Baxter SP bugs beta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csprague

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm heading up to Roaring Brook on Sunday to climb Hamlin Peak and thus finish the Maine portion of the NE67. If time permits I'll go over to Baxter Peak too.

In any event, my girlfriend has expressed interest in accompanying me at least as far as Chimney Pond, but obviously I'd have to leave her there for 2.5 hours or so while I go up to Hamlin Peak and back (I'd skip Baxter if she were waiting for me).

She can bring a book or something to keep herself occupied, but what if the bugs are nasty? I guess that's my concern. I haven't seen any trail reports for up there recently (only Russell Pond from 7/4), so I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience.

Thanks

Chris

Depending on the weather she can hike with you from Chimney Pond, up to a point where the wind picks up and blows the bugs away. There she can make a picnic, read a book, eat a snack, enjoy the view until you return. Two way radios might be a practical to keep the time go by.

Alternatively, I've found Blueberry Knoll windier than Chimney Pond...

Brilliant suggestions Brambor!

If you get lucky, real lucky, and get some winds on the pond, strategically positioning yourself might work too. I suppose you could stay in the cabin if it's raining.

http://www.adventuresurvivalequipment.com/bens-deet-insect-repellent.html

I am never bothered. Bugs don't even come close!:cool:
If it were going to kill me it would be a fait accomplis, and I surely would not be writing this post.
Been using it for about 40+ years like a religion.
Don't leave home without it. Small, compact, ready to go!

Why even risk the thought of being miserable and under attack! :eek:

Ah Maddy, but in my experience the thing to contend with on Katahdin is usually blackflies, even in July. And I've not found DEET to be particularly effective against those.

The head net isn't a bad idea though. Problem is, it's supposed to be in the mid 80s, even up there. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the replies so far.

The head net isn't a bad idea though. Problem is, it's supposed to be in the mid 80s, even up there. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the replies so far.
There are times when the bugs are worse than the heat...

Lightweight, cheap, effective against all bugs. Works best over a full-brimmed hat.

Doug

Ah Maddy, but in my experience the thing to contend with on Katahdin is usually blackflies, even in July. And I've not found DEET to be particularly effective against those.

You are right! I recall black flies causing trouble but haven't run into them yet this year. Of course I haven't been to Baxter either.

I don't think they allow electronic devices in the park (could be wrong, though):D

I don't think two way radios would be a problem and don't seem to be expressly prohibited.

4.8. No person may create a disturbance that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others. Campground quiet hours are posted and enforced. The use of electronic devices in any way that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others is prohibited.

You are right! I recall black flies causing trouble but haven't run into them yet this year. Of course I haven't been to Baxter either.

I once asked a Ranger at BSP how long black fly season is. He said, "all summer". And he was dead serious!

I don't think two way radios would be a problem and don't seem to be expressly prohibited.

4.8. No person may create a disturbance that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others. Campground quiet hours are posted and enforced. The use of electronic devices in any way that impairs the enjoyment of the Park by others is prohibited.

I use my 2-way with discretion. It's primarily there for emergency. For one thing, I disable that stupid bleeping tone. I also don't normally leave them turned on. If I must monitor, I dial it down.

Seems to me a radio rendezvous (let's say the top of the hour) may all be that is necessary.

I hate to trivialize this, but when I was a kid, we'd be gone all day and our folks had no idea where we were. Of course, I walked a mile to school, uphill both ways! :rolleyes: To that end I have no need to feel connected all the time. I often travel in the flat lands with my cell phone turned off!

For what it's worth, bugs were almost entirely absent today. I had a few deerflies buzzing on the descent down from Chimney Pond, but only have 1 bite to show for an entire day out. I did apply a thin layer of Ultrathon at the start but never bothered to reapply.

My girlfriend accompanied me as far as Chimney Pond, was super impressed by it, and hung out reading a book and exploring the immediate area for a few hours while I went up and down Hamlin Peak. The best part is that Chimney Pond was quite cool, in fact sitting immediately next to it proved to be a bit chilly, with a cool wind coming across.

Not a bug question, but we're headed to Baxter in less than two weeks, and it's been long enough since I've been there that I've forgotten - do they sell either firewood or ice at Roaring Brook campground? I can't remember if some enterprising soul drove a truck in with those items in the evening or not. Just wondering how much to stock up with in Millinocket. Thanks!

Yes, there are bundles for sale at Roaring Brook Campground (and the other campgrounds). There is a contractor hired by the park who does some logging within the park, and then the rangers bring it all by pickup truck to their various campgrounds. *NO* wood from outside the park is allowed inside, not even local.

As for ice ... there is no running or potable water within the park, frozen or un. You need to bring all your drinking water in yourself, or bring purification tools (filter, steripen, etc.) There are two stores along the road to the park, but I cannot speak to what they have. I generally get my ice (and top off the gas tank) at the big Dead River gas station (next to Hannaford, across from IGA & McDonald's, just past Park HQ). They sell the big blocks, which are what you want. A block kept in a cooler in the shade (in your car, not in your campsite) will last at least 4 days, whereas cubes will just melt.

Thanks so much for the info - I knew about the local firewood rule, but didn't realize in this case it actually has to be from inside the park.