Belknap Mountain Range question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I'm planning some hiking in the Belknaps and I am not familiar with the trails there. I've read that many of the trails are not maintained and sometimes difficult to follow.

I am planning a loop trip up and over Anna and then west to Mack on what looks like the Red Trail. To get back to my car at Alton Mountain Road, I'd prefer not to retrace my steps.

The map shows a dotted red trail descending east off of Mt. Mack. It appears to head towards a gorge to connect with the Blue Trail, where I would follow south and east back to my car.

Is anyone familiar with that particular trail that appears to connect Mt Mack with the Blue Trail in the vicinity of a gorge? Is it easy to follow? I don't really want to bushwhack too much in this area as it seems to have some steeps I'd like to avoid.

Most of the dotted red trails on the map are very difficult to follow or are overgrown entirely. Even a bushwhack on its rough course would bear the risk of crossing the Blue Trail without seeing it, as it, too, was sparsely marked last fall.
A safer plan would be to climb Straightback Mt. from Alton Mt. Road by the Blueberry Pasture Trail, relatively well-marked, and Straightback Mt. Trail, then across to Anna and descend the Red Trail, very nice, from the 4-way intersection on Anna's "summit." The dotted line road back to the car is obvious. Until it warms up, avoid the Precipice Trail east of Anna. It is treacherous, if slippery, as it skirts the wooded, cliffy area. :eek:
You could easily go tag Mack, or at least its viewpoint, and return to the descent route, if you had the urge.

Those dotted trails can be pretty sketchy. If you feel brave its only about .5 miles down to the brook/gorge. That makes a pretty good backstop with the Blue Tr just on the other side.
Another option is to follow the Orange Tr north west to where it connects to the Orange Mack Ridge Tr going south to the road/trail which you can follow back to the Alton Mt Rd. The rock slide is somewhat steep but short. It is a beautiful trail with nice views. This option does add some mileage to the trip however.
Whatever you choose, you'll not be disappointed; the Belknaps are a beautiful area.:D
Bob