Blaze overkill, waffle sandwiches’, and a new synonym for “steep.”

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
Allen, 2/21/2009:

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to hike a mountain walking backwards? I do…sometimes. This has nothing to do with this trip report, but I couldn’t think of a good way to begin, so that’s what you get. My father and I and my best friend woke up at 3am on Saturday morning. After a nice breakfast, we headed for the Allen trailhead. Having been warned that this hike made for a LONG day, I spent much of the car ride preparing myself mentally for a long hike, in addition to sleeping. Because of the sleeping part, and the fact that I was the navigator, we happened to miss our turn. This, combined with the poor driving conditions, made us almost 30 minutes late for our rendezvous with the two other hiking parties we had planned to accompany. “Oh well,” I told myself, as we left the parking lot by 7am and continued to keep a pretty good pace in the beginning. Our two groups had gone in ahead of us, so the trail was nicely packed down. Two nice gentlemen began hiking about 5 minutes before us as well, and would end up participating in a fun game of hiking tag for the remainder of the day. After about 15 minutes we had caught up with them, and passed them. After about another 15 minutes, I saw a sign written in the snow next to the trail that said “Hi Tyler,” this made me smile! After about another 15 minutes we caught up with our group. It was excellent to meet adkpiper (ADKHP forum) for the first time; he is a delightful and knowledgeable outdoor enthusiast. I also met up with my snow-message writer and new hiking friend this year, 46erDan. It was a pleasure to see them and the rest of the people in their group. We hiked with them to the Opalescent River, which happens to be quite frozen over currently, and I only saw one small hole of exposed water.

After crossing the river, we said our temporary goodbyes to Dan, adkpiper, and the rest of their crew, and hiked on ahead. Within 5 minutes we overtook yet another group who were, as usual, delightful. Now it was time to break trail, one of the downfalls of a faster pace. The snow depth was only 2 or 3 inches, however, and had an excellent base to it, so we didn’t have too much work to do. A light snow had been falling, which was very interesting as the sky was only partly cloudy. After a little while we reached the trail split-off between Allen and Marcy. We kept right on moving, and for the remaining “gradual” part of the trip I remember little but the cadence of my footsteps, and the homemade blazes on the trees. Speaking of which, what’s up with those? There was an excessive overkill of awkwardly-cut plastic trailmarkers, some as close as 10 feet between each other on the path. As far as I am concerned, these are pretty ridiculous, though I don’t know if I would have been as frustrated had we had no clear trail to follow. After awhile we hit the base of the steep part. This is where things got fun. We had been breaking up to 6 inches of snow at this point, and our 2 friends who began before us had now caught up. I was a gentleman, and let them go ahead of me, conveniently also providing me with a break from traipsing through deep snow.

The remainder of the trudge between there and the slide can be categorized as “challenging.” We played several rounds of tag with the other two men, as each of us tired ourselves out with the deep snow and steep terrain. By the time we reached the slide, we were all pooped. I do appreciate all the nice work done by past hiking parties this year of making a firm base for us to rest on! About half way up the slide, the group we had passed shortly after the Opalescent caught up with us. We now invited them into the game of tag, and they kept close on our heals. Finally, after a rather insufferable amount of time, we reached the summit! The two guys before us had made it first, and my father, best friend, and I were second. The summit sign was even further below knee level than I had seen in previous photos this year, and we had to stoop down to have our picture taken. After about 2 minutes the group behind us made it up, and about 10-15 minutes after that our friends Dan, adkpiper, and their whole clan arrived as well. There was much rejoicing. Views were limited, and consisted of mainly Skylight, and a few, blurry surrounding peaks.

After spending about 20 minutes on the top, we said more temporary goodbyes, and began the long descent. Right before the slide I ran into arm (ADKHP forum and VFTT), and soon after that Donna (VFTT) as well. Now when I say “ran into” I don’t exactly mean I physically ran into them, I just passed them, smiled and said hello, and kept hiking. Just thought I’d clear that up. With our sleds carrying us at breathtaking speeds after the slide, we were soon back down to the bottom of the steep part. We then passed the group we had passed after the Opalescent who had left the summit before us. I hope you are keeping track of all these groups. Soon afterward, the sky seemed to clear up, and clear views of surrounding peaks and valleys ensued. We took our time hiking back to the gravel pit, and eventually the “little Flowed Lands.” Once there, all three of us soaked in the deep blue sky, warm rays from the sun, and vistas of Adams, Allen, and other mountains in the area. The walk from there back to the car, though long, was delightful and I savored the beauty and harmony of it all as we took our time. My last hurrah was when I came up with the brilliant idea to hike the last mile in 15 minutes. I was already quite soar and exhausted, but wanted to go out with a bang, so I half jogged, have sped-walk back to the parking lot. It took me 17 minutes, pretty much a fail I suppose being two minutes longer than I desired. Arriving at our cars by 5 o’clock made the entire trip take 10 hours, which I was quite happy with. I saw the two young men who began the trip right before us, said my goodbyes as they drove off, and hung out around the car until the rest of my group showed up. Then, after saying farewell and congratulations to the other hiking assemblies, my father and I drove off to sleep and get ready for Sawteeth the next day. I will write that report next, as a reply to this beginning thread, later...when I do that, the title of this thread will make more sense! ;)

And some videos of the summit and excessive trailmarkers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c76uCVMJTHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GS1sQbYRdw

Last edited:
Tyler, the "blazes" which aren't "blazes" are on the private property and serve to keep people on the access trail and off the rest of the private property. They are cut plastic made to match what a regular trial marker would look like. A "blaze" is the the normal term for when the trail is marked by physical means such as paint or a axe swipe. In the ADK the common means to mark a trail now is the plastic reflective disc. "Blazing" is what is usually done by private property owners to mark boundary lines, the trail in the Sewards from Corey's road with the blue paint would be an example. I'm only pointing this out so that people not familiar showing up to your thread don't turn this into some huge drama. Your title with "blazing" will definitely bring the wilderness hero trolls running.

Tyler, the "blazes" which aren't "blazes" are on the private property and serve to keep people on the access trail and off the rest of the private property. They are cut plastic made to match what a regular trial marker would look like. A "blaze" is the the normal term for when the trail is marked by physical means such as paint or a axe swipe. In the ADK the common means to mark a trail now is the plastic reflective disc. "Blazing" is what is usually done by private property owners to mark boundary lines, the trail in the Sewards from Corey's road with the blue paint would be an example. I'm only pointing this out so that people not familiar showing up to your thread don't turn this into some huge drama. Your title with "blazing" will definitely bring the wilderness hero trolls running.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that a blaze was any sort of trailmarker, including the disks. I appreciate you clearing that up.

And thanks Adam and Tom for your encouraging remarks! So nice to have positive feedback!

I saw the Tyler note and wondered who it was. We passed and got passed by you guys all day and didn't catch your names. We were the ones parked next to you. We enjoyed your group's youthful exuberance, although I still think you're crazy for sledding down the slide. Hopefully we'll cross paths again.
Tim

PART 2! The following day....

Sawteeth, 2/22/2009:

…and so the saga continues. I hear that Sawteeth has breathtaking views. I wouldn’t know, sadly enough, for the entire hike yesterday it snowed, non-stop. We arrived at the parking lot a little later than usual, and were hiking on the actual Lake Road by 8:05am. I was pleased by the comparatively warm temperatures, in the low 20s, but was a little tired of snow blowing on my face. Hiking into Ausable lake was rather uneventful, and the most exciting part was passing some hikers coming out of Gill Brook and the Colvin Trail. The road was very well packed down, and an only an inch or two of powder covered the surface. I was entertained by the small snow balls that were shown out in front of my snowshoes after every step. My father and I arrived at the bridge below the lake by 10am. The wind was pretty intense, and I watched as the snow flew diagonally past my line of sight. Soon after the bridge the trail decided not the mess around, and began a steady ascent towards the yonder mountain. At this point I was reminded that I had hiked Allen the day before, as my legs, shoulders and hips cried out in dismay at my prolonged abuse of their tender nerves.

About half way between the bridge and the col between Gothics and Sawteeth we ran into a group of three young men descending from a night above. One of the guys had made his own snowshoes, something I had never seen before! He said it took him about 14 hours, and he used squaw wood and lots of thick twine to keep the structure together. After a little more hiking, we reached the col. At this point another group, who had also spent the night, crossed us on the trail. At the risk of them reading this report, I will post one small criticism: they were not wearing snowshoes. Please wear snowshoes! Not simply because it’s the law, but also because it makes it very, very challenging to hike over your post holes. Not to mention that it will be easier for you! I had forgotten how challenging and frustrating post holes can be, and I grumbled my way along the trail for the next 5 minutes until I passed their campsite. At this point, the amount of snow really became rough. Though this group of 5 had come from the scenic trail the day before, we could barely see their path. By the time we reached the summit, there was already a good 8 to 10 inches of fresh snow we were packing down.

Oh yes, we reached the summit! Yay, our 37th winter High Peak! At this point I took out my new invention, the waffle sandwich. I prefer to eat bagels with cream cheese on the trail. They don’t freeze too badly, have lots of calories, and taste phenomenal. However, we were fresh out of those back at my house, and being a poor college student I had no aspirations to go out and purchase any, since I would rather spend my money on gear. So, I used what resources we had around, which consisted of cream cheese, jelly, and waffles. Put all three of those together, and you have a waffle sandwich! I learned later on that apparently my mom had made these for me when I was a little child, though I don’t actually remember that exact combination. Two of those babies filled me up, though, and they tasted excellent! I now almost prefer these over bagels, and will certainly bring some on my next trip.

Anyway, the top of Sawteeth was fairly anticlimactic. Because of the snow, the views were comparable to starring into a freezer, minus the ice trays and frozen turkey. Yea, I guess I’ll just have to come back on a clearer day and soak in the vistas. We decided to take the scenic trail back down to the lake. Well, this may not have been our best decision ever. Despite being warned by our previous post-holing friends that the trail was both steep and icy, we began our descent none-the-less if only for the challenge of it. Hey, guess what, they weren’t kidding around! We learned that “scenic” is a new synonym for “steep.” The trail had some excellent examples of precipitous angles and icy goodness. Not only this, but the snow was so deep at this point that much of the time the trail was indecipherable, despite the group of 5 who had come up that way less than 24 hours ago. The combination of steepness, deep snow, and loosing the trail about 8 times, made for a 4 hour descent of 2.9 miles. To put this in perspective, it took us 2 hours to hike from the bridge to the summit of Sawteeth, as we summited by 12. Yet, we did not return to the bridge until 4pm in the afternoon; that’s 2 hours up, 4 hours back. Not only that, but the only hint of a view we received was from overlook 1 on the trial, overlook 2 through 5 were like watching a TV in-between channels.

Oh well, it was a learning experience and at least we now know what that trail holds. Once we were back on the lake road, we picked up speed again. The trail at this point looked like it had been packed down by a whole expedition of hikers, and we made good time. On our return, we passed Julie, of the famed “Hiking Mates” of the Capital District of NY, and her small group. After chatting for a few minutes, we passed them and made our triumphant return to civilization by 5:05pm. The whole hike thus took us a little over 9 hours. Then it was time for us to recover, re-think, and rejoice. I plan on hiking the scenic trail when there is no snow and on a sunny day. I hear Sawteeth has breathtaking views….

Check out my Youtube account if you so desire to see a few more videos of Sawteeth, sledding, and such.

Thank you all so much for reading this long report. I hope you enjoyed it!

Last edited:
I saw the Tyler note and wondered who it was. We passed and got passed by you guys all day and didn't catch your names. We were the ones parked next to you. We enjoyed your group's youthful exuberance, although I still think you're crazy for sledding down the slide. Hopefully we'll cross paths again.
Tim

Hi Tim! I recognized your name in the log book, but I always find it a little awkward asking people "are you so-and-so." It was very nice to meet you and chat and all. Now are you the gentleman that climbed Allen 8 times?!? Because IMHO that's a little crazy, haha.