Bigelow Range 10/10-10/12/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score

Coming down of West Peak

Trails: Appalachian Trail, Horns Pond Trail, Firewarden Trail
Peaks: Little Bigelow (3025ft.), Avery Peak (4088ft.), West Peak (4145ft.), South Horn (3805ft.)
Camped at: Safford Notch and Horns Pond

Finally getting around to trip report writing. :eek:

Last weekend I spent 3 days traversing the Bigelows with my father and our friend, Freddy. We were met on day two on South Horn by my sister, Kristen with her boyfriend Dustin, and their new Aussie Shepard pup, Gunnar. We had never hiked the Bigelows prior and had an AWESOME time.

Got on the AT at East Flagstaff Rd and had an interesting, albeit wet hike over Little Bigelow Mtn. to Safford Notch tentsite. We saw it all on day one, at bit of rain, sleet, snow, then the sun came out once we got to camp. Unfortunately we were socked on going over the mountain so no views on day 1 aside from a small look at Flagstaff Lake early on in the day. Safford Notch apparently has had a bear problem this summer but we didn't meet him. Everything was wet and I was tired from the previous night's festivities (Carrabassett Inn ;)) so we skipped the fire. Dinner of Red Pepper Pork Chops and noodles hit the spot after a cheese and cracker/chicken soup appetizer! We passed the time after by listening to tunes on my iTouch while sipping on some Manhattans. We had the place to ourselves. The night was clear so we had high hopes for the "meat and potatoes" of the hike to be under clear skies. On to day 2...

We awoke to snow showers!! And it was freakin' cold, so getting out of my bag was pretty tough. Had a solid breakfast and were on the trail at 9 and the sun was out. The climb up to "Old Mans Head" passes through an area of huge boulders below the cliff before climbing steadily up to a couple different viewpoints, each better then the previous. Upon reaching the OMH side trail I added long-johns and some more layers because it was snowing lightly, no more sun, and far from warm. My view from OMH was obscured by snowshowers but I could see enough to get the idea, Flagstaff Lake is huge and I couldn't even see it all yet. I waited here for my father and Fredo, telling them the side trail was worth it. The climb to Avery went pretty quick and I took shelter in the lee of the lookout tower from the wind and show showers. Here I added my snowpants for added warmth and after talking with a bunch of people I was left alone to wait. I was semi-disappointed because clouds were really putting the brakes on any views for a bit especially to the south, we were in and out of coulds. Since there was an open window up in the tower I jumped up (no stairs), grabbed onto the sill and pulled myself in. *AHHHH* out of the wind! Eventually my partners showed but we didn't mess around up on Avery for long, we paused for a couple pics and descended to Bigelow col for lunch.The wind was strong but the views were starting to open up at this point.

Avery Peak and Little Bigelow from the shoulder of West Peak

While eating at Avery tentsite in Bigelow col the sun came out again! The climb up West Peak was pretty quick and steady as views started to open up again towards Avery peak. I got to the West Peak summit and a large college group of about 20 kids had the summit proper on lock down. So I found an equally beautiful and quiet ledge to sit on while awaiting the "grumpy old men." Thankfully the sun was now out, the wind less strong, and views were fantastic in all directions. This was the highlight of the trip for me, loungin' out on West Peak.

Flagstaff Lake and us on West Peak

Eventually we would pick our way through the group of students surrounding the summit sign, touch the highpoint, and continue on the way to South Horn. This is a nice 2.1 mile ridgewalk in the trees, a couple views mixed in before the final steep climb to the South Horn viewpoint. I would wait again here for my Dad and Freddy, taking in the views dominated by Sugarloaf and the Crockers while chatting with a nice fellow from Bangor named Mike. By this time the horizon to the NE had opened up and Katahdin was in view as well as other Baxter peaks like Doubletop. After waiting around a bit, out pops my sister's boyfriend, Dustin and their new puppy, Gunnar who is real cute. They had come up Horns Pond Tr. that morning and had already set up camp at Horns Pond. Not long after, my sister follows and joins the view soaking and chit-chat. Last to join the party were my Dad and Freddy, who were feeling it after their third and final climb of the day.

We got to camp at Horns Pond and set up, then took some time to look around, this is one hell of a tentsite. Nice hardened earth tensites and two large lean-tos, and not to mention the pond itself is very pretty. The night was cold, we got a pretty good snowshower while we were eating. So after our dinner of Swedish Meatballs and Idahoan Mashies it was straight to the Manhattans and Jameson for warmth and morale! :D We had a radio so we learned the freakin Red Sox had got swept then had the "pleasure" of listening to Denver win on a field goal, blahh!! Dustin and Kristen had also hiked up a few Fosters Oil cans! Needless to say I slept great.

Next morning we were up and out by 9 and onto the very gradual Horns Pond trail down to the cars via the bottom of Fire Wardens Tr. What a nice route, it never gets overly steep and footing is very very good. Near the bottom we got some views back up to the ridge from Stratton Brook Pond which was pretty nice. After a lunch at Stratton Diner and sayin goodbye to my sister and Dustin, we took the scenic route back over Route 17 from Rangeley and over the "Heights of Land." Just a gorgeous way to end a fantastic Columbus Day weekend.

Full Album here (176 photos)

Slideshow here

*On a side note, Avery and West Peaks were #s 59 and 60 of the NE67 4Ks. And South Horn makes 65/NE100 Highest.

Last edited:
Hey Todd . . . sounds like you had a great time with family & friends! Great report & nice photos!

Thank you all for your comments.

I echo any sentiment on getting to the Bigelow Range. This initially was going to be a trip to Old Speck (been there done that), but I pushed for this hike.

I heard no bitching, aside from the last climb up South Horn on the "grumpy old men's" longest and toughest day ("Who's idea was this" :)), it was freakin' gorgeous. This is a must do in good weather, the views are that good.

Last edited:
Any idea what access is like in the winter?

Once there's been some decent snowfall, I'd like to get up on those peaks.

I'm assuming that trailhead access roads are plowed, etc.?

The caretaker at the Horn Pond campsite said that the access road is unplowed for most of its length. He guides parties on winter Bigelow climbs and usually skis to where it starts getting steep on the Firewarden Trail.

Marty
P.S. Great report, TDawg!