Bear Mtn., April 20th, '08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Spring is in the air! I think these flickers were doing the mating thing. They were picking something out of the ground and eating, but they were also doing what I would describe as flying chest bumps. There were at least two dozen of them in a meadow after sunrise, and many were doing it.

bearrmtn005a.jpg

Then these two 2-year-old bulls emerged in the back of the meadow.

bearrmtn024.jpg

bearrmtn025a.jpg

I think they are the same yearling brothers that I saw last spring...

5-05-07-057.jpg

They were in the same area. They happen to be 2-year-olds and the two I saw last spring were yearlings.

It's been warm and sunny for a week and I'm now fully healed from winter with my first spring moose sighting :)

I started my hike up Bear Mtn. from Bear Notch Rd. Yesterday I saw plenty of bare ground there from the switchbacks on Champney Falls Trail. I followed a few old logging roads for a while then found a seem of bare ground on a ridge of hemlocks. Then a bird swooped in and landed on my head! I ducked a tiny bit in surprise, then said hello to whoever was on my head. I put my hand up for the bird to land on. Then it came down and hoovered in front of me, looking me right in the eye, then landed on my hand. I think it was a black-capped chicadee, but it was very small. I went for my camera but it jumped up and hoovered again in front of me, looking right at me, then flew off. That was incredible. It acted like a gray jay.

I was looking for evidence of moose spending the winter. After hiking up for a half hour I found plenty of fresh sign. This striped maple was feasted upon recently.

bearrmtn043.jpg

This was interesting. It looks similar to teeth marks from moose. However, the marks are much too small, and the beech sapling was munched all the way around, up to about 15' off the ground, almost to the top. I think whoever did it must be a small creature whose weight was supported by the sapling.

bearrmtn049.jpg

bear prints on Bear Mtn.

bearrmtn065.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
I saw many of this particular mushroom, all of them on maple snags...

bearrmtn082.jpg

a view to Mt. Passaconaway from an old logging clearing...

bearrmtn064.jpg

After a couple hours I was out of hardwoods and into a huge hemlock stand and the snow was still quite deep. I snowshoed up for a while. This looks like claw marks from a bear, but I'm not sure...

bearrmtn087.jpg

This pretty mushroom is living on a hemlock...

bearrmtn122.jpg

I just wasn't in the mood for snowshoing and snow so I headed back down and swung around to the east to make a big loop, and soon I was back in sunny, open hardwoods with bare ground. This garter snake shares my enthusiasm for warm sun.

bearrmtn110.jpg

I chewed on some nice, fresh wintergreen...

bearrmtn131.jpg

...as I followed this fresh moose track for a while, but I never caught up to him.

bearrmtn130.jpg

It was great spring day, full of life. Winter is so over :)

happy trails :)

Forestgnome those are some amazing photos! Looks like a very memorable trip you had. Makes me want to head up North ASAP.

Last edited:
Fabulous

forestgnome said:
It's been warm and sunny for a week and I'm now fully healed from winter with my first spring moose sighting :)

You just had to rub it in, didn't you? ;)

That was a fabulous TR.

- Monadnock Volunteer (aka Steve)

Pretty nice trip report & pictures!

Is Bear Notch Road open? I can look that up actually... No.

-Dr. Wu

WOW!!, wonderful TR and photos, as always. You must be very very quiet while hiking to enjoy so much wildlife...

How fun to have a chickadee on your head!

I saw my first moose of the season yesterday also, but unfortunately I wasn't hiking, he was hanging out in my backyard and I got to watch him for about ten minutes, then 3 feet into the woods he......just.........disappeared.............

Amazing how well such an enormous creature can blend in with the forest, nature is an amazing thing.

Nice. The chewing on the beech sapling was probably from a porcupine.