Bondcliff camping sites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyfeet

Reaction score
Are there any good spots off of the southern end of Bondcliff to stay? I am thinking of taking my son, 7 y/o, on a 4 day loop from Lincoln woods over the Bonds and down Franconia Brook Tr. Lincoln Woods to the lower end of Bondcliff would be a good distance for the first day after driving up from CT.

We were just there a week ago and I have camped on the Bondcliff trail before. Some of the best spots I found were just out of sight of the trail on the right-hand side less than a mile on the right. This is a "legal" camping site and there are some flat spots. Have fun :)

Happyfeet said:
Are there any good spots off of the southern end of Bondcliff to stay? I am thinking of taking my son, 7 y/o, on a 4 day loop from Lincoln woods over the Bonds and down Franconia Brook Tr. Lincoln Woods to the lower end of Bondcliff would be a good distance for the first day after driving up from CT.
Check the guide book or Steve Smith's book on the 4000'ers for better details... but, the bondcliff trail was relocated during the 80's to eliminate 4 crossings of Black Brook (name?). There is a confusing turn at one of these phantom crossings... it looks like you cross the stream (originally you did) but in reality, I believe you now take a hard left. If you cross the stream and follow the original trail, I believe you can find an old logging camp and it's legal to stay in.

-Dr. Wu

I believe you now take a hard left

That's true, there are a pile of sticks to keep you on the current trail. I did notice several guys crossing the brook there and wondered where they were heading. Looked to be a pretty obvious trail. Good information!

When you start on the Bondcliff trail, it follows a relo away from the water. Eventually it comes back to the stream and turns hard left, following the stream uphill. Just across the stream is a "No Camping" sign. Cross there, go 200' beyond the sign and you'll find some legal spots. Rangers have directed me to that spots so it's definately legal. That's still over 5 miles in from the road but it's a pretty easy 5 miles.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Just across the stream is a "No Camping" sign. Cross there, go 200' beyond the sign and you'll find some legal spots...
-dave-

We camped at this spot last fall. There were two or three nice flat areas to choose from. We enjoyed a nice dinner on the little hillside overlooking the brook. Great spot.

great trip

Came back last night a 4 day trip over the Bonds, S. Twin, and 13 falls. Thanks for the info, the site at the start of Bondcliff was just right distance for my 7 y/o son.

Sorry no pics. Not yet into the modern age of digital and I ran out of film (well unused film, lol) on Bondcliff.