Baxter State Park, October 2004

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arm

Reaction score
just got back from a fun week exploring Baxter State Park

started with a hearty breakfast at the Appalachian Trail Cafe in Millinocket on sunday morning - drove through Togue Pond Gate to Roaring Brook, then started our backpack out to Russell Pond

swung around Sandy Stream Pond and spotted moose in the Pond - foliage was kicking in pretty good, and the fall air was crisp and clean

turned right onto Wassataquoik Stream Trail, and had to remove our hiking boots to wade through the Stream just after passing the WS Campsite - a short while later we were settling into our Russell Pond lean-to when the Ranger walked over to greet us

ate dinner and hung out on the dock checking out views while the sun set and the bright moon came out on a clear starry night - Sean tried to brighten the night by leaning over a candle and lighting himself on fire - Skimom broke out a food bag large enough to resolve World Hunger, and we hung our food bags before settling in for the night

started monday morning with a walk up to Lookout Ledge, with scenic views into the valley we had walked in to - packed our bags and treked on to Wassataquoik Lake, where we threw our gear into canoes and paddled round the island, located the Cabin on the island where we'd be staying that night

dropped gear, headed back to shore to walk up to Green Falls - a scenic waterfall that Donna checked out up close

headed back to the island and ate dinner around a cozy campfire, then checked out the stars on the lake - snow flurries blew in before we called it a night

cooked breakfast tuesday morning and headed back past Russell Pond, turning right onto Northwest Basin Trail, which had several tricky crossings over Wassataquoik Stream - a few dunks had Skimom and Donna changing their socks and adding ziploc baggie liners to keep 'em dry

snow squalls filled the air as we made our way toward Davis Pond, coating foliage, which really added to the scenery - nice contrast with snow covered leaves

ate lunch at Davis Pond lean-to, discovered the new Thunder God Throne, then started our steep ascent up to Northwest Plateau - rime ice covered rocks and alpine plants across the Plateau as we treked over to Hamlin Peak

we descended down Saddle Trail to Chimney Pond, where a quick dinner chased us into our sleeping bags on a cold, windy night

we decided to hike up to Baxter Peak wednesday morning, so we packed our bags and ditched them behind our lean-to, as the Ranger suggested, and hiked up Cathedral Trail on a windy morning

snow squalls blew in as we climbed past the second Cathedral, as we considered our options - a few minutes later we were in the clear and headed towards the summit

we reached Baxter Peak under partly cloudy skies, then started down Saddle Trail - we spotted a few moose feeding just off the Saddle Trail on the way down to Chimney Pond

packed up and hiked down to Roaring Brook - Skimom and Donna headed home from there - Sean and i extended the trip for a few days so we could explore the rest of the Park

we set up camp at Katahdin Stream Campground that night, then woke up thursday morning and met one of the Rangers who was on the crew that cut the new Travelers Trail - he seemed excited about it, and told us about creating the new trail (three days cutting, four days piling cairns, blazing, etc)

from there, Sean headed off to hike North Brother, while i stopped by Nesowadnehunk to see if a VFTT friend would stop by for a Barren bushwhack - waited a while then decided to hike Doubletop on a warm morning

peaceful solo hike up Doubletop rewarded me with incredible Views From The Top - warm weather invited black flies out, so i hiked to Doubletop's southern summit, which was more open and breezy

hiked back, then went for a scenic drive along the Tote Road to our next basecamp, at South Branch Pond - thought about going for an afternoon hike, but the foliage became more colorful as i neared SBP, and it was really nice just to hang out on that dock and enjoy the views

gathered firewood and set up basecamp at our site, then chowed dinner when Sean arrived from hiking North Brother - a fox visited us a few times before we crashed for the night

woke up friday morning and geared up for the Travelers loop, which just "opened" in August 2004 - bushwhacking Traveler had been on my wish list for years - when we heard that they had opened a new trail traversing Travelers' three main summits, we were psyched to check it out

we wandered past South Branch Ponds along Pogy Notch Trail, turning onto the steep Center Ridge Trail - after resting on a rock, i started up the trail and heard a sound behind me - a coyote who had been laying low right behind me as i sat there, crossed the trail as i walked away

a short while later, a beautiful large hawk flew over our heads as we made our way up to the First Viewpoint, where we got a good look at the scenic ridge circuit we'd be treking across

a while later we were eating lunch on the Peak of the Ridges, where the trail used to end - from here, we began exploring new trail, treking across the "Little Knife Edge", descending across a mossy meadow, then ascending fresh cut trail through heavily pine-scented coniferous forest, up scree slopes toward The Traveler

we reached Traveler's summit, the highest volcanic mountain in New England, checking out the map lichen and rhyolite talus

we descended across Traveler Ridge, dividing time between bare rock and coniferous forest, until we reached the surreal dwarf birch forest in the col heading up towards North Traveler

treking over North Traveler, we made our way down the scenic ridge, checking out views into the foliage filled valley surrounding South Branch Ponds

cruised out to Matagamon Wilderness Campground when we reached our site, so we could grab coin-op showers - figured our hair could use an oil change after no showers all week - one shower a week, whether we needed it or not, seemed to hit the spot - ate dinner around the campfire with a few more visits from the fox before we crashed for the night

saturday morning, we jumped in a canoe and paddled around South Branch Ponds for a few hours - seemed like a fun way to wrap up a great week in BSP

awesome trip with fun friends ! foliage was incredible - wildlife was cool - saw pretty much nobody the entire week

pics are up on the web: http://community.webshots.com/user/armmon

Last edited:
Hey I was there too! (BSP that is) LOL...though not for the whole week, just from Thursday thru Sunday. Foliage was awesome!

Sounds like a great trip!

It was an awesome trip and my first time in BSP...I'll definately be back there lots.

Arm did a great job leading the team, even though he says there was no leader...he was definately the boss of us...someone had to be.

Thanks for planning a great trip Arm. I had lots of fun with some great friends...even though Sean tripped, knocked over my stove with boiling water...oh yea, and my leg was right there to catch it.

Check out my pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/user/donnaryan102

Ouch, Donna, hope it wasn't too bad! Nice pictures BTW, looking forward to seeing Arm's pictures. I hope to get to Baxter sometime next year.

Jay

After reading that report, all I can say is it sucks to be me! My week's report was quite a bit less interesting, and fun. Donna's Picture SV500047 is just a bit beyond where I fell, putting myself in my current predicament :(

Last edited:
Arm - you obviously spent much time and thought on your narrative...a great read! Thanks for letting us come along. And Skimom's pix really capture the spirit. And Sean...I think you need some more time off!!!!

Questions: I'm assuming no advance reservations were needed for your camping locations that time of year (week before Columbus Day) correct?

How many others did you encounter hiking and/or camping? Looks like you had the canoes to yourselves, anyway....

I was thinking of a Russell Pond/Wassataquoik/Travelers backpack next year, same week....
Please advise.
JT

Wow Arm, gorgeous pics. Traveler is definitely on my to-do list (it was already, but your pics are urging me to climb it very soon :) )

Memories!

Great trip report Arm, and nice pictures from all of you.
It brought back memories of a similar trip I did there back in 1983... Two of our group fell in fording that river on the way up to Russell pond.
We climbed up from Chimney pond to Baxter peak via the Cathedral trail then returned via Knife edge and Dudley. Favourite hike of all time.
Got to get back there!!! :)

Phil

Great trip report Arm,
but I have one question:

How did Sean get the big grill and the big tent all the way to Russell?
I've never seen Sean without his grill!!

arm: major fine if you get caught carving into a leanto. A few years ago one young boy from a camp carved his initials into a Chimney pond leanto. His entire group had to give a day's work to keep from getting thrown out for good. We saw them carrying buckets of stone for the trails near Chimney Pond when we left in the morning. They were still at it when we returned.

SherpaKroto said:
arm: major fine if you get caught carving into a leanto.

Yeah, well there should be a major fine for taking pictures in the PRIVY and posting them on webshots!!! (see arm's webshots gallery) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Nice Report

Are,

Sounds like you did it all!

Excellent report and pics.

The Thunder God will smile upon you!

cb