Backpacking Checklist - feedback requested!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm working on a "backpacking checklist" for my website and I'd love to get some feedback on it:
http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/backpackingchecklist.php

• did a miss any of the leading brands in your opinion for any of the categories?
  • did I completely forget anything?
  • is anything mislabeled as optional when it should be required, or vice versa?
  • do you have any tips I could add to the page for any of the categories?
  • have any personal ultralight backpacking tips you'd like to share?

With a little help from some of you, I think we could make this the best (general) backpacking checklist on the internet!

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm working on a "backpacking checklist" for my website and I'd love to get some feedback on it:
http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/backpackingchecklist.php

• did a miss any of the leading brands in your opinion for any of the categories?
  • did I completely forget anything?
  • is anything mislabeled as optional when it should be required, or vice versa?
  • do you have any tips I could add to the page for any of the categories?
  • have any personal ultralight backpacking tips you'd like to share?

With a little help from some of you, I think we could make this the best (general) backpacking checklist on the internet!

This is a pretty solid list which should be helpful to many people. Here are my suggestions:

1. Add guidance on backpack size in the backpack section, you have it in general tips
2. Sunglasses are not optional in a lot of situations
3. A First aid kit never optional backpacking
4. This might be personal preference but I wouldn't list alcohol on the list even as optional.

Overall you hit on the main points and that was a good idea to add your favorite brands as well. For someone new that will be wicked useful.

I think it is important to do trip planning first and the gear you bring is based upon the trip. I also recommend packing your wits first. What I am suggesting is a note prior to gear selection reminding everyone to plan their trip and to use their wits to stay out of trouble.

Beyond the above the list is quite good.

I'd have knife and compass as required. Doesn't have to be a big blade just something sturdy.

Medical kit is always in my pack whether dayhiking or overnight but YMMV.

Also, a length of cord could prove very useful in a pinch. I never backpack without the bearbag for this reason.

Last edited:
I've been getting ready for an upcoming backpacking trip all day and getting a friend ready as well so I just went through the top to bottom (actually bottom to top) what's in my pack list.

Your list is great. I like all the tips and recommended brands and stores to get stuff. Here is some stuff I thought of going through your list and thinking about mine:

-You said put your snacks in zip lock or lightweight bags. I would add lightweight waterproof bags.
-pack cover. I don't think my packs are waterproof, maybe water resistant, but a wet pack is a heavy pack and that's the main reason I carry a pack cover. Everything inside is already in a waterproof package anyway.
-I would move a change of clothes to required, or optional only if there is no chance of rain. If hiking clothes are wet, a hiker would need a dry change of clothes in camp as the temps cool at night. I think.
-The tip for soap is that it's optional because showers can wait until one is home. I agree, but would also mention using the soap to clean the cookware. And add an optional scrubby pad for that too.
-typo- under compass it says "goo idea" instead of good :)
-repair kit?- duct tape, which you mention. I also carry a needle and dental floss (or thread), plus a safety pin in case a strap breaks or a seam busts. The dental floss would also be multi purpose for my teeth if I dared stick my grubby hands in my mouth at the end of a day. (No thanks.)
-Gaiters?
-A water bag as optional is nice if hiking with a group.
-A ground cloth or footprint for a tent, optional.

There were a couple of opinion things where my opinion differed, but I am likely in the minority. For example I'm done with Gortex shoes. Doing most of my backpacking in VT, I've succumbed to the fact that my feet will get wet and in Gortex they will take longer to dry. ( I hike in trail runners.) Also, inevitably, a stick pokes into my shoes and I get holes in them. Holes in my Gortex shoes renders them no longer waterproof. (Go figure.)

This is a list I long ago printed for myself and came across today.
http://www.ragtag.org/raglist.php
I like that is a printable checklist. So my last suggestion is having a printer friendly version people could print and save for quick reference.

P.S. I loved the top 40 waterfalls!! Nice site!

I always suggesting bringing at least one item of "creature comfort" or a mildly frivolous nature - as long as it is light, can really make a difference after a long day.

I feel the opposite about pack covers. They are useless and I never carry them. When I used to use them, they never did a good job of keeping my pack dry.

Now I just use a pack liner instead- keeps everything inside my pack dry.

I also disagree about using soap- even if you're not depositing it directly into a water source, it's still not good for the environment. Cookware can usually be cleaned easily enough just with a scrub pad alone.

I will never encourage the water filter vs portable aqua debate, but perhaps listing the tablet or chemical form of water purification as optional would be nice.

This is a nice endeavor you are doing, it was a good read.

I also disagree about using soap- even if you're not depositing it directly into a water source, it's still not good for the environment. Cookware can usually be cleaned easily enough just with a scrub pad alone.
Dirty hands spread diseases--one should wash one's hands with soap after visiting the woods or before eating. Just like at home... (Hand sanitizer is a reasonable substitute for sanitizing hands on short trips.)

Metal cookware can be boiled, but plastic dishes should be washed using soap in above freezing temps.

Soap is also one of the better agents for cleaning wounds.

IMO, it is worthwhile to carry biodegradable soap.

FWIW, my checklist is all-inclusive and I pick an appropriate subset for each individual hike.

Doug

Just because you use biodegradable soap doesn't mean it's any better for the environment. Biodegradable soap has the same effect on water bodies as cow manure- it adds nutrients to the water, which in turn drives aging of the water body at an increase rate (cultural eutrophication). So it's super important if you use soap, regardless of what kind, that you do so well away from any water sources- preferably in a sump pit that you've dug down to mineral soil (same way you would dig a cat hole).

When I worked with children's groups, they would use a limited amount of soap on their hands prior to eating and after going to the bathroom, which was then deposited in a sump hole well away from water. We never used soap to clean dishes. Dishes (metal) were cleaned with water only, and then submerged in boiling water to be disinfected prior to eating.

Just because you use biodegradable soap doesn't mean it's any better for the environment. Biodegradable soap has the same effect on water bodies as cow manure- it adds nutrients to the water, which in turn drives aging of the water body at an increase rate (cultural eutrophication).
So does food residue from cleaning cookware, discarded excess food, urine, and feces. Dirty skin and bug repellent aren't so great either. All (plus soap) should be kept well away from surface waters.

One can also use only a small amount of soap, which requires only a small amount of rinse water. (This is well-known practice of blue water sailors.) A small amount of residual soap on cookware and tableware won't harm you.

Biodegradable soap isn't perfect, but it is presumably better than non-degradable soap.

Doug

That is a pretty strong list. I only have a few suggestions, and none that I would be particularly dogmatic about.

Water: you mention 3-5 liters per person per day. Granted that this is aimed for beginning backpackers, you should mention that you never want to carry 5 liters of water at a time because of the weight. I usually carry 2.5 liters and just re-supply. Maybe put that under the water bottle section.

Pack Cover: I wouldn't make it optional. Many don't work all that well, I found. YMMV.

Why is a water filter only optional? Seems mandatory to me. Same with trash bags. (I usually bring 3-4 trash bags; they're lightweight and really helpful when you need them.) Camps shoes/sandals might be mandatory depending on water crossings, and also, when I take a beginner out, I have them bring sandals just to make the camping experience more enjoyable.

Tent Footprint: I would say it's mandatory. Mine just stays with my tent and I always use it. Saves wear and tear and keeps dewy grass from soaking you. (I've also used it by itself without the tent when I want to sleep under the stars.)

For clothing, I would have hat, gloves, and bandanas as mandatory. Even in summer, having a light fleece hat/gloves goes a long way in a chilly camp at night. I have 101 uses for bandanas, so I bring 3-4 with me. I don't bother with a towel myself.

For toiletries, hand sanitizer is mandatory for me. I don't bother with soap for me or dishes. For cleaning up my cookware, I eat dinner with a bagel or roll, which I use to soak up most of the contain of dinner proper, leaving the pot nearly clean. Then, a very small amount of water, heated up, cleans the rest with very little residue to toss out.

Like I said, overall, it's a great list! It will be a handy resource, I'm sure.

I dont generally recomend water purification tablets as they typically have a short shelf life once they are opened (30 days?). I carry Aquamira in my day pack. It has no aftertaste and is as effective as tablets with a real long shelf life.

If you mention Go Light backpacks, I would mention ULA packs. US made and a nice balance between lightweight and durability.

I dont generally recomend water purification tablets as they typically have a short shelf life once they are opened (30 days?). I carry Aquamira in my day pack. It has no aftertaste and is as effective as tablets with a real long shelf life.

If you mention Go Light backpacks, I would mention ULA packs. US made and a nice balance between lightweight and durability.

Depending on your storage conditions of your potable aqua tablets (avoid humidity and such) opened containers are good for up to a year, unopened up to 4. But I'm glad you brought it up because it made me go look at mine. Of course, another option is the steripen series which we are looking into.

Excellent list, great idea to put this together. I live by a list and, like Doug, mine is comprehensive and I pick and choose based on the trip. Some points:

How about a camp chair, the kind that makes your thermarest into the most comfortable backcountry perch ever? It's a lightweight, optional item for "fun stuff."

Camp clothing: firmly in the optional category, IMO. I never take camp clothing, but I do take sandals which double for river crossings.

Compass: reqired gear.

Regarding the "fun stuff" category: I love this section...with one exception... What would I have to do to get you to remove mini-speakers from the list of fun stuff and never ever mention them ever again? Hundred bucks? A grand? Weekly massages from a professional masseuse? Please, just tell me what you require. I would give almost anything to prevent that idea from getting out. If I roll up to 13 Falls one night and some dude is "quietly" playing, well, just about anything from his iPod, I may very well cry right there on the spot. Please consider my plight, and tell me how we may come to an amicable solution. You might not be able to see me from where you are, but I actually am on my knees.

Finally, I think 7-10 miles is a pretty long day in the Whites with an overnight pack. Always depends on elevation gain, but there aren't too many flat trails in the Whites.

Good stuff,
Brian

I've yet to find synthetic baselayers that beat Patagonia's Capilene in terms of durability, stink-resistance, & wicking.

Required clothing (synthetic or wool; 1 of each item): shorts, t-shirt, underwear, long baselayer (top & bottom), socks, insulatory top (i.e. fleece jacket or pullover, or wool sweater), light-weight water-proof shell top & bottom, wool hat, and gloves or mittens. Anything more is optional. In cooler weather, the t-shirt can be ditched, and just wear the long-sleeve baselayer top.

The only clothing item you might feel the need to bring more than one pair of is underwear, but that's a personal decision. Good synthetic baselayers will dry as you wear them at camp. Camp clothing is not required, it's a luxury. Crocs or other lightweight camp shoes are optional, but can be nice.

Relative to footwear & packs, you should emphasize that a good fit is the most important factor.

Even though I rarely use one when hiking on trails, a compass and the ability to use it, should be required. Personally, I always bring toilet paper, but some consider it optional.

Alcohol--definitely required. ;)

Excellent suggestions folks. I've incorporated about 95% of them into the webpage. Refer to above link in post #1 to see the updated webpage.

If anybody else has any more suggestions, I'd love to hear them! I am reading and deeply considering every single tip that's being provided here :D

A couple suggestions:
For the campsite- A hatchet for breaking up firewood and driving tent stakes.
A few heavy duty zip ties can come in handy and don't weigh anything

For the hike: A signal mirror. Cell phone may be worthless
I keep 10' of 1 inch webbing available to augment the rope in my pack. Can be used for looping around trees or a diaper sling should anybody need help after a fall.
I also throw in a couple locking carabiners for good measure.
I keep a metal/magneseum striker in my fire kit should everything else dbe worthless.