. Looking forward to the pictures.

Time to start planning 2.0 ;)

Yeah, Carla wants to go back to Tahoe. Anyone game?? :D

Rob

I was staying with family. My sister and parents live in different parts of Tucson and I don't get a chance to see them often.
A combination of family stuff, some birding, and the fact that its been high 90's low 100's in Tucson, kept me from doing any hiking.
I'll be back in December and I'm hoping to do a couple of hikes.
You can see Finger Rock, Mt Lemmon and the Rincons from my sister's old house. Now she lives just off Sabino Canyon Rd.

With family living out there, there's plenty of time for hiking. I was hoping to climb the Tanque Verde ridge and Rincon Peak. Maybe in December.

Stealing my thunder

Okay Peakbgr!!! I finally have a hike worth posting about and you very aptly described the entire journey. Although you were kind enough to not say I was the last one of our group to the top. It was definitely a great day and I just kept feeling sorry for all of you. I am grateful that you all took pictures and hopefuullt I will be able to have an avatar now. Audrey the total hike time was about 8 hours. It was my personal high point and everyone was very gracious in letting me hike "my way". Even though you all thought I was nuts in short sleeves and shorts while you all had pants, coats, gloves and such. Charlene thanks for the concern and use of your hat to keep my scalp from burning. All of you made my first trip to Arizona remarkable. We never know when life circumstances will change and memories will last me a lifetime. A special thanks to peak_bgr and peakbgr for encouraging me to join the climb. It was great meeting new friends and visiting with old (no insult intended). Peakbgr is absolutely correct about the awesomeness of the Condors. It was wonderful how well maintained Humphrie's trail was. And the meadow the day before was a great place to lay back and take it all in while reading a good book.

Last edited:
I climbed Humphreys in April 2004. Still needed snowshoes and ascended via the ski trails to Agassiz vice the hiking trail. The view of the Painted Desert from the summit was incredible. Can't wait to see the pics!

bushwacker said:
it was a great trip and all my pictures are up on my site finally.

www.adkbushwacks.com

Great shots, Bushwacker!! Your Sedona and Grand Canyon pics brings back a lot of memories. Arizona is an amazing place. It's so neat that you can go from 110 or 120 degree heat in Tuscon or Phoenix to downright chilly temps in Flagstaff or the Grand Canyon. I have always especially loved Sedona since it's midway between the hot desert and the cooler, higher elevation forests. Many folks don't realize that Sedona, at about 4200 ft elevation, actually gets snow. Doesn't last very long, but sure makes a pretty picture in the morning! And the Grand Canyon as well ...... the south rim, I think the elevation is around 7000 ft, gets plenty of snow. Humphrey's Peak, IIRC, gets over 200 inches per year, or something like that. The wife & I are considering retiring in Sedona some day ......... I want to be able to ski in the morning and get a sun tan in the afternoon! :p :D