Blue Job Mountain: 08-02-2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
" it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty."
— Everett Ruess

We've been exploring hikes in our backyard recently. The thunderstorm / hailstorm came through Nottingham quickly and left some cool weather in its wake (65°F). I thought it be a good time to swing up to Blue Job Mountain in Strafford NH and catch the sunset and enjoy the weather.

It's an easy hike but one that allows you to forget about any challenges in hiking and enjoy what's around you. The area around the mountain's north peak is periodically burned over for wildlife purposes. It is a great location for blueberry picking (locals know the place). Blueberries still looked in good supply. So a short 15-25 minute hike gets you out in the open to great views to the west and north. You can see from Mt. Monadnock to Mount Washington and the distinctive Carter Notch and then around to Portsmouth and the seacoast.

We made it up to the north peak just in time for sunset. It was clear to the east, south, and west. The clouds to the north still showed signs of storm.

We spent some time up on the north peak and took a bunch of pictures. This mountain is such an easy hike but gives big rewards on the right days. Such great views of the White Mountains. We made our way back in semi-darkness. Quiet woods with occasional sounds of civilization / farms in the distance. Whip-poor-will, eastern towhee, and thrush sounds guided us back to our car.

This mountain is hardly wilderness but if you catch it right it's all peacefulness and beauty.

Sunset:

A look back to the fire tower and the reflection of sunset in its windows:

Me & my dog:

The effort to reward ratio for Blue Job is extremely high. It's easily the best view south of the whites. The acres of blueberry fields is really overkill for the amount of awesome that is already there. :D

" it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty."
— Everett Ruess

Sunset:

A look back to the fire tower and the reflection of sunset in its windows:

Me & my dog:

Fantastic pics!

One of my favorite hikes in this area. I don't get over there enough these days! Great pics!

Karl