Boots for winter hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll toss our $.02 in. Geri used to work at Salomon and has an earlier version of their Winter boots and loves them. I have a pair of Columbia winter boots (Titanium ??) and like wise feel very warm in them. We have used them barebooting, with snow shoes and strap on crampons. We do not do any overnight trips (yet), but do long day hikes and see no need to go to plastic boots.

I dunno, im following this pretty closely becuase i kind of want the koflach degres. However, i can say that i have done just fine with split-grain day hikers :eek: above treeline in the winter, and the only problem was the next morning they froze, even in my bag. Also, i would get cold sometimes. But my new full grains have proven to be excellent in terms of being more supportive all around, even with my strap on crampons. I also solved my cold feet problem with down booties, right up there on my list of best purchases ever.

if you looking for a good pair of reasonable priced double boots go for the koflach degre's. they hike great, they're warm, they climb well, and last years models are on sale everywhere because they made some changes to them this year. i've worn mine for days on end with heavy loads and never even gotten a blister.

the inner boots of the degre's are open cell foam so they're not crazy warm like the expe's or scarpa inverso. but this is easily fixed with a pair of intuition denali inner boots. it that isn't warm enough for you pick up a pair of 40below over boots and you can take them anywhere.

nonlegit, the best things about double's. when you're back at camp, take out the inner boot, slip the shells on over your down booties and they'll stay bone dry while your stomping around in the snow.

just my 2 cents.

deadpoint said:

nonlegit, the best things about double's. when you're back at camp, take out the inner boot, slip the shells on over your down booties and they'll stay bone dry while your stomping around in the snow.

Now there is a good idea...mmm

DEADPOINT, ANY THING YOU DONT LIKE ABOUT YOUR DEGREES??
I got a pair of 04 degrees. After reading the tread replys and knowing that my feet get cold sometimes, I went with the double boots. How do they do w/ crampons, snowshoes??

Degres: I love them. They are warm, comfortable, supportive ,and flexible enough to hike in all day. The hard shell makes them excellent for snowshoe and crampon use: once you have them snug, since the shell doesn't give, the snowshoes or crampons stay put. (BTW, I use MSR Denali Evo's, Sherpa Khumbu Climbers, and Grivel G-10's New classics)

Like that idea about down booties in the shell. Why didn't I think of that?

nonlegit: hope you can make it to the Winter Gathering - you'll have a blast! It was nice running into you on Moosilauke!

I think I am the only one who has had a negative experience with my Degrees. Perhaps it's a circulation problem, but my Lowa's (summer boots) are warmer than my Koflach's. The Koflach's do look meaner, though. Weigh 2x as much too!

I have plastic boots now. I used to ice climb, bought a pair of Scarpas for that, and ended up using them for hiking as well. But before that, for several years, I got by just fine with Sorrels. I never used crampons with them, but in all truth I never really needed crampons for hiking. For 95% of the stuff I do I get along pretty well with just snowshoes. The first time I summited Washington in the winter was with Sorrels and snowshoes. And I spent many nights camping with them; I actually think they are warmer than my Scarpas. I haven't tried any of the newer winter boots out there, but I am sure they'll work fine for hiking in New England. My sorrels finally died 2 years ago and I am looking for replacements now.

I also swear by vapor barrier sock liners as well. I have a pair that I bought from Stevenson about 10 years ago and they are still going strong.

my only complaint is that the rubber rand around the toe started to peel. this was easily fixed with a little epoxy and hasn't been a problem since.

they are a little snug in my atlas shoeshoes but thats because the snowshoes are small.

i've used black diamond bionic crampons for climbing waterfall ice and they where solid. for mountaineering i have a pair of 12 point cassin carmpons, they fit the boots ok until i made some modifications to the toe. the front posts weren't getting enough contact with the boot and the crampon would start to slide off so cut out a small section for the front post set in. no more sliding off, even on moderate ice climbs.

2 more cents for you

Sir E-

I am a typical woman and have quite the shoe fetish. Unfortunately PEAK_BGR won't redo my closet so I can buy more (But that's okay I've just started stashing them under the bed and in my daughter's room.)

I have a tendency to be picky about shoes and pretty demanding when it comes to quality , comfort and dependability. I love absolutely and totally my winter Merrels. They are the perfect weight and they are waterproof. We did a 3day/2nighter when I completed my 46 last year and I wore these. We had snow, ice and worst of all slush. Any moisture that got into the boot wicked away nicely (We walked in the water going up Redfield!).

Before that trip I had never worn them I splurged for my finish. Not a sore spot or blister. I was impressed. Best part- they weren't alot. Check out SIERRA TRADING COMPANY.

I can't find a name any where on the boot. The inside tag says something like ICE RIDER?

Don't know if I've been of any help.

M

I use lightweight hikers in good weather, and shift to Limmers as it gets colder and the snow arrives. When its REALLY cold, I'm in Sorels with vibram soles. I keep thinking about "upgrading" my winter boots, and never seem to get around to ditching the Sorels. Yep, they can be loose, but with enough socks material, and proper fit, they can be made to work well.

Sorels with vibrams offer plenty of external support for flexible crampons. I've used them with crampons for 25 years of winter trips and never had a failure.
The Sorels work very well for winter overnights. Wear them around camp until its time to hit the tent. If its REALLY cold, they come into the sleeping bag. If its just cold, I lay them flat, with the tops touching and the soles pointing outward and use this as a cradle for my sleeping bag hood. Nice cradle for your neck and head and the warmth keeps them warm and flexible the next morning.
As I mentioned, I keep looking for a better alternative, but the combination of cost, extreme warmth and the fact that my crampons fit them keeps me wearing the Sorels.

Last edited:
hiatis:

"I am a typical woman and have quite the shoe fetish" FINALLY! someone like myself! i think i know which merrells you are talking about, they do have a model i believe called the ice rider or something close. i bought the merrell winterra's and SWEAR by them for winter hikes and snowshoe boots. i have to use a universal type crampon with them but no biggie and they are incredibly warm! and, they have all the best features you'd want in a boot, vibram sole, waterproof, insulated etc. also for really warm winter boots and price savings i would, and i've said this before, check out cabela's boots. they have boots insulated to wayyyyy below zero and for the winter, i feel the warmth factor is number 1 since you'll be on snowshoes or crampons a lot, features like a vibram sole aren't as important; however i think the cabela boots do have them also. and, i just can't see paying for plastics, they are so stiff and heavy (altho i know new ones are much better). sierra did have some plastic boots on sale tho and may still have them if that's what someone really wants. here's a couple specials i've seen recently on sierra trading post: salomon pro ice ($80 / reg $300), Kamik: various winter boots on sale from $50-65), Lasportiva Lhotse ($250/ reg $325), Millet Snow ($200/ reg $650:for the real mountaineer in you! :eek: ) and Asolo plastics ($200/ reg $350) just in case.....

I just bought a pair of Sorels rated for -40 from Sierra for $50 with free shipping.

I have a lot of shoes and boots in my closet too.... does that mean I have a shoe fetish and therefore am a typical women as well? :eek:

Dear bobmak:

"I have a lot of shoes and boots in my closet too.... does that mean I have a shoe fetish and therefore am a typical women as well? "

welcome to the club toots!
now about that silk underwear you love so much..... :eek:

shadowcat said:
welcome to the club toots!
Wow!!! I am a member of the club of typical women with shoe fetishes!!!! Can I use my membership to get a discount at EMS on Club Day???

shadowcat said:
now about that silk underwear you love so much.....
Silk? And all this time I thought it was polypropylene with a fringed edge! Go figure!

Bobmak - here's the latest on "club day" at EMS

Hi:
Thank you for contacting Eastern Mountain Sports to ask this fall's Club Day. Although we are discontinuing Club Day proper, we will be holding an "Upgrade Your Technology" sale from 23-24 October; for this sale, all in-stock items are 20 percent off. You may want to consider signing up for our email newsletter if you haven't already done so to get news of this sale.

Still sounds like club day though... :confused: :confused: