BearVault - New weekend size.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
It is a little early to start the bear canister conversations, but BearVault came out with a new model that just might interest some climbers getting ready to buy one. The original models from Garcia, BearVault and others have always been designed to have the space for a weeks worth of food.

Many of us find that too large for a typical weekend in the ADKs. BearVault must have been listening. They came out with a new size that is perfect for a weekend out in the backcountry.

Check it out. (REI Item # 731833)

I bought one to add to my collection and it is a perfect size.

Hey Ed, thanks for the link, hope you used the 20% REI coupon that is floating around.. :)

Jay

Hi Jay,

This year I used my 20% discount for some new titanium Leki poles. They weigh in at 15 ounces a pair! Now I have three pairs for all conditions. Although I also bought new Vasque boots, approach shoes, half rope for glacier travel, biners, and other gear. So much gear - not enough coupons! But the $300 REI rebate helped a lot!

Speaking of bear canister, I'm looking to buy one for a California trip in July...
http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

I was wondering if anyone had tested the new Ursack

It is by far the lightest canister around....And I was wondering, if it is approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, it must be approved by the ADKs, right ? Also, do you think they could revoke the approval by the time I get there in July :confused:

Thanks !

how can they charge $67 for tupperware on steroids?

can you imagine if housewives (husbands) of the 2010s have Bear Vault Parties???

that a ridiculous amount of money for what it is.

I forgot to mention that I am spoiled b/c I have not yet had to deal with the bear problem many of you are facing. If and when I do, I suspect I won't find $67 so much of a nuisance...

spencer

Last edited:
Hi Motabobo,

I try to stay up on the regulations regarding the Adirondacks and from what I understand, only hard sided canisters are approved. Please check out the main Bear Canister Regulation Page and specifically:

Testing soft sided bear resistant canisters.

Personally I like the idea of hard sided because of the extra safety factor it provides. Besides, they make a great chair!

Motabobo said:
Speaking of bear canister, I'm looking to buy one for a California trip in July...
http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

I was wondering if anyone had tested the new Ursack

It is by far the lightest canister around....And I was wondering, if it is approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, it must be approved by the ADKs, right ? Also, do you think they could revoke the approval by the time I get there in July :confused:

Thanks !
It must be close enough to the season to develop this repeating thread again for this year.

Everyone please read the official DEC webpage regarding bear canisters, and other DEC pages for anything else of regulatory nature.

"6 NYCRR Paragraph 190.13(b)(2) defines a bear-resistant canister as 'a commercially made container constructed of solid, non-pliable material manufactured for the specific purpose of resisting entry by bears.'"

Since the Ursack bag is not solid and is pliable, it is NOT approved in NY State. I don't believe the new aluminum liner is crush proof by a bear. Among other reasons the NYDEC does not like the idea of something a bear can easily pick up and carry away, like a fabric bag.

Last edited:
It came out sometime last year - I bought the "weekend" size Bear Vault last fall, and have used it a few times already. It's the perfect size for me even on extended weekend hikes. If I can't fill it with food, I put my pot (the kind of pot that you boil water in!) and stove inside as well.

spencer said:

Cuz when they force you to use one, and there are only a few types approved! I agree, to me they look like oversized Nalgenes.

Wasn't the weekend model previously called "Bear Vault Solo" ?

-Shayne

spencer said:
I paid $200 a pound for my Go-Lite jacket. :)

Bear Vault

The Bear Vault has had some problems and I don't think it is approved for use in SEKI at this time. It is as far as I know, still approved in Yosemite, but that could change. The problem apparently is a few instances where bears have been able to squish the container and pop off the lid. Don't forget, bears are really strong and not as dumb as you might think.

The smaller size has been around for a while. I have the big week long one and usually just stuff it with as many other things as I can. I guess I'll eventually have to get the smaller one... I guess.

There was also an issue and a thread about it talking about the canisters not being closed properly and therefore being easily accessed by bears... here:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8902

Am I the only who find that a canister approved by the Sierra Wild Bear should also be approved by the ADK ? I mean a bear is a bear right ?

Motabobo said:
Am I the only who find that a canister approved by the Sierra Wild Bear should also be approved by the ADK ? I mean a bear is a bear right ?
Sierra bears are smarter than the average bear.

At least when it comes to appropriating hikers' food...

Doug