Blowin' in the wind on Madison & Adams 4/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
Arriving at the Appalachia parking lot, I didn't have to wait long for the rest of today's crew to show up. MEB, Rachael (little sister), Carmel, Amy (Yam) and myself were geared up and off shortly after 9 am. We decided to go for the Air Line Trail, hit Madison first, hop over to Adams and then decide our route down. I was pushing for the tram, a couple others were thinking about driving back down.

The hike up was a hot one. The wind died immediately upon entering the woods, and temps were around 30. Carmel was soon down to shorts, the only smart one in the group. We stopped often to eat, drink, de-layer and some people even drew naughty pictures in the snow. The illustrator swears it was so we could find our way back later...SURE.

This was the first time I can recall hiking with a group of all women, and it was a blast. Dirty jokes and... um... "girl talk" made the climb up Air Line go quickly. :D

At the hut we ditched our packs and headed up Madison. The winds picked up a bit toward the top, but it wasn't too bad. We had the whole place to ourselves, there was nobody else in sight. So, we spent the next 10 minutes shooting goofy photos. Carmel was really excited to have made it up Madison, as she's currently working on the 43 five thousand footers list. We had to tell her that just getting to the hut didn't count. Silly goose!

Back down at the hut, we ate some lunch, and one of us had their first expereince wiping with snow after an emergency "number two". After our break we headed up to Adams. The views were spectacular, and we stopped often to take them in.

Up on Adams the winds were pretty strong, so we hurried down to Thunderstorm Junction to decide on a route down. On Adams (4 or 5?) we could see a group of guys sledding. We opted not to moon them. Earlier a small plane made several passes overhead, we had decided not to moon them either. We figured they were flying over the 43.

We continued down Lowes path, getting some nice views of Jefferson and the Castle Ridge, before descending below treeline. The trail was steep and afforded lots of buttsliding and falling. There was also a lot of farting involved.

Back down in the parking lot we were all a little sun burnt, sore, and some of us were stinky. It was a fantastic day, with fantastic company and conversation. I think we set some kind of speed record, but for exactly what I'm not sure.

Thanks girls, for an awesome day!

some pics are here

Looks like you had the good views I had hoped for a couple days earlier on my snowshoe hike up Adams.
The caretaker I met was a big fan of sliding on the slopes up there...I had mentioned to him I had heard there was a certain a team of women coming to the mnts for practice.
Had you mooned him there would have been one mighty confused fellow up there....
Looked like a fun day !

Wow Lindsay...I'm still unpacking my car and you've already wriiten a trip report and posted pictures. :) :eek: :)

It sure was a beautiful day to be out and I was suprised at how few people we saw....probably better that way seeing we were just plain old silly all day long.

Thanks gals for all the laughs and a super fun day! :)

-MEB

I'm so GLAD that I didn't end up driving home yesterday. For all of you who don't know, I started the day without the intention of hiking. I was all packed up following the girls out of town so I could jump on the highway, when i started honking the horn and beeping for them to pull over. Needless to say, I had changed my mind and I decided i really couldn't bear being left behind! So, MEB hopped in my car and we drove to the trailhead!

Lindsay, pretty impressive with the pics and TR! I have to say I was laughing out loud in my office reading it! Sooooo funny!

You guys are more than welcome to join me for the rest of peaks I have to do on my NH-43 list! :) Maybe we can even break another unknown speed record again sometime! Oh yes, that would be so much fun!

Thanks everyone for the good time and all the laughs and the company! Lindsay summed up the day so well! I can't wait to hike with all of you guys again!

And to everyone else that we hiked with, let me know when your pics are all up!

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MEB
I'm jealous too! What an awesome trip with an awesome cast of characters! Isn't all-women hiking grand?? :)

Thanks for sharing the photos, just beautiful.

-katie

excellent TR, sleeping bear!!
what a marvelous hike! we couldn't have asked for better weather (it was maybe even a little too warm, though!! :eek: ). the clear skies were fabulous and being able to see for miles and miles and miles and miles, and the superior company (great to meet you sleeping bear and carmel!!!!) made for one magnificent day (did i use enough extraordinary adjectives??).

SB, great photos!

I'll work on mine after din-din and get them posted.

Yam, Nice photos! I really like the self portrait group shot. :D

What a blast. I think I've gotten equal enjoyment writing the TR, and reading the replies. I keep laughing like a lunatic. Andy says he's really glad he didn't come yesterday. The conversation might have been a little tamer had there been a guy in the midst... of course that didn't stop a certain someone from letting a stinky one rip. :D

Carmel, if you climb a peak that's... say... 5,689 feet, and you turn around 400 feet below the summit, does it still count? How abou if you climb two little ones in one hike, that combined are over 5,000?

sleeping bear said:
Carmel, if you climb a peak that's... say... 5,689 feet, and you turn around 400 feet below the summit, does it still count? How abou if you climb two little ones in one hike, that combined are over 5,000?

Depends on the day. If it rains, sleets, snows, or if it is windy it does count. If it is sunny and warm, then it doesn't count, unless its a monday or a thursday.

If you climb two little ones in one hike,then OF COURSE it counts dum-dum :) EVERYONE knows THAT! ;)

Girls just wanna have fun!!!!

I wish I were there with you. Sounds like you
had a party. Go girls....nice pics & TR.

By the looks of the pics you "girls" had an awesome time!!!
Great pics and TR! Did I see that someone had shorts on in one of the pics? Was it that warm?
kmac

sleeping bear said:
Carmel was soon down to shorts, the only smart one in the group.

i get really hot when i'm hiking, below tree line, it was definitely warm enough for shorts. however, my rule of thumb for hiking/running is, if its over 25 degrees, i'll be in shorts and a t-shirt...