Blueberry Hike with the little one...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without traveling too far...Blue Job in farmington, nh is famous for them!!!

Blueberry ripeness -- YMMV...

I would say the blueberries are still a week or two away, and maybe more, in the Southern Whites, at least from what I have seen last weekend and today... in Waterville Valley (between 1500 and 3500 feet), the berries are still small and green. Today on Noon Peak, I noticed that they were just starting to acquire the first tinge of blue.

While there were still plenty of buds and green berries, last week there were also plenty of ripe ones on Foss Mountain. Located a few minutes east of 153 (not far at all from King Pine as the bird flies), about a half mile hike up to the awesome summit area. The upper fields are open to free, non commericial, non rake picking this season (lower fields are off limits).

One of the views:

fossmtnsummit-2008-0710a.jpg

Trip report & map (this isn't currently in the White Mountain Guide, but it is on Town of Eaton property).

Blueberries

Hey, I am ready to give away a well kept secret about blueberry picking in Southern NH and Mass.
Mt. Watatic in Ashburnham (MA), off RT 119 at the very southern end of the Wapack Trail is brimming with low bush blueberries. I go every July, usually the last week. If you check out the friends of the Wapack site, they also tell you other spots along the 22 mile trail, but believe me -you will find blueberries and some raspberries on Watatic and the other southern peaks along the ridge trail. Another less popular spot-but with unbelievable abundance of berries (I went last year with the kids) is Gap Mt. located in Troy. You can also get there by following RT 119 west toward Rindge , then to RT 12 and take Gap Mt Road. The mountain is part of a conservation area owned by NH Forest Society. Parking and usage is free-but, you can give them a donation!
This small mountain affords an easy hike to an open summit and affords great views to Monadnock. Have fun!!If you want, I can even tell you about a spooky, supposedly haunted cemetary nearby....Ooooowwww
www.wapack.org

I will strongly second Rocket21's suggestion of Foss Mtn. It's a great mountain, but you park within sight of the open, ledgy summit.

Rocket21, that's a beautiful picture!

happy trails :)

Pitcher Mountain has vast tracts of Blueberries!

Sounds like Eaton NH is closer to Haverhill than Stoddard NH, but others looking for good pickings for buleberries might like to know, Pitcher Mountain in Stoddard NH has vast tracts of Blueberries and splendid mountain views to boot! There are vast blueberry fields around the summit of Pitcher Mountain. There's also more extensive fields accessible by dirt roads nearby. I think the Sunnapee Greenway trail passes through the area. Pitcher Mt has maybe 1/2 mile hike with maybe 400' elevation gain. It should be ok for your 2.5 year old. Hike is short enough you can always do the daddy carry for part of it. Fields are pretty rustic and brush can be pretty dense so you'll have to supervise little children. Up side is you should be able come away with quarts of berries in no time. The other fields down the dirt road are owned by some sort of non-profit conservation land and signs request donations to be left in un-manned box at the trail head. These fields have pretty good views too although not as nice as those from Pitcher Mt.

Here's a link to a an online essay about Pitcher Mt. http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/travel-PitcherMountain.html

I'd be interested in hearing reports on the state of the blueberry crop in different areas.

I was up Gap Mt (Troy, NH) this past Friday. Very good picking with awesome views. My daughters have hiked it when they were 2.5-3 yrs old.

Last edited:
Blueberries

Yes, I took the kids to Watatic over the weekend and the beryy picking was very good. Remember , these are the wild blueberries, so they don't grow large in size, like their cousins on the "Pick your own" farms. But, these berries are just as delicious, and they are free. The hike to Watatic is easy for kids , under 2 miles. Yesterday BB pancakes. Today-BB scones. We filled about a quart-they are plentiful!

Defintely not a hike for little ones but, the summits around Grafton Notch are loaded and ripe. I found four distinct varieties of "berries" (I will leave it up to the experts to name) growing on Andover White Cap. The standard blueberry (light blue and the "silver" variety), Black "blueberries" (the size of a standard blueberry) , Shiny black "blueberries" and alpine blue berries (usually only found on high exposed summits and very tart).

As noted to Nilsa and Tjay, to have a gourmet blend, you need some of all four when you gulp them down!

Kids and berries...

Took the kids for a trail ride on Saturday, complete with stop by a clearing thick with wild red raspberries. Nathan, who just turned 11, isn't a big fan of fruits or vegetables, cautiously plucked a couple of berries and had me rinse them off from my hydration pack. He nibbled one with trepidation, chewed carefully, and smiled a tentative smile. Emboldened, he popped the second one and said, "Whoa! That's sweet! Yum! That's the best raspberry I've ever had!"

DrewKnight said:
Took the kids for a trail ride on Saturday, complete with stop by a clearing thick with wild red raspberries. Nathan, who just turned 11, isn't a big fan of fruits or vegetables, cautiously plucked a couple of berries and had me rinse them off from my hydration pack. He nibbled one with trepidation, chewed carefully, and smiled a tentative smile. Emboldened, he popped the second one and said, "Whoa! That's sweet! Yum! That's the best raspberry I've ever had!"

DrewKnight, if you gave us the location of the raspberries would you have to shoot us!!

There are a LOT of berries...

So I don't mind sharing. Livermore Road, top of second long grade, above the Kettles Path. Bring your long pants... the entire field left of the trail is all red raspberries. Oddly enough, I remember seeing a lot of blackberries over the years, but I don't think I have see red raspberries before. I wonder if these were cultivated once, and have since gone wild?

Its been a very good blueberry year, I found a small bald on the top of Shaker Ridge in Enfield, NH that is absolutely full of blueberries. They are low bush, but large. Its a nice way to incorporate a hike with a female. -Mattl

DrewKnight said:
So I don't mind sharing. Livermore Road, top of second long grade, above the Kettles Path. Bring your long pants... the entire field left of the trail is all red raspberries. Oddly enough, I remember seeing a lot of blackberries over the years, but I don't think I have see red raspberries before. I wonder if these were cultivated once, and have since gone wild?

Thanks for the info !!

Heading to the in-laws (Berlin) this weekend. I wanted to take my 3-year old on a hike with some berries. Any updated Berry Conditions?

Ideally, somewhere off Rte. 3, 115, or 2 would be best.

I would say at 1500 feet in the southern Whites, things are pretty well past peak. You might find a few late raspberries or blueberries in shadier spots. Good luck!

My observation is that the berries are just starting to whizzle right now, but what you can find in the shade is pretty good.