AT thru hikers in VT - timing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
Hey everyone,

For a couple years now I've been wanting to provide some trail magic at road crossings here in VT. With Dawn (hikethe115) out there right now I thought this would be a good year to give it a try. I'm looking for some input about when the best time for doing this would be. (when is the greatest throughput of thru hikers?) When I was on the LT/AT in mid Aug. in 2004 we met a handful of AT thru hikers. But I don't know if that's the best time.
I'd like to load up a cooler with soda, beer, fresh veggies, fruit, maybe some pies, baked goods, etc. and set up at a road crossing along the AT/LT. Anyone ever done this before/have any suggestions?

Thanks.

I've also met thru hikers near the MA/CT border in early to mid-August. I haven't setup along a roadside but I always bring extra food for them when I go backpacking. Last time, I brought them hot dogs and they were eternally grateful since you can have campfires in MA (excluding Sages Ravine). It's a great idea!!! If I lived closer to the AT, I would be doing the same thing.

It'll be interesting to see what people have done and how they handle that.
I think I'd skip the beer fearing it'd end up with a couple teenagers, but...

"Kevin" here helps organize an annual weekend event on the AT at the RPH shelter in NY that they advertise down the line. The local club members and conscripts do some trail maintenance and set up breakfast, lunch and dinner for thru hikers; food, fruit, beverages, grills, etc. for a couple days.

I've seen a few entries so far this season of Nobo's at the Little Rock Pond Shelter in the Danby VT area. (Pre 4th of July)

What about this? Try getting in touch with the caretaker's at Stratton Pond, Griffith Pond, or other shelter/tentsite area that has one, and see what they say? Prolly contacting the GMC is a good place to start.

When I lived on the AT border in NY, the bulk of the Nobo's came through in early to mid June. Given that timing, right about now is when I'd expect to see them moving through VT. For a fit thruhiker, its only 10-14 days from the NY/CT border area to VT.

Trail magic is fun. A couple of summers ago in NY I placed little "cairns" of farm fresh peaches and tomatoes along a 20 mile stretch of the AT from the CT border southward, twenty pounds in total spread out in little piles of 2 x 2. :D

Quite a few southbounders heading through NH right now, seems like the mass amount of northbounders hit VT mid July to mid Aug, but like Trailbiscuit says.........no bad time for trail magic!!!

Anything that doesn't have to be carried on your own back (as you know) is definately appreiciated!!

I remember a couple trail magic coolers that left disposable cameras and a notebook for hikers to say thank you or whatever.........I'm sure they had some "interesting" pictures on those little cameras once developed......as people say thanks in different ways ;) But what a great idea!

Reactions: arm
Not to discourage anyone from offering trail magic, but the ATC and local maintaining clubs are trying to seriously discourage unattended food on the trail. You can imagine problems with animals, trash, or even malicious intent. If unattended coolers are found, they may be removed by maintainers. Distributing food in person at trailside, as Toe Cozy proposes, is the way to go.

DebW said:
Not to discourage anyone from offering trail magic, but the ATC and local maintaining clubs are trying to seriously discourage unattended food on the trail. You can imagine problems with animals, trash, or even malicious intent. If unattended coolers are found, they may be removed by maintainers. Distributing food in person at trailside, as Toe Cozy proposes, is the way to go.

Besides, much of the fun would be seeing the faces, chatting with people, getting little bits of stories. Sort of a vicarious trail experience for a day. This Sunday I may give it a try. Bring a book, a journal, some tunes to keep me entertained while I hang out someplace and see who might come by. If anything comes of it, I'll post a little update.

Hi there!

We are currently hiking the Long Trail, and are at our first town break in Manchester Center, Vermont. All the motels were quite full because there was a horse show, but we got help from a guy from "The mountain goat": he called hotels for us, and we we've found one, he even drove us there! Just to say that a little help from the outside is VERY VERY welcome ! So, "bravo" for your help and will to help!, and there is never bad timing :)

Hey Chabela...maybe I'll see you out on the trail then. I am just sitting here at work looking at the gazetteer trying to decide where to set up. I was thinking where the LT/AT crosses REC 10. Do you know if there are many other hikers coming up behind you? Sorry for all the rain in VT! These mountains are green for a good reason!!! ;-) Have fun in town.

We hiked on the AT from Woodstock to West Hartford, VT and from Dartmouth Skiway to NH25A, last weekend, and there are a decent number of thru-hikers in both sections, SOBO and NOBO, coming through. As a former (attempted) thru-hiker, I have to say that coming across a cooler with cold drinks on a hot summer day, or coming to a road crossing and seeing someone there with a bit of trail magic was the best! Always boosted our spirits :) Have fun with it!

Little update

Nothing too exciting. On Saturday we set out for the AT/LT crossing on REC 10 in VT with a cooler of Cokes, juice, beer, cookies, cantaloupe, blueberries, ect. It was a gorgeous day and this Green Mountain National Forest road is quite lovely. We only had one thru hiker between about 12 and 3:15 pm. I think his trail name was Route 66. I think it might another week and there will be more hikers coming through. But, we sat in the woods, I read my book, Chip played the guitar and we enjoyed the dappled light and the wind in the trees. Can't complain about that really. A lot better than mowing the stupid lawn!