Best After Hike Meals in High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 2nd the Baxter Mt Tavern. Great food, good beer, with a nice outdoor patio in warmer weather.
They keep the large lawn behind the Tavern mowed in the summer. Good place to watch the deer come our and graze at dusk while you're enjoying dinner.

A few minutes north from Paul Smiths is Samson's Bar and Grill, untill recently called the Meacham Lake Inn, located near the 30/458 junction. Having eaten dinner there a week ago, our group of eight gave thumbs up on the eats and service.

The steaks and black angus burgers were especially good.

http://www.samsonsbarandgrill.com/index.html

Gone:

Tip a Canoe is out of business (for sale).

For those who remember River Run on Rte. 9 outside Elizabethtown, it's out of business.

Last I heard, the owner of the Cliffhanger was still planning to complete repairs from the fire and reopen eventually...

Still good:

Noonmark, Baxter Mtn. Tavern, Ausable Inn.

And for southbound folks from Tahawus and Elk Lake, don't forget the stalwart DeCesare's Pizza in Schroon Lake.

For those who go out through Minerva, consider Trapper's (in the Copperfield) and Casey's North (for sale but still operating) in North Creek.

New places / features:

If you're sleeping late, or coming out of the woods early, on a Sunday, the Ausable Inn in Keene Valley now has a terrific Sunday Brunch 11:00-2:30. Great food, wonderful people.

A newer addition is the reopening of the Deer's Head Inn in Elizabethtown. Gourmet dinners! (Not all the service staff are very friendly, though. A couple are nice.)

Cedar Run in Keene (across from the still and forever closed Monty's Elm Tree Inn) has good breakfast and take out baked goods and frozen foods. Take out is open until 6 PM last I looked.

Now I'm hungry again!

TCD

Yes, the Carib Cowboy is great! Just a little pricey; but their signature drink the "Painkiller" is worth it! For less expensive Mexican, there's a good place in the Price Chopper plaza. Name escapes me...

Thanks for the news on the Tip. I went by there last night but didn't notice that it had opened. I'll have to check it out.

Yes also to the Blarney Stone. THE absolute best tasting Captain and Diet, chicken fingers and onion rings ever created were the ones we had there after coming out the woods after 3 1/2 fairly fast paced days on the NP from Piseco. We got out of the woods from Tirrell Pond at about 1:00 PM, went to town for resupply and a restaurant meal, and then hiked back in and stayed at Catlin Bay (#2, right on the water) that night. Great day!

TCD

Baxter Mountain Tavern on Rte 9N (Baxter Mountain Burger)

Down Hill Grill in Lake Placid (fish and chips, chicken fire crackers)

Saranac Sourdough-deli in Lake Placid (killer sandwiches and soups)

Bub's II in Keene (Pizza, wings)

Noonmark (pie)

Just saw the suggestion for mexican

try desporados in Lake Placid near the gas station.

Ed- I also second the Blarneystone in Long Lake-have many a dinners there after hiking in Indian Lake area.

Time for just a little "negative" press. It had to happen some time in this thread. I visited Desperados many times over the years and I do enjoy their food. After a day hike of the Sewards in March 2005, we stopped there and had a great meal.

I paid the group bill which was around $90 and left a $15 tip on my credit card and signed the slip for $105. Two months later, I saw a $15 charge on my card from them. I asked what it was and they claimed they did not charge the original $15 from the bill. I even showed them the original signed slip and they refused to refund the $15. They did not care - arrogance!

The food is good, but I would not trust them use only cash!

Last edited:
What the heck... I'm up there enough. Third the Baxter Mtn. and second Cedar Run in Keene for b-fast. Great coffee. Our group really likes the Cottage for light fare and cocktails as well as beers at the Brewery (haven't tasted the food but here positive reports).

Down Hill is great and, stepping it up, Pete's Steakhouse (maybe not after a hike, though).

Tale-o-the-Pup for sure!! Fun place.

Long Lake: the Diner is great for b-fast and lunch and second/third the Blarney

Great to know about Carrib Cowboy!! And, is any trip up there complete without whatever ice cream special is happening at Stewart's??

I had a miserable meal at Tail O the Pup. It was stone cold and dry like it had been cooked the days before and sat around. For a long time. Left most of it on the plate. I wouldn't go back there.

What?? nobody cooks up a Mountain House Lasagna at the HPIC anymore??? We all turned into gourmets I guess... sheesh! :D

Jay

p.S. the $1 ice cream cones at the Stewarts in Keene are great!

daxs said:
I had a miserable meal at Tail O the Pup. It was stone cold and dry like it had been cooked the days before and sat around. For a long time. Left most of it on the plate. I wouldn't go back there.

Carol, I am very surprised to hear that. We eat there at least once a year, and always enjoy the place. Their pulled-pork and BBQ ribs are great. Granted, not as good as a true southern BBQ, but pretty good nonetheless. You must have there when they were training the new blind chef! :eek:

Another favorite is the Downhill Grill.

Guinness said:
I even showed them the original signed slip and they refused to refund the $15. They did not care - arrogance!

The food is good, but I would not trust them use only cash!

Good too know. I had a bad experience at Down hill grill in LP, the food was great, but the waitress was greedy, we gave a 20% tip and she wasnt happy with it, i know it is not a reflextion on the premise, but attitude is everything.

I have eaten at the Noonmark after a few hikes, awsome food, awsome service, any weight loss during hike was averted! Don't worry mates i had it covered! :rolleyes:

I do look forward to trying tail o the pup, will have to do that on a bike ride!

Happened to see this thread and have to add Simply Gourmet in Lake Placid. Located on Saranac Ave. next to Avalanche Adventures (near the Price Chopper) one owner is Mickey Healy, 46-R #164 and the place features 46 different sandwiches ranging from the $4 Cascade (what else would you have eaten on your first 46) to several at $7.50. The Couchsachraga is a design your own offering starting at $6. Not open for dinner so this doesn't qualify as a post-hike place, but it seems some other places mentioned were also breakfast/lunch operations.

Stewart's

for a steamed dog and banana split...

Hey, New Yorkers,

What time does your favorite diner open in Keene/LP? We're doing Marcy on Saturday and would like someone else to make breakfast... EARLY.

BTW, The Loj is offering NO FOOD service this weekend, as it is "work week" or some such. This is hearsay, but I heard it from a staffer on their reservations line and so am making different plans.

And dinner afterwards seems to center on either Down the Hill Grill, Lake Placid Pub and Brewery, or Baxter Mountain Tavern. Do I have that right? And, of course, they'll need a tv, as the Red Sox will be working out their World Series aspirations that evening.

Please advise! and thanks...

Noonmark in Keene Valley, 6:00 AM.

(Too bad there's no place like Blueberry Hill in Las Vegas. Full Diner menu, 24 hours. Makes for great early starts in Red Rocks.)

My BIASED opinion is for my friend's place, Anywhere's, in Chestertown. Good food and good beers. It's easy to get to after approaching/leaving the Peaks from the south.