Best After Hike Meals in High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One word : Stewart's.

Chocolate milk and heated cheeseburgers (I remember having two back-to-back after the Miami River Adventure), Hot-dogs with chili (good value), various kind of potato chips, add a Red Bull and a coffee and I was all set for the long drive home.

I think it's a luxury to stop for a meal at the restaurant after a hike, I only did it few times, and only because my hiking-car partners wanted to go. It's always too late anyway.

And Stewart's great, they are all over NY, you can always count on it :)

Thanks for the responses. We ate at the Down Hill Grill, which was a solid base-hit, if not extraordinary, and the Noon-Mark Diner, which was pretty much everything you want in a diner.

We were staying over for the weekend at the Loj lean-tos and needed some dry atmosphere after Saturday's drenching (pounding!) rain before heading back to the camp. We hit the diner on the way out Sunday morning. Good home-made bread!

timmus said:
One word : Stewart's.

I think it's a luxury to stop for a meal at the restaurant after a hike, I only did it few times, and only because my hiking-car partners wanted to go. It's always too late anyway.

And Stewart's great, they are all over NY, you can always count on it :)
Well, I sure agree that Stewarts is not luxury. < temporary edit while Neil comes up with a different set of descriptives for the cleanliness, food and coffee ;) >. The neglected cleanliness, dishwater coffee and summercamp quality food play nasty tricks on my alimentary canal.Their Coke is all right though. :D

Whenever I hike I'm sleep deprived from the early start and usually pretty tired from the hike itself. It's almost always dark when I get out and then I drive home for 2½ hours, usually alone. I have learned the hard that to sit and eat a high fat, high protein meal and drink a beer or 2 is a perfect recipe for highway narcolepsy. So now that I stick to coffee, diet coke and a light snack while I drive I only fall asleep at the wheel once or twice.

Last edited:
Neil said:
Whenever I hike I'm sleep deprived from the early start and usually pretty tired from the hike itself. It's almost always dark when I get out and then I drive home for 2½ hours, usually alone. I have learned the hard that to sit and eat a high fat, high protein meal and drink a beer or 2 is a perfect recipe for highway narcolepsy. So now that I stick to coffee, diet coke and a light snack while I drive I only fall asleep at the wheel once or twice.
Wow, you got that right. Add a few weeks of having to stay up for those pesky Red Sox and DANG we were tired. Which is why we stayed at the camp that night. And having to use available winter daylight means those diners have to be open EARLY! We were pretty pleased with the NoonMark.

Neil said:
Whenever I hike I'm sleep deprived from the early start and usually pretty tired from the hike itself. It's almost always dark when I get out and then I drive home for 2½ hours, usually alone. I have learned the hard that to sit and eat a high fat, high protein meal and drink a beer or 2 is a perfect recipe for highway narcolepsy.
Dinner (no beer!*) generally wakes me up. I just make sure there are adequate carbs in the food (quick energy). Sometimes I just bring an extra sandwich--that plus some trail food (I always have some extra in the car) gets me home. (3hrs from the Whites for me.)

* alcohol is a central nervous system depressant...

Doug

DougPaul said:
* alcohol is a central nervous system depressant...

Doug
Oh, so nowwwww he tells me. That changes everything.
:D

Doug, if you can chow down at the LP pub and brewery after a hike and abstain from enjoying one of their micro brewed pints then you are a better man than me.

I'll just climb into my car and munch on a tofu and steamed celery sandwich while sipping a non-Stewarts coffee.

re: drinking CNS depressants...
Neil said:
Oh, so nowwwww he tells me. That changes everything.
:D
Aww come on, you already knew that.

Some how, consuming a CNS depressant before a long, tiring drive doesn't seem like a wise move.

Doug, if you can chow down at the LP pub and brewery after a hike and abstain from enjoying one of their micro brewed pints then you are a better man than me.
Easy. Beer is ok, but I'm not addicted*. (Yes, I know, such an admission may get me kicked off the web site. :) ) How good is their food?

Then there was the time I got back to the car at 2:30am after 17.5 hours of solo backcountry skiing... The last hour of the drive home (into Boston rush hour) was a bit difficult. (I now carry caffeine pills to help in case of any repeat performances.)

* Fortunately the beer that I drank in Munich isn't available here...

Doug

Last edited: