Back Country Skiing gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, you can certainly learn to tele on Excursions. I learned (sort of) on NNN bindings and Fischer E99's. I'm lucky I didn't sprain my ankles trying to turn those things. The consolation will be that when you move to heavier gear, the difference will astonish you!

I actually began last season trying to tele with my SNS bindings and Karhu Ursa's. I was told I was doing a sort of hybrid of a stem christie and a telemark turn. It worked pretty well as long as the turns weren't too tight. I imagine the Excursions are going to feel pretty stiff by comparison!

Can't wait for the snow.

Mark

what about randonee

It must be that everybody here is a minimualist. No one has mentioned AT set-ups.I have used various Alpine Touring equipment for the last 15 years and the improvements in touring ability, weight, and downhill capabilities has been amazing. The light stuff is great for rolling terrain and possibly some low angle trail skiing but get in the real trees here in the northeast and you want something which gives you maximum control. As for touring I have done trips into Gothics, Dix and many others to ski the slides in mid winter and been to and from my truck in complete daylight. In fact two years ago I did Dix from rt.73 less than 7 hrs. This with skiing 3 of the slide paths also. Scarpa and Garmont I believe each make women's boots and there are four players in the binding dept. Fritschi and Naxo being the heaveist and Silveretta and Dyna-fit going lighter. All are durable, tour easily and Din releasable something I believe that none of the light stuff are. So if your just going to go around the house or touring centers the light stuff is probably fine but any real backcountry around here willeat that stuff for breakfast. Oh yeah any downhill ski will work but Black diamond, Karhu, and Vokyl all make very good At skiis that are light and responsive.

While AT is great, the current crop of tele gear will pretty much handle anything the northeast will throw at you. It's simple a matter of preference for downhill as either will give you enough control and turning ability. For people with alpine experience who are looking for downhill control and a quick learning curve, I agree, AT is probably a good choice.

For the type of touring mentioned in this thread, however, the backcountry three-pin gear is definately going to be more comfortable, lighter, and cheaper.

-dave-

Mike Hartigan said:
So if your just going to go around the house or touring centers the light stuff is probably fine but any real backcountry around here willeat that stuff for breakfast.

Well, that really depends on your definition of "real backcountry". A traverse across the Pemi is about as backcountry as you can get in New Hampshire and you would be welcome to bring your AT gear. Just so long as I get to carry the car keys and don't have to wait at the trail head for you before looking for beers.

AT gear is definitely superior to nordic gear imo once you get to the point of thinking about heavy tele gear like T1s and burly cable bindings. No question about that. But gear that heavy would be a drag on backcountry trips on flat to rolling terrain.

The real question here is where does the Donna (the original poster) want to ski. If her goals include skiing Left Gully or steep tree shots, then AT gear deserves a very close look. But this describes a very small amount of New England backcountry.

Ok, so I am a newbie also to this. Last year I picked up a new pair of Atomic waxless bc skis for 80. I opted for SNS bindings basically because I don't know much about the sport yet. I got Kahru Primus boots. (yes, everything was on sale last April) What kind of control should I expect with this package? I don't expect Alpine type cantrol, but will i be able to make any sort of turns? Thanks

Jasonst said:
Ok, so I am a newbie also to this. Last year I picked up a new pair of Atomic waxless bc skis for 80. I opted for SNS bindings basically because I don't know much about the sport yet. I got Kahru Primus boots. (yes, everything was on sale last April) What kind of control should I expect with this package? I don't expect Alpine type cantrol, but will i be able to make any sort of turns? Thanks

I have the same boot and Karhu Ursa's, which are a light backcountry ski with partial metal edges. They turn pretty well as long as you're not doing something too narrow and steep, at least at my skill level. If you know Windblown XC center, I have no problem with this setup on the Open Slope or its side trails.

Mark

Jasonst said:

Jason, my opinions on how the different "types" of nordic bc skis behave is detailed at the following link. Note, I group skis mostly by tip width, so if you know the dimensions of your particular ski, you should be able to find a discussion of other similar skis there. Also note that my "opinions" are very crude and high level generalizations. Even within a particular type of ski, things can vary widely based on flex, materials used and the magic that seperates the best skis from their peers.

http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-skis.html

Feedback on what is useful or not on that page is very much wanted and appreciated.

Crampons

I'm looking to buy a pair of strap on crampons, like gravells, any suggestions on the cheapest place?

Where can one still find Smiley Plates? I'm having a tough time locating them.

David Metsky said:
I agree with dave.m (big surprise there) that the Excursions will do you fine for learning to tele on lift served terrain. They'll be excellent on greens and blues, but if you expect to ski moguls or steep blacks they'll start showing their shortcomings.

What kind of skis are you using? If the ski is too big, you may have a hard time driving them with the Excursions.

-dave- (the other dave.m)

Well, reporting back on this post, the Excursions did do great on greens and most blues -- they were my primary lift-served boot for the last month at Wachusett while I was learning to tele. They did get hairy on those same blues when the trails were bumped up. My very first experience with the boot was on an advanced intermediate trail, and I crashed and burned miserably (ask Jeff Barrell about it). Last week I bought a pair of Garmont Syner-G's and cruised that same trail. I think it helped to learn to tele on the lighter gear and then go to something heavier.

Mark

I finally got a chance to ski on my new Fischer Outtabounds and Excursions this weekend at Windblown XC in southern NH. Conditions were excellent in the backcountry area, and I ran into Michael J as well!

On the Open Slope I got a chance to see how the setup works and I'm happy to report that they do indeed turn. I could link tele turns without problems, although you get thrown around a bit more than with heavier gear. Even without the cables which I never put on, I felt secure enough to take these on pretty much any backcountry trip in New England short of the Tuckerman Headwall.

http://home.earthlink.net/~photodavid/windblown/wb08.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~photodavid/windblown/wb10.jpg

Plus the new camera is kick ass in burst mode.

-dave-

Dave - I was over at Windblown for 3 hours on Saturday afternoon Mark_151 mentioned the place and I decided to go check it out.

Unfortunately a 9th grader on the BK Ski Team was flying into Porcupine Hollow and hit a small rock and bruised his knee pretty bad. I came upon the scene right as it happened. He was in quite a bit of pain.
It was a good chance to put my Solo First Aid to use, checking everything out and making him comfortable and keep him immobile until The owner (Al?) could come in on a snowmobile set a splint and sled him out. Just hope th elittle guy is OK!!
Looking forward to meeting you (and everyone else in the NE) at the gathering this weekend.

Last edited:
Damn! Windblown looks to be in fine shape. I work 10 minutes from there, and was finally gonna make use of my new season pass and try out MY Outtabounds and Excursions on the Open Slope today. But, a few of us went to Crotched Mountain after work, and the scheduling didn't allow me any time over there. And now, the place will be turning to mush while I'm at the Gathering....

I'm glad to see they can turn. I took mine to Watatic Sunday and had a miserable time, most likley because I just suck......

Last edited: