Beta on Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZKlimber

Reaction score
We're planning our 46th Adirondack high peak climb and have left Allen for last. Need to decide day hike or overnight - anyone know of a decent camping spot near water? Is there room for more than 1 tent? Heard there is a spot near Skylight Brook. My understanding is the path is not difficult to follow with a headlamp at the end of a long day hike. Planning for June or July right now.

Any help appreciated.

KZ (look who's giving advice!): The long path back to Skylight Brook is a mixture of abandoned roads in the mine area, maintained camp roads, old tote roads, and marked "herd paths" through the forest. I think that it's a total of 7 miles back to Skylight Brook at the base of the mountain. It is fairly easy to follow, although I didn't do it at night (It's easier to follow in the dark than the Macomb slide, though!).

There is a small area just across Skylight Brook that is commonly used for camping - room for just a couple tents. It's too close to the water to be legal. There are places just before the brook, or just past it that you may be able to camp. Be careful crossing the brook, as the flow can be very strong. Good luck to you guys on #46. -ALG

AlG: Allen is one of my possible summer peaks (but since I have 41 left, all could change depending on climbing partners), and I was planning to use the site you described (across from Skylight Brook) that was also described on www.adirondackjourney.com. I was not aware of the potential illegality of the site. Is it acceptable to use, or will I be asked to move? (I'm a relative ADK newbie, so excuse my ignorance). I have a mid July date planned. PM me if you'd prefer to discuss off-line.

I'm pretty certain noone will be asking you to move if you camp there. I dayhiked it, and that spot looked like a great campsite to me on the way out.

The SKylight campspot....

.... has some issues. The height of land before the decent to skylight looked like a great area to camp when I was there. There are a couple of ponds, and streams running down from them too. Its about .7 miles before skylight brook.

Mike

Do it as a day hike. It is long mileage-wise but a lot of it is flat ot relatively flat to and from Skylight Brook. Round trip for my brother and I (middle-agers) was about 11 hours with 1/2 hour at the top. It's a fun but slippery hike up Allen Brook.

If I remember correctly, the camping spot is illegal because it is too close to the brook.