Bear Beer Buzz

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago (5-6) there was an incident at Marcy Dam. You know those several liter wine-in-a-box containers (do they seel them in the states?) which has a lot of wine in a plastic bag? A bear got one that was at a lean-to, and lapped it up. According to Mike (guy in the outpost at the time) that bear was stumbling around that night, providing interesting 'entertainment' for the onlookers.

Do they make cans sized to fit enough beer for a 6 day long trip? I for one couldn't imagine trying to hang beer, I mean it would, like, get all shaken up.

I also predict a fair amount of the VFTT anti-hunting contingent changing their views...

Pete, yes they sell wine in a box in the states. Interestingly the empty wine bladders are said to make decent water bladders.

Warren said:
Do they make cans sized to fit enough beer for a 6 day long trip? I for one couldn't imagine trying to hang beer, I mean it would, like, get all shaken up.

Big cans? How about this one:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/beer2.jpg

Or get a growler of Ubu at the Lake Placid Brewery:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmpadk/jrbeer.jpg

Then again, this is what a friend and I had at our Lean-to in Baxter:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/leanto_food.jpg

Which was used for meals like this:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/leanto_food2.jpg

Last edited:
. . . But . . .

They definitely are "approved containers" for precious contents in my book.

G.:p

Bears and beers -- a story

A few years ago Mrs. G, a friend and I tackled a seg of the Long Trail in Vermont, heading north from Brandon Gap. In the parking area we exchanged pleasantries with a family from Germany, who were organized in the usual fashion: mom, dad, teenage daughter and teenage son. Since our parties never move fast, the German family quickly passed us as we trudged up the trail along a flank of Mt. Horrid.

Not long after the German family passed us, there came an excited cry from above: “Beeer! Beeer! Beeer!,” the father exclaimed, over and over.

Now, it was a pretty warm day, and that cry whetted my interest -- not to say my thirst -- in quick order. In fact, I may even have become a little drooly excited about it, so I picked up the pace just a tad, hoping to catch up closer and find out more.

Rounding a little turn in the path I found the German family stalled and jabbering excitedly among themselves while pointing off into the woods downslope from the trail. The word, “beeer” kept coming up. Then the mother exclaimed about how “it was big and black . . . and went down there.”

And I was awfully disappointed.

After we provided some reassurance that the bear probably was not going to ambush and eat them, the Germans forged on ahead. They’d had quite an adventure for themselves that day.

I got another yarn out of it, to tell over real beers many an evening.

G.

Heck, I think we should invite a few of these beer bears to the Gathering. They'll fit right in. While we're at it, maybe we can negotiate something satisfactory to both parties regarding backpackers' food. Maybe we can get a little intimidation value out of the John Colter grizzly ballad.

Pete_Hickey said:
Several years ago (5-6) there was an incident at Marcy Dam. You know those several liter wine-in-a-box containers (do they seel them in the states?) which has a lot of wine in a plastic bag? A bear got one that was at a lean-to, and lapped it up. According to Mike (guy in the outpost at the time) that bear was stumbling around that night, providing interesting 'entertainment' for the onlookers.

Pete,

I was in Marcy Dam and saw this same thing. It was July of 1993 according to my notes. We had heard there was a bear in the area so me and my buddy went looking for it. He was raiding tents and campsites where people left food around.

Anyways someone hiked in a beer ball (why on earth hike that heavy thing in 3 miles...lol) the bear capped it with his teeth and sat there drinking it. It was pretty cool seeing that....lol Pete what year did you say this happened? Maybe it was the same instance.

Last edited:
Heard on radio way to work this a.m. At 400 lbs., having had 32 cans of beer in a short time, the bear would've had a BAC of 0.36. Wow - no wonder he passed out!

Gris said:
Heard on radio way to work this a.m. At 400 lbs., having had 32 cans of beer in a short time, the bear would've had a BAC of 0.36. Wow - no wonder he passed out!

Assuming that he drank it all, and didn't spill a drop. Difficult without opposable thumbs.

1adam12... It was some time ago, but it was a wine sack. What IS a beer ball?

Assuming that he drank it all, and didn't spill a drop. Difficult without opposable thumbs.

Actually, not at all difficult. He grabs a can in his jaws, crunches it open with his teeth, tilts his head back and presto. Another empty can. No thumbs required ... except to hitch a ride down to the next saloon.

In St. Thomas there was a bar with a monster pig out back that entertained people all night with this trick. He had it down to a tee.

And a beer ball was a small 5 gallon poly-something (white plastic) keg in the shape of a ball. Maybe 15" diameter. Usually pretty rank suds ... we were lucky and had a Molson distributer's son in our crew and got the 15 gallon half-kegs for $20. (Though I think he stole them and kept the cash for himself) And your beer-loving son would have been in heaven! :p

Many years ago some of my colleagues were doing glacial geological research on Ellesmere Island in the Canadian High Arctic. On returning to camp one evening, they witnessed an arctic fox stumbling around the perimeter of camp. Soon thereafter they discovered that Ray's rum cake from his mum in the UK was gone. A few minutes later Ray discovered that the fox had left a deposit (calling card?) in one of his hiking boots outside their tent. Do bears and foxes have a sense of humor or what?