Big Slide 11/5 Success :)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dory

Reaction score
We made the trip up from PA with the promise of exceptional conditions. (Exceptionally bad, that is!) :) My sister Amy, our friend Colby and I had a departure time of 6AM which placed us at the high peaks around 1:30. After a quick stop at the Mountaineer for last minute weather and trail updates we hit the Garden around 2. Ran into a fellow who grew up in the area and had just returned from living in Utah for 3 years. He had stopped in the area for an overnight trip on his way to a job in Vermont. He had done the Jaws and his trip advice was what we had been hearing; 2-3 foot drifts near the summits; all slush; no crampons or snowshoes necessary. We were hoping for a spot at the Howard Lean-to, and as we set out, the 3 of us agreed that the trail into JBL was not nearly as bad as we had imagined. It was more like springtime conditions, a lot of mud, some fine puddles, only a few trees down. We passed 2 couples and a father-son team on their way out. We found the Howard occupied and opted for the designated camping area nearby; although there was a 30% chance of rain we enjoyed a dinner of soft tacos and some amazing star gazing. Slide Mtn Brook was running very high and we gave a shout out to two groups coming in the dark; directing them to the high water bridge crossing. A solo hiker passed through first but the first group were a father and 2 son team headed for the Bushnell falls lean-to. Later a group of 5 passed through on their way to Camp Peggy. The morning dawned cool with the promise of blue skies. There was a haze that continued throughout the day. We broke camp and set out for Big Slide around 9AM. Since the last forecast we heard called for a chance of rain we wanted to leave our packs in the Lean-to and in the process woke the couple sleeping there. Sorry! :eek:
The biggest challenge on the 2.3 miles were the stream crossings. We should have probably considered a bushwack on one side of the stream rather than following the trail as my sister did not have Gore-tex boots and we were rather reluctant to see her feet get wet so early in the day. However, we spent the time at each stream crossing finding a 'good' place to cross; it made the adventure much more exciting. There was minimal blowdown after the stream crossings and after a snack stop and picture-mania at one of the overlooks we summited around 11:45 AM. We experienced between 4" and 1' of snow above 3500 feet. The guide book was accurate that the views were spectacular, even with the haze. We spent about an hour at the summit, enjoying lunch and the warm sunshine...it was nearly impossible to imagine that it was November. We shared the summit with a solo-hiker carrying a load of camera equipment; a couple (Shane and Suzy) and another solo hiker (Sean Ryan). The latter 3 had come in over the Brothers and said the blowdown was significant. They all opted for a return to the Garden via the Slide Mtn brook trail and out from JBL. We took off for Yard hitting a bit more snow than mud and snapped a few more pictures at a small overlook (big boulder) just after the summit. The descent from Yard returned us to the "mud bog shuffle" as we hopped from log to rock to avoid mud pools. We encountered the most significant blowdown as we descended into Klondike Notch on our return to JBL. We had to skirt several 30 yard sections of trail that were impassable and arrived back at the Howard Lean-to around 4PM. The couple we woke in the morning had left and in packing needed to move our equipment around a bit. And left us...3...count them....3 snickers bars. Men, for us women this is the equivalent of a power tool or a free case of beer. Chocolate! There couldn't be a more thoughtful gift! :) We relaxed for a while and cooked up a fine dinner of pasta, salmon, and shrimp; then crashed in the lean-to telling stories and listening to the roar of John's Brook. We were up early for a quick breakfast and broke camp at 8AM. By 9:30 we were back at the car and once again ran into the father and 2 son team that had passed through in the darkness Friday night. They had attempted Haystack but had to turn back from too much snow and blowdown. We were glad to hear they made it out safe. The tale doesn't end here though, as we decided to make the drive to the ADK Loj for a shower, only to find the showers torn apart for an upgrade! :eek: Oh well, we headed south for a fine lunch and several beers at a restaurant in Lake George and then it was the drive back to PA. Our first 'winter' trip really turned out to be a spring weather event, but we'll be back in January! Thanks again to all of you out there that post your trip reports and trail conditions...they were invaluable!

Dory

p.s. I'll try to get up a link to pictures!

Nice trip report! Sounds like you had a good weekend. Just curious, any idea what the low temps were at night? At camp (Speculator), it was down to about 40, and it's usually 10 degrees colder up in the peaks. When did you first start to hit snow? Thanks! (I'll be looking for the pictures) Lance

Low temps and snow depths

slamdog said:
Nice trip report! Sounds like you had a good weekend. Just curious, any idea what the low temps were at night? At camp (Speculator), it was down to about 40, and it's usually 10 degrees colder up in the peaks. When did you first start to hit snow? Thanks! (I'll be looking for the pictures) Lance

Hey Slam! Well, I'd guess those lows were in the mid to upper 30's. I can't say I saw any type of frost or verglass on any rocks or anything to indicate that it had hit freezing near our camp; I'd imagine the summits were a different story in the early morning. Coming off of summer temps though, we did throw on our down jackets in the morning at camp. We hit little patches of snow here and there between 2500 and 3000 feet with the amount and depth increasing as we ascended but this was certainly in the most shaded areas. Any part of trail with exposure to sunlight was running water. The snow was a very slushy consistency and you could just hear it melting away as we basked in the sun! It was quite incredible weather!! :)

Nice report. I can picture it all very clearly. The mud and the snow and the high water. Sounds like a lot of new blowdown? Cant wait to get back on the trails. I,m hoping the ground will be frozen whence i return.
Some day you should do the three brothers . Pretty spectacular.
Have a beauty.......Ward

Nice Report! I was up on Big Slide a few weeks ago.... a great mountain, and as Ward says the trail over the brothers is quite spectacular.Your picture link works perfectly by the way.

Dory, Nice report. Man, I haven't been over there is many years and I've forgotten how nice the summit is. (a third for Brothers).

ADK and mud... well... but surprized to hear of the blowdown. Is that the result of recent weather?

Also, share specs with us for your salmon/shrimp meal.

Showers

Dory, I forgot that I was going to add... about showers -- I'm pretty sure that you can hit them at the Hostile in Keene (although I don't know if this is general public or for those who have some history of patronage). Also, over on the North Elba side, I've stopped in at the Wispering Pines Campground and asked permission to shower there. They are open year round IIRC.

Well, I had already read your TR Tom (and several others). I guess I hadn't put damage into the mix. I remember from Neils TR of the same time that there was plenty of snow that was hard to get through and that trees were loaded with snow, but didn't realize there was as much blowdown.

Thanks for the answer.

Salmon pasta mmmmmmmmm!!!

Bubba,
Sorry for the delayed response. I modified this recipe off of freezerbagcooking.com which incidentally has awesome ideas if you're into dehydrating food:

2 cups pasta (penne or mac)
1.5 tsp butter buds (Butter or margarine can be subbed, use 1 Tbl.)
1/2 cup dried onion
2 chicken bullion cube, crushed (or use the Herb Ox low sodium no MSG version)
4 Tbs instant milk
4 Tbs grated parmesean cheese (you can use about 4 packets)
4 tbs tomato power (or soup mix)
small container of peas
one packet of salmon in those vacuum sealed packets
one packet of shrimp

In Camp:
Cook the pasta and drain about 1/2 the water. stir in all the spices, shrimp, salmon, and peas. Heat thru.

Feeds 3 hikers

And yeah, that blowdown was a result of that large snowstorm a few weeks ago. Glad you liked the pics!

Dory said:
I modified this recipe off of freezerbagcooking.com which incidentally has awesome ideas if you're into dehydrating food

Dang, it's too bad you aren't going on the JBL trip with us! :D

But I will have to check out that site. Thanks.

bubba said:
Dory, I forgot that I was going to add... about showers -- I'm pretty sure that you can hit them at the Hostile in Keene (although I don't know if this is general public or for those who have some history of patronage).

I can affirm this. The hostel in keene VALLEY does offer a shower for a fee of $3.00 I believe. They are right across from the noonmark diner. Unlimited hot water for $3.00 is great in my book. I have stayed at the hostel a couple of times, always was a treat.

-percious

Hostel Info

Thanks for that info on the hot showers guys! It sure beats a 25 mile round trip to the Loj before heading back to 87.