Baldfaces/Carters/Meader Loop, 8/15 - 08/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillian

Reaction score
Exeter, NH; Avatar: Carrauntoohill, Co. Kerry, Ire
Saturday morning Ferris and I headed up to Evans Notch for a bit of backpacking. We took the Baldface Circle Trail to the South peak first and soon we were scrambling up the steep slabs to the summit. It was super hot out with nary a breeze, and that, mixed with a heavy breakfast churning around in my stomach, didn't make me feel great. Why did I have cream with my coffee?? (of course the alcohol from last night had nothing to do with it...) However, with a break in the shade of the summit cairn, I was feeling better and hiking across the ridge to North Baldface we enjoyed panoramic views before heading down into the trees.

Taking the Eagle Link trail we headed over to Perkins Notch. This trail I thought was nice, but it was fairly gnarly and Jason thought it wouldn't be great for running on, if he wanted to do a Wild River loop run some day - (ah, the real reason for doing this hike, bit of scouting, might o' known :rolleyes:). Soon we reached the oddly shaped Perkins lean-to. Unfortunately there was basically a swamp right in front of it, popular with the bugs, so we headed to higher ground to camp out. We found a lovely spot nearby with great views. All was peaceful in the woods under the stars until sometime after midnight when we were visited by Mr. Moose. Couldn't get a real good look at him but could see that he was a big guy with huge antlers. He ambled off slowly when we made our presence known.

Heading up to Carter Dome the next day via the Rainbow trail was a real treat. The lower sections of this fern lined trail is filled with Birches among many wide open lush green clearings. On reaching the top of the Dome no sooner had we sat down, got out some snacks, than Mats and Meb showed up! They both looked great, fit as fiddles, despite all the miles they had come. It was cool to see them and get the update on their journey so far. Made me feel very humble that I probably wasn't going to be tackling Moriah that day as I was "tired"...

The hike across the Carters was definitely a challenging one for me but it was fun. We took the Moriah Brook Trail down from the ridge after coming over North Carter. Slippery at first soon the footing became easy and we had a great hike down beside the river, enjoying the many crystal clear swimming holes and water falls. Feeling tired I was a bit worried about the uphill hike for the last quarter mile on the Basin trail...but hiking along side the cool cliffs on this trail made for a good distraction and we were up the hill before we knew it. From here Jason took the longer Meader Tr. back to the car while I continued along the Basin trail. True to it's name it took me on a journey beside the Basin Pond. The many shades of red and purple from the evening sun reflecting on the pond and shining on the nearby cliffs were a perfect end to the hike. My chauffeur didn't take long. We stopped in at the only sandwich shop in the metropolis of Gorham where we ran into a local Farmer and a Sasquatch.

My pics.
Jason’s pics.

Last edited:
geez, i gotta go on a backpack soon. looked like a great weekend. :D

Thanks for posting, especially the pics and descriptions of the birch glades and the bull moose. Excellent info to read and see.

happy trails :)

Baldface Circle Trail → Eagle Link → Wild River Trail → Rainbow Trail → Carter Moriah Trail → Moriah Brook Trail → High Water Trail → Wild River Trail → Basin Trail → Basin Rim Trail → Mt. Meader Trail

- Into and out of the Wild River Wilderness 6 times
- Circumnavigated the entire Black Angel Trail without actually setting foot upon it
- Other than a group on the Eagle Link Trail, didn’t see anyone during our time in the Wild River Wilderness
- Moriah Brook trail to 113 was all pretty smooth, and made for quick moving
- First on-trail swim of the year in Moriah Brook was sweet

I really need to make a point to backpack more. Roofs and walls are terribly overrated.

Jason

Last edited:
That's odd,I don't remeber you drinking at all on Friday night Gillian. Glad you guys had a great time and made it in time for sangwiches.

nice one! cool area, well actually sounded like it was pretty hot.....
whats with the photos GG? thats not like you!

Great report and pictures GG, that's one wicked hot weekend to do a backpacking, glad you guys got to take a dip in the many swim holes to cool off! I miss backpacking too, but can do without the heat and the weight...:eek:

Good plan for that weather. You bagged more swimming holes than peaks.

Jason; weird avatar but we like you anyway.

right, jason.. like you don't get out much and backpack. uh huh.

Six times backpacking this year...out of about 30 weekends...definitely not enough. And only two trips that were longer a weekend! I'm way off my quota!

Jason; weird avatar but we like you anyway.

You like me because I'm weird. ;-)