Baxter State Park Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jim W

Just sitting here in my office looking at my maps.
I've got a trio of 4 day weekends coming up in Baxter State Park in between now and the end of September. I'm gettin' cabin fever in anticipation.

Question 1. From Katahdin Stream Campground, I'd like to use Grassy Pond Trail to get to the ponds areas to the west (Grassy, Kidney, Daicy, etc.). But, the few times that I've driven by the Grassy Pond Trail, well, it just seems to have a deserted look about it. So, is it still open? It would be preferable to walking a dusty old tote road, don't 'ya think?

Question 2. The hike from Roaring Brook Camp to Russel Pond Camp has two choices at the fork in the trail. Which do you recommend, Wassataquoik Stream Trail or Russell Pond Trail?
We are prepared to ford the rivers.

Question 3. Is North Peaks Trail still closed? (aka Howe Peaks Trail)

Thanks for any replies.

Re question # 2, Wassataquoik Stream Trail (known as the "low road") is a little longer (about 0.4 mi), with no elevation change by comparison to the high road, and reputedly more scenic. I can say that it is an attractive route but I've not been on the stretch of Russel Pond Trail known as the "high road". The only significant stream crossing is Wassataquoik Stream (it's as much fun to say as to spell), 30 yards wide, which was knee deep when we crossed it on Aug. 10. Since then there has been a lot more rain but it may have receded. I'd base my decision on the weather in the few days prior to your crossing as well as the advice of the rangers at Roaring Brook and Russell Pond.

I recommend going out one and back the other, both have very nice sections. I particularly liked the stream crossing Stan mentioned, the shelters there are in a perfect place.

Here are some pictures and a bit of a description: Link

-dave-

I agree with Dave, when going to Russell Pd., go up one trail and back the other. I have done each of these trails many times, they are both beautiful and worth walking. Was. Stream trail is flatter, the stream crossing is a little easier, and it is a little longer. The Russell Pd. trail is a little hillier, although still quite flat, more forested, with a bit tougher stream crossing. Both offer different and unique scenery that is not to be missed, so do both!

Not sure re: Grassy Pd. trail. North Peaks is still closed, tho, which is too bad, it is a really nice trail.

Have a great trip, this is a very special part of the Park.

Laura

The Grassy Pond trail is closed, you have to use the AT to access the ponds you mentioned. North Peaks trail is still closed.

I never heard the terms "high road" and "low road" but I agree with the others - take one trail out, the other back. The past few years I've been to Russell Pond, there's been a half log bridge over the stream crossing on the Russell Pond trail. The Tracy Horse trail (now known as the Wassataquoik Stream trail) is more scenic.

Thank you for the responses.
The idea of going out to Russell Pond Camp one way and returning the other way is a good one that we'll employ in bad weather.
Plan A (good weather plan) is to hike over Hamlin Peak on our way to Chimney Pond Camp for night #3.
We've never been on the Howe Peaks, so those will also be part of Plan A. To do that we'll have to go out and back from Hamlin after going up the Northwest Basin Trail.

Jim,
FWIW, Nothwest Basin trail is a bear. It is somewhat rough once you cross the Wassataquoik up to Lake Cowles, and very steep from Davis Pond up to Northwest Plateau. That being said, it is one of the most beautiful trails in the park.

On the way in, I really liked the Wassataquoik Stream trail. I've heard a lot of cussing about the Russell Pond Trail if it's muddy.

North Peaks Trail is closed, but I'd wager it would make for an interesting fair weather bushwhack. We saw where it left the NW Basin trail and it still looked somewhat serviceable. Talk to Roger at Russell Pond. He might be able to fill you in more.

Thanks SherpaK
hmmmm,
In that case, maybe I'll send my brother over Hamlin and I'll meet him at Chimney Pond via the easy route.
I remember your trip report from earlier this year and we are mentally prepared for a tough day. (didn't your hike include some nudity?)

yet another question

I have another question.
One day this weekend, 8/27-8/30, from Katahdin Stream Camp, I'm going to hike the A.T. southbound to Abol Bridge, then backtrack to the camp.
Looking at the map, I see a dark green shaded area labeled

HUNTING ZONE

Should I bring my orange stuff?
Is there an active hunting season going on right now?

Thanks again for all replies.

No deer hunting until November. No bird hunting until October.

In other words, you won't have to watch out for me! :D

Jim,
Don't let me dissuade you from the NW Basin trail. It's an amazing trail, just a tough one. I''m sure that you can make it. Almost all of the elevation gain is in 2 spots. Just before Lake Cowles and just after Davis Pond. A nice early start on a good day will get you there. And yes, for 10 feet I celebrated the beginning of summer this year ;) at about 4,000 feet. My view is attached. Rather inspiring, don't you think?

The trail follows this valley.

Last edited:
I've backpacked the Nortwest Basin Trail from Russell Pond to Davis Pond a few times and dayhiked it as well. Remote yes, but not that tough. Perhaps it's because I'm usually concentrating on how high the Wasswataquiok will be. :) A couple of weeks ago I dayhiked from Chimney Pond to Davis and back, and other than it being a long hike, the Northwest Basin section was much easier than other Katahdin trails.

Shortly after the North Peaks trail closed, we asked at Russell Pond about the trail and were told at last inspection they quit counting at 80 blow downs - I imagine since then the trail has completely filled in.

Also, I've cut across to the North Peaks trail from the NW Basin trail before instead of going to Hamlin Peak first. The cairns on the North Peaks trail are clearly visible once you get closer to Hamlin.

twigeater: I agree that it is not horribly bad, but when you add the section above Davis Pond, the hike from Russell Pond to Chimney Pond becomes a long day. The section coming up the trail (brook) below Lake Cowles was a problem for me, perhaps due to my bad ankle, injured on the way to Russell Pond the day before. In any event, It's a far cry from the Wassataquoik Stream trail in terms of treadway and difficulty.

Jim: do the NW Basin trail. You don't get many opportunities to do it, and it will not dissapoint.

You have no idea how much we are looking forward to doing that trail.
We just discovered a book written in 1939 (ya, I know, I must live in a cave!) about the 12 year old boy named Donn Something who was lost up there for 9 days. He miraculously made it out. I think he followed more along the lines of the Northwest Basin Trail than he did The North Peaks Trail.

That trip will take place on 9/25-9/28.
But first, on 8/27-8/30 I'm at Katahdin Stream.
Then, 9/3-9/6 I'm at Nesowadnehunk.

What a spoiled brat I am!

Jim,
I waited 4 years before I got my Davis Pond reservation. I was not disappointed. I'm hoping that my next trip will be up to the Wassataquoik Lake area, possibly in from Pogy Pond, and with any luck, taking in a day or so on the Traveller. You can never get enough BSP time. I found that out when I skipped a year.

Donn Fendler - sometimes he gives talks of his mis adventure at Daicey Pond.

SherpaK - I agree that hiking from Russell to Chimney is long. I only meant that compared to other Katahdin trails, there are steeper and more rugged trails.

Funny, anytime I've ever gone to Davis from Russell, my favorite part has been the scramble just before Lake Cowles. I like that sort of hike, and it's a challenge depending on how wet it is.