Best Catskill Views

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catskillclimber

Reaction score
I am looking forward to hiking in the ADK high peaks again but would like to see all the views worth seeing first in the Cats. Without getting into a long list of peaks I have already done, I would like to know what some of your favorite summits in the Cats are. I love views or interesting climbs. Any recommendations? Thanks. cc

Rain made for poor views on every trip up Blackhead, Black Dome, and Thomas Cole, so altho I've seen good views in other people's photos, I need to get back up for those in good weather. I guess tomorrow (Sunday) is out ..... forecast is hot, humid, and chance of t-storms.

Anyway, back to your question, the weather gods were smiling on the summits of Westkill, Wittenburg, Balsam Lake (firetower views), 2nd time on Indian Head, Slide, Graham, and Windham High Peak. Others, too, but these were particularly nice, for one reason or another. I'd have to say Westkill, (Buckridge lookout) with 100 mile views and a bald eagle cruising over the summit, is my favorite so far. Honorable mentions to Overlook and Ashokan High Point just becuz they are so much fun.

As far as "interesting climbs", just about anything on the Devil's Path is fun with all the steep sections and scrambling opportunities. And, the classic Wittenburg, Cornell, Slide hike, whether done as an end-to-end with a car spot or the longer loop hike is one of my all time favorite hikes anywhere. This hike, as you probably already know, has it all ....... views, scrambling, ladders, open forest, dense scrub, blueberries, ........ ok, time for me to get off the computer and get outside. :D :D :D

Hope to see you on the trails. :)

Thats a tough one but if I had to choose one the view just before the summit of Slide. For some reason everytime I go to that view I am in awe. Another great view is the one from Twin mt (The false summit) As well as the view just before Westkill summit. Who am I kidding they all are great even the views from the hollows.
As for climbs nothing beats Wittenburg, Cornell and slide. The Devils path is also a great one but best when you do all 24+- miles in one shot.

Last edited:
Ashoken High Peak has awesome views of the bushwack range as well as most of the Burrough's Range. Combine that with an easy short bushwack to Little Ashoken Peak for views south of the catskill high peaks, you have an interesting and fun short hike. :)

All of the firetowers in the catskills have great views on a clear day, pick one.

Blackhead has a nice view too, combine that with a hike to burnt knob and acra point for views towards Albany.

Just to name a few..

Jay

My favorite climb and view in the Catskills is off the beaten path. I love the unofficial trail up the southside of Kaaterskill High Peak. It is steep and from the cave to the viewpoint it is awesome. The way it twists and you have to scramble makes it one of my favorite trails. Then the view of the Devils Path from Indian Head to Plateau, Plattekill Clove & the Hudson Valley to the east is remarkable.

I agree with the praise of Ashokan High Peak and its little peak. The best times on the little peak are late June when the laurel is in bloom, and early October when the blueberry/huckleberry bushes flame red, but the views are good any time of the year.

Others that I like (sorry for the long list):
Wittenberg and Slide.
all of the 6 fire towers (including Utsayantha), perhaps Hunter is the best owing to its location.
Hurricane Ledge on Kaaterskill High Peak.
the rock overhang on the eastern brow of Indian Head.
Twin's lower (southeast) summit.
Danny's Lookout and Orchard Point at the west end of Plateau.
opposite the top of the Becker Hollow trail on Hunter, rivals the fire tower IMHO.
Buck Ridge on Westkill.
Bearpen, top of the former ski slopes.
Belleayre's ridge trail and ski slopes.
Camel's Hump west of Thomas Cole (becoming overgrown).
"Camp Steel" just south of Blackhead's summit on the Escarpment Trail (becoming overgrown).
Windham High Peak's northeastern view.
Huntersfield (three views from the summit loop).
the cliffs on Overlook.
Cod Fish Point (on the Overlook Trail on the east face of Plattekill).
Huckleberry Point.
Poet's Ledge.
Dibble's Quarry (with rock furniture).
Palenville Overlook (more rock furniture) and the nearby Indian Head (aka Profile Rock).
the many viewpoints on the Escarpment Trail around North and South Mts.
tops of the upper and lower Kaaterskill Falls.
top of the Pratt Rocks (faint paths at either end of the carved rocks lead to the top).

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I've been hiking in the Cats for a while now but mostly the list stuff. Ashokan High Point sounds like the plan for this week. I have not yet done Kaaterskill High Peak either. I heard that the path on this peak is sometimes hard to follow. Is this true, or only in the winter? Thanks again everyone.
cc

Hard to find. I actually found it stumbling upon it from the summit down the first time. However, I have never had a problem following it. If your good witht the map from the snowmobile trail on the south side - just keep your eyes open. It just crosses it inconspicuously. It is definitely a fun trail.

The Kaaterskill High Peak paths are not too hard to follow. If you start from Platte Clove you can make a short bushwhack from the flat height of land on the Long Path over to the snowmobile path. You will probably hit the snowmobile trail near the lower of two plane crash sites, and then follow the snowmobile trail to the south trail junction where there is a good cairn. The south side path to the summit is better marked (blue paint and plastic discs) than the north. There is one slightly tight climbing spot just below Hurricane Ledge, but it is not too difficult unless wet.

At the summit you may see parts of the second plane wreck which have been carried to the summit. The main wreckage is further east on some herd paths. Many hikers like to bushwhack up or down the east face of KHP past this second wreck. The alternative is to go down the north path, which has a variety of metal, paint blazes, and cairns. I have heard a few hikers state that the north trail is a bit confusing going up, but it should be no trouble going down. The junction with the snowmobile is marked with a cairn and is at a small stream crossing. The next junction of two snowmobile trails is well marked. At the junction with the Long Path is a sign that announces that it is 2.0 miles to Wildcat Falls, 3.9 to Poet's Ledge, and 5.5 to Palenville. Turn right to return to Platte Clove. You can make a worthwhile side trip to Huckleberry Point (2.8 mile round trip) if you have time on the way out.

Last edited:
kaaterskill high peak

just did kaaterskill high peak today (exact trip mentioned above) - awesome! couldn't find the second plane wreck (but didn't try very hard) - first one is right on the trail.

trail up and over the mountain was not a problem - a couple hairy spots on the way up meant my dog needed help but that's about it.

beautiful views - but, to answer the original post - my favorite is giant ledge -- you can make a less tourist hike by going in from Woodland Valley camp.

There are actually three large cairns on the herdpath from the ski trail on the south side of KHP. Be careful of hiking on the southern side of KHP and towards Roundtop, they don't get as much use as the northern side and the elevation of the snowmobile trail kind of leads to the growth of nettles! Drasted nettles, so unless it's winter, you might want to wear long pants in that section. The herdpath to the summit is pretty much clear of nettles since it is used a bit and also gains elevation quickly.

Jay

Ah! Someone finally mentioned Giant Ledge! A great little hike.All views mentioned truly are great.A couple of others for me are from Cornell, looking towards Table, Peekamoose and Slide; and also the eastern edge of Sherrill in winter.

I was also up to Kaaterskill HP on Saturday with a group of Scouts, the views were fantastic but Cornell and Wittenburg and Westkill are better IMO.