Big Slide, Basin and Saddleback-June 14-16, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKdremn

Reaction score
Big Slide, Basin and Saddleback-MAY 14-16, 2010

Getting close....I can taste the 46! After much planning and trying to figure out how to best attack (or squeeze in as much as possible into one weekend) my remaining peaks I finally put a plan in place. Got some great advice from Cory D to just slow down, take it easy, and enjoy. So that's just what I did and what a weekend it was!
I met Adam in Albany and we carpooled up to the Garden arriving about 9:30 Friday morning. Only a handful of cars and we checked the log book hoping to score the Howard Memorial lean-to....the first lean-to I stayed at back in October of 2005 for a failed attempt at the Lower Range after a 2' snowfall. The forcast wasn't looking so great for the weekend, but we were hoping for the best. This weekend proved once again that the weather people just don't know how to forcast weather! Started off to the lean-to around 10 and made it to the empty lean to just in time for some lunch, and oh yeah.....a shot of Red Stag. Set up camp, snacked and we were off to Big Slide.
The Slide Brook trail is great. I think we counted about 6 or 7 brook crossings with just high enough water to keep it interesting. Broke out onto the open slide with a little bit of that famous Allen red slime. Though not quite as slick. At this point the sun was shining bright and we had great views over towards Gothics! Saw a few patches of snow up high which I just love! A little bit of mud and of course the clouds came back just in time for the summit. I'm getting good at identifying the inside of a cloud! We lounged and snacked...on what else, but of course....cheez wiz! Adam was there so what did you expect? Had the summit all to ourselves and eventually had a few cloudy views. Of course, by the time we made it back down to the open slide the sun was out again and we had more great views of Gothics. We sat down for a while and soaked it all in. Back to the lean-to where Adam prepared a fantastic dinner of sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions. We ate on the rocks in Johns Brook, and I can't think of a better place for dinner! We spent the evening doing a little walking over to the outpost and the new bridge, etc. Good times!
Woke up the next morning and were on the trail around 6:30 or so for Basin and Saddleback. Took the quick detour down to Bushnell Falls and we were glad we did! It's beautiful and the first time either of us had been there. The morning was kind of cloudy and misty and again we were hoping for the best. Before we knew it we were at Slant Rock where we took a break for some snack.....that's right, more Cheez Wiz. Took a peak around the corner and there it was.....SNOW! Of course, I was excited and Adam probably cursed at the sight of it. From here on out we ran into quite a bit of snow. It was patchy, but still pretty significant. More than either of us though we'd run into. Fortunately, it was supportive. At least for me! Adam had a few postholes here and there, but nothing to get excited about. Shorey was a lot of fun! However, at the very top, whoever hiked it recently must have had a huge nicotine fit. Counted 8 Parliament butts right on the trail....real nice. I hate seeing people empty their ash trays at a stop sign, but in the mountains....come on! Anyway, we made it to Basin where it was, you guessed it cloudy! Of course, we waited it out and before you knew the clouds were blowing away revealing spectacular views of Haystack right there in front of us! Life was good!! Onwards to Saddleback and the famous cliffs we went! Great....no wait, awesome, amazing, out of this world views of Gothics, Pyarmid, Saddleback and more while heading down Basin. It was a blast! I got in some May butt sliding and even did a snow angel. It doesn't get any better than this. All of the sudden we were at the cliffs of Saddleback. Now I know why they say if you're afraid of heights or exposure you might want to consider a different route! The adrenaline was definitely pumping. I carefully worked my up while I made Adam wait behind me in case he needed to catch me. Those cliffs were fun, but I can't imagine them in winter.....guess I'll have to find out for myself. Topped out on Saddleback, #44!!!!! The views were outstanding....no BREATHTAKING!!! Back to Basin with Marcy peaking over it, the Macs and Colden and so many more that I can't even pick out! (remember, I'm used to identifying the inside of a cloud)
We took our time and really savored the moment in no rush to be anywhere! Eventually we headed out only to have more amazing views over towards the Lower Range on the way down. I gave some people over on the cable route a good yell...would have liked to see their reaction! Down the Orebed we went where we ran into our first people sighting in almost 30 hours! Finally made it back to the lean to after some confusion on the Southside Trail. Never listen to Adam and always follow the sign that points you in the direction you know you want to go!
Another great meal of various Hawk Vittles and more Red Stag!! I think I gained weight this weekend!
So it was a nice "relaxing" weekend of some great peak bagging. I now sit at 44/46. These mountains are amazing and I feel so fortunate and priveliged to be able to spend the little bit of time that I get to there.
Thanks Adam for a great weekend!
PICTURES!

Last edited:
great photos. the bird is absolutely a male yellow-rumped warbler, very common.