Books On The 46 Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highonlife

Reaction score
I am pursuing the 46 Peaks and would like to know more about the mountains..ie the history, some background, photos of the peaks, etc...is there such a book..I have some but not happy with the content, they are more of the hiking aspect then the history..any input I would really appreciate. Thank you

Exploring the 46 Adirondack High peaks
By James R. Burnside
He kept a journal frome hiking with his sons. once in the late sixties/early seventy's and again in the early eighty's. I would'nt imagine the topography has changed too much.
His also gives lots of history of the area.

Some of these books are out of print, but worth looking for:
  • Of the Summits, of the Forests, Adirondack 46ers, history, chapters covering each peak, historic photos of some mountains
  • Women With Altitude, edited by Carol White, discussed in this thread this thread.
  • Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks, guidebook, B&W photos
  • Peaks and People of the Adirondacks, Russell M. L. Carson, history, chapters covering each peak, no photos
  • A Bushwhacker's View of the Adirondacks, John E. Winkler, photos of some peaks

Some glossy photography books with short text. Photos of some but not all of the 46 mountains. They also include general scenery:
  • Adirondack High, Hardie Truesdale
  • Adirondacks, Views of American Wilderness, Carl E. Heilman II
  • Adirondack: Wilderness, Nathan Farb
  • The Adirondacks, Nathan Farb

For photos and trip reports/guides there are many good websites, such as:

Last edited:
In addition to Steve-O and Mark's excellent suggestions, this link may be of interest:
http://www.catskill.net/purple/catalog3.htm#adk
Click on the Adirondacks link to quickly get down to that section of the page. Purple Mountain is a fine little press for books on NY State mountains, history, etc. You can scroll up and down to check out their catalog. You might like "The High Peaks of Essex" or perhaps the book about the Colvin survey.

Matt

Last edited:
Forest & Crag is the definitive history of the northeast mountains, including ADK's & Catskills. I would think it would be tough to read cover to ocver but easy to skim to the parts you want.

Stev-o said:
Exploring the 46 Adirondack High peaks
By James R. Burnside
He kept a journal frome hiking with his sons. once in the late sixties/early seventy's and again in the early eighty's. I would'nt imagine the topography has changed too much.
His also gives lots of history of the area.
Yes, I agree. A very good book indeed!! Very informative with alot of good stories.

Here's another endorsement for Burnside's book. Informative and enjoyable to read.

Also, Russell M.L. Carson's book, Peaks and People of the Adirondacks, is a classic. My copy is a 1973 reprint of it published by the Adirondack Mountain Club.

G.

Thank you

Just want to thank you for all the inputs...websites...books...etc...

I am checking them all out now and looking forward to reading some of them...

Thanks again.. :)