Best way to do a Pemi Loop.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which direction is best for doing a Pemi loop?

• Total voters

Neil

Reaction score
Until I find the answer to this burning question I won't be able to sleep, work or eat.

Clockwise is a lot easier in my opinion. All smooth sailing once you hit South Twin, and the Wilderness Trail goes by fast if you run it.

I'd rather sit on Bondcliff as the sun starts to set over the Franconias. The long Lincoln Woods/Wilderness Trail (and even the Bondcliff trail) can be done in pitch black.

I guess I don't think of it as easiest, fastest, or whatever. I just think of it as "best" for me.

Last edited:
I voted counterclockwise since that is the only way I have done it :rolleyes:
I liked getting the longer rail bed approach out of the way first. It was still tedious running out on the shorter leg after coming down off Flume.
We did it on a scorching hot July 4th, consumed 4L of water apiece, refilled 4L at Galehead and we each had barely a mouthful of liquid left by the time we got back to the car.
It still remains one of my all-time best long days on feet - the views, the variety of terrain, the amount of elevation gain.

Counter clockwise gets my vote. The first 5-6 miles are done in a flash, Franconia Ridge is nice to look forward to, and you can hammer down the Osseo Trail. :)

though i admittedly have only done it clock-wise i don't know if i would want to do it in the other direction. the idea of saving garfield and franconia ridge for the second half of the hike doesn't appeal to me. as lriz said, if you go clock-wise once you are over south twin you can pretty much go on auto pilot over the bonds and out. the view from bondcliff back to what you traversed earlier in the day isn't to shabby either....

bryan

Ahh yes. Franconia Ridge in March at midnight. How I always look forward to that.
Or if you are as slow as me.. going clockwise and being on Franconia Ridge at 3 a.m. Not that I did that with Ferris or anything..

Best way to do a Pemi Loop? In daylight and sober.

If in doubt, do it clockwise, as the spin of the earth will make it easier. On the other hand, if hiking in the Southern Hemisphere ...

I think in your planning you should consider the following and I'm assuming a start at the Lincoln Ranger Station on the Kanc:

1) where you plan to spend the night(s) ... I would look for a days hike apart with the longest stretch without a suitable campsite being the last day (this suggests clockwise for me and works out as the longest stretch from the base of the Bonds is probably the easiest and my preference for finishing up).

2) weather ... plan it to be exposed in the best weather, sheltered in the worst weather. If you start out with nice weather then the risk is bad weather at the end and the most shelter I believe is again from the base of the Bonds back to Lincoln.

Another reason why I prefer clockwise is I hate the hump from Garfield Pond to Lafayette. Much rather go down it.

Conversely, if you were concerned about getting pooped and needed to call for a 'rescue', it's a shorter litter carry from the Franconia Ridge than the Bonds ridge....

Good point, Dug. That climb up Garfield was a real bear! Lafayette also seemed to be a neverending series of false summits.
Still, that was back in my fatter, less fit days so I would make better time doing it now. Although replicating the weather of that perfect sunny, if hot, day might never happen again.
It was also cool coming out in the dark and hearing the booms of July 4th fireworks.

You may have an opportunity to be one of the rare true completer of modern times :D Instead of following the new Osseo trail, locate and follow the old trail. That would be more like your kind of loop ;)

Or if you are as slow as me.. going clockwise and being on Franconia Ridge at 3 a.m. Not that I did that with Ferris or anything..

yeah, and that wouldn't be me up there around midnight this past Friday either... no way, lol :(