Best day hikes near Nassau/Albany NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonOfGrumpyGran

Reaction score
We're going to be in the area this weekend, hoping to get a hike in one day over the weekend, but not seeing much around there. Willing to drive an hour or so, ideal is a 3-6 hour hike. Right now, best bets look like hopping into MA to hike in one of the State parks. We have hiked Greylock more than once, so would be looking for something different.

So far, maybe a section of the Taconic Trail in Pittsfield State Forest? Would like a peak, but a ridge would be fun too.

Any advice appreciated!

We're going to be in the area this weekend, hoping to get a hike in one day over the weekend, but not seeing much around there. Willing to drive an hour or so, ideal is a 3-6 hour hike. Right now, best bets look like hopping into MA to hike in one of the State parks. We have hiked Greylock more than once, so would be looking for something different.

So far, maybe a section of the Taconic Trail in Pittsfield State Forest? Would like a peak, but a ridge would be fun too.

Any advice appreciated!
Which Nassau?

For Albany, the Northern Catskills are about 1 hour away. Consider Windham High Peak, or the Blackheads.

Any advice appreciated!

Mountains such as Brace, Everett, Frissell (CT high point, but summit in MA), Alander, are all nice. Check out this link for these and other suggestions, directions, etc.:
http://www.berkshirehiking.com/

Berlin Mt would be nice, and not too far a drive.
You could also hike the Taconic Crest trail north, catch a few view spots on the way to Snow Hole and then back.
Also scoot over and hike the Monument Mt Preserve in western Mass.

Blueberries should be in on Brace (unless the hot dry weather had them come earlier) For views, the Brace hike is among the best.

Windham & Blackhead, Blackdome are nice also, I prefer them in fall or winter when haze doesn't impactthe view as much.

If you meant Nassua as in Long Island, Bear Mt (NY) is nice, the AT goes over it. I'd try & go early, early (say before 8:00 on the trail) to avoid the crowds who are not hiking.

Brace & Frissell wold be my first choice if I din't get to this area often.