Ausable Clob road to Ausable Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: They don't wave because they're not hikers - and we are. That's the difference

shadowcat said:
i've walked the rd several times to reach various trailheads and when i have seen someone they have always waived - or i have waived first! (why is it folks always comment about other pegesture!" )
and the old guy who looks like "rip van winkle" he's such a sweet heart. hey he can come across like some grumbly old man but he's not, not if you are nice to him. and if you try to be nice and someone gives you the cold shoulder- let it pass. who knows why theyople not waiving to them - waive first! maybe the person on the other end is thinking the same thing you are "why don't those hikers ever waive to us?" we let them use our roads and they don't even appreciate it enough to tip us a friendly are that way, maybe they're having a bad day or maybe they're just jerks - who cares, doesn't affect my world!

On that particular trip I waved first :) I always wave and sometimes I am told I am to friendly :D

perspective

i think it's all about keeping things in perspective. sometimes people get bent out of shape over the most insignificant things. wave, no wave -- what does it really matter? how many times have we passed people in hallways at work, on the sidewalk, in the mall - do you smile, say hello? do you wave at every person you see on a bike or walking as you pass them in your car? you just can't make generalities about a group of people based on whether or not they respond to you as they pass you hiking. it ain't a big deal my peeps! :D

and don't ever worry about being too friendly 1adam12, even if the other person doesn't give a crap, you'll feel good.

Some thoughts here on the Lake Road... the bus was available before the trails were on my schedule so I never had a ride (and there were times many had to wait for space). Before I walked it, I didn't like the idea of adding 7 miles RT to each hike.

BUT, here's the good news - the road is a gem! It's a nice warm-up in the morning and it's a no-brainer at the end of the hike. Our group added the comfort of taking along sneakers on day hikes - even more comfortable! We looked forward to the change and to the walk out. It's also great for conversation because you can walk several abroad, and the road works with you - slight elevation gain going in (warm-up)... gentle coming out. You barely need a light if it's dark.

I'm glad they stopped the bus. The walk... rather than mentally letting it get to me - I let it work for me. And then what happens?? Someone (no names mentioned but you'd know it) stops and offers us a ride out... and I had to think about it!! Took it... but actually thought about it first!

Mav,

I've been around the AMR since the 70's and used the bus on and off every couple of years. When it was discontinued for the general public, it was $10 r/t. I remember this becuse I thought the cost increase was steep at the time it was announced. While lightly used by non-members during the day, the bus was often jammed on the morning ride in. What I heard from AMR members was that there were enough hassles between hikers and members for it to be worth continuing the bus for limited revenue.

I rode the bus once. It was 1993 and what I remember about it was that it smelled. Pretty strong body odor. I think the price was only a couple of bucks but I'm not real sure how much I paid. I also found it amusing that there was a separate bus stop for the "public". The members would get on and then the bus would stop for the "public". At the end of the road it would drop off the "public" and then continue to the lake with members. On the way out we had a choice of hurrying to catch the last bus or walking the road. We walked. Been walking ever since. I don't mind the road. Like bubba I find it a good warm up and cool down. It is some pretty fast miles even in winter. It also makes a lovely beginners ski.

Yesterday I walked the road as part of the Nippletop/Dial circle,
and I thought that the road walk alongside the full brook was the most beautiful part of the hike, certainly better than the eroded or very muddy trails. (Of course, the view from the top was great!)

As i walked out the last part of the road, I thought that the prohibition against bicylces might be circumvented by riding a large tricyle.

In spite of the mud, a nice long walk; as a dayhike from nh, i get to drive across the greens twice in a day, (and the ticondiroga ferry)...almost as good as the hike.

I rode the bus once back in 1992 on a trip up Sawteeth. We rode it in and walked out. Sometimes I still wish it was there, but the road does make a nice warm-up.

going out i like to take the road becouse it is a good warm up. Also it is a nice even elevation climb. Where the brook trails are more up and down. But on the way out I like to take the trails along the brook. When I'm tired I tend to get bored with the road and start to wish for the end. But with the trails along the brook it gets my interest up and I don't tend to get as tired. I am doing dial and nippletop next week, so I hope I have enough energy so as to enjoy the trails. If not I will be trudging along the road begging for the parking lot toappear over the next turn.

Day 5 of my last backpacking trip started at Snowbird (below Haystack) went down to the Carry, then up and over Colvin (with a side trip up Blake) and then down to the road. All with a 45-50 # pack. The ATIS crews were hard at work and I complimented them on my way past at the Nip junction. As they jogged past me later to catch the bus I again complimented then, and then again at the foot of the Gill. All this ass-kissing was done hoping they would invite to join them on the bus out.

Alas, I better keep working on my ass-kissing skills! :D

better keep working on my ass-kissing skills

don:
don't ass kiss
just ask!
:)
me mother always said "it never hurts to ask"
she also said "when the wind gets too strong - put rocks in your pockets!"
go figure
:rolleyes:

Whenever I hike out along the Lake Road I always make sure I have a clean, freshly ironed polo top in my pack. Then, just before arriving at the golf club I stop and put it on. While traversing the golf club property I straighten my spine, tighten my sphincter (just to be safe) and put a spring into my step.

Seriously now, I appreciate being able to use private property and if I am bare chested I do stop and put on a shirt before exiting thru the gate. Now if I could only do something about that smell....

I’m sure that ADK4Life never expected to touch off such a long thread with a simple question about the Ausable Lake Road bus. Given that the first reply had the right answer, I probably didn’t need to weigh in; but I have a hard time resisting a chance to relate some history to clear up some misconceptions. Although not a member of the AMR myself, as a long-time Keene Valley summer resident and now director of ATIS I have been close to this scene for many years. I first sent copies of this post to several of those who had posted replies, and one suggested that others would benefit from this brief history.
AMR HISTORY: When it was founded in 1886, the AMR was one of about a dozen large private preserves in the Adirondacks, but it was the only one not created for hunting. Hence the public was not kept out. At that time dogs were used to hunt deer, hence that prohibition. By 1920, the AMR consisted of 40,000 acres including the upper Johns Brook valley, Indian Falls, the summit of Marcy, and the upper part of the North Fork of the Boquet in addition to the Ausable lakes. At this time, the State first became interested in actively purchasing land, and the AMR was willing to sell off 24,000 acres - all but the Ausable Lakes and surrounding summits. At the same time, the State used the threat of eminent domain to obtain Lake Colden from the Tahawus Club – the only time I believe that threat has been used to add land to the Forest Preserve. Public use of the trails continued as established by earlier tradition. Up until 1960, there were so few hikers that those not riding the bus could park at the gate. When the club built the three small parking lots for the golf house, the third one was for hikers; but this lasted only a few years as the mid-60’s saw a tremendous increase in the number of hikers. This is when the parking was moved to its present location.

By the 1970s, higher property taxes caused the AMR to approach the State, resulting in the 1978 sale of 9,000 acres along with the current trail easements. Percious is right that the founders of the AMR preserved the land because they themselves were hikers, and they have been careful to keep it pretty much as it was in 1886. Absent AMR ownership, there could even have been a road up Marcy as there was at least one initiative to build one to better compete with the White Mountains for tourists.

BUS HISTORY: When the number of hikers was relatively low, public use was no problem. Although the posted schedule said members had priority, most members were reluctant to exercise that privilege if public hikers had filled the bus before they got there. By the late 80’s this had become more of a problem with the additional complaints that hikers would often wander around to “check the place out” as though it were some kind of museum. In 1989, the first move by the trustees was, in the middle of the summer, to increase the fare to $10 each way in the erroneous belief that bus use was included in the trail easement. This move split the membership virtually in half with the older families generally wanting to keep the tradition, while newer members wanted the exclusivity they felt their membership dues paid for. This led to the compromise next year of the public boarding at the gate or the top of the hill (after members had boarded at the club or boathouse) and paying $3 each way. This system lasted until 1995. Putting the bus stop where every hiker passed by had the effect of increasing the demand for seats, and often resulted in hard feelings after someone had waited but couldn’t ride. There was furthermore the problem of, for instance, the bus leaving the club with, say, six places left. The crowd at the gate might consist of a group of four first in line, then a group of five. The group of five then had to debate who rode or if they all stepped aside – meanwhile leaving the crowded bus idling in the hot sun. I think you get the picture.

I don’t believe the statements that hikers could ride mid-week in 2002 are correct. Someone may have asked a member who cheerily passed on that misinformation, and the desk staff didn’t bother to check the person’s credentials. The bus service runs during July and August, and sometimes for a few weekends in the fall or spring if there is a wedding or other special occasion such as a conference. In winter, the road is used by snowmobiles to haul supplies to the Upper Lake camps.

I don’t believe the statements that hikers could ride mid-week in 2002 are correct.

With due respect to the knowledge and substantial regional contributions of the above posters (which I deeply respect), I have deleted ALL prior postings on this matter.

As a matter of record, the dates were Tuesday, July 30, 2002 and Saturday, August 3, 2002 and I'm not sure there is any basis for anyone to infer that it was otherwise so. :(

Last edited: