Boots...I need a new pair!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. I currently have the Limmers and I like them a lot but they need to go to the shop to be repaired which will take quite a while. I'm looking for something that will give my ankle more support and that comes up higher so as to keep it from twisting.

Anyone else out their with chronic ankle twisting who has found a boot that keeps it where it should be???

thanks

-MEB

Montrial Torre GTX is a great super comfortable supportive three season suede leather boot. Sale price is usually about $120. LL Bean Cresta is another great three season boot, part fabric, maybe a little cooler in summer.

might be what's inside rather than outside...

My wife has had chronic ankle twisting problems forever, and boot changes haven't done too much, other than the fact that full leather boots (like your Limmers) seem to help. Her podiatrist looked at her feet and prescribed orthotics, plus a lift on one side (turns out one of her legs is 2 cm longer than the other!), and her ankle twisting is much, much better. Plus, she's taller. ;) Pretty expensive though!!!! Of course, YMMV. Good luck.
Weatherman

Vasque

I love my Vasque Sundowner. They are all leather and great support. I use to have problems with my ankles giving out but not with these boots. The only problem I have had is it took forever to break them in.....otherwise a great boot!

Hey everyone...thanks for the suggestions so far....Giggy, I really like the boots you are recomending :D :D

I went to EMS on my lunch break and the sales person suggested the EMS Arete boot....anyone have this boot and do you like it???

-MEB

Hey MEB -

Careful with the Montrail Torre - I tried them two years ago and the special anatomical footbed design made my knees hurt, which is almost never a problem for me...but others love them. I ended up with a pair of Vasque Sundowners for non-winter use and love them - very supportive but comfy (and they come in EE width which makes my wide doggies happy).

Good luck!

MEB,
IVe had alot of ankle problems in the past and have beenwearing Lasportive Makalues, these really helped my ankles but man are they heavy. This year Im back in a boot I owned years ago, the Merril "wilderness". This si one of the finest boots you can buy imo. They are hard to find though. I bough mine from the hardware store on main street in Gorham, they have them on display as well but carry hardly any stock, they order for you with no money up front. I belive they are on merrils websites as well, these are old school norweigen(sp)welt boots that ahve one piece uppers sewn in the back, while they are light they offer great full ankle support, trust me these boots smoke 99% of what you see in EMS type places.

MEB, can't go wrong with those home-town boots! ;)

I've liked every pair I've bought there.

Time to dance with a different partner?

Hey,

It seems a lot of the premier candidates are still trying to do what the Limmers do. Is it maybe just time to consider breaking in the next pair of what's already working for you? Or is it time to see if there are greener pastures? Sierra makes a compelling argument, sounds very convincing, but then it occured to me that he's (she's?) essentially recommending a nearly identical boot.

I lucked out on my eBay Limmers and am saving up for a pair of their walking shoes.

By the way, I just got measured for new orthotics (after TEN years on a $250 pair!). Although expensive at the purchase (up to $380, now), they and Vioxx made hiking possible for me again. Maybe that would help. Now, if we could just get these NSAIDs figured out....

Good luck!

Last edited:
MEB said:
Hey everyone...thanks for the suggestions so far....Giggy, I really like the boots you are recomending :D :D

I went to EMS on my lunch break and the sales person suggested the EMS Arete boot....anyone have this boot and do you like it???

-MEB

I bought a pair of these boots for winter hiking. Something to keep in mind is that the sole is completely ridged which makes them a little awkward to hike in until you get use to them. The first few hikes I did with them after about 8 to 10 miles I would experience severe pain on the ball of my foot near my little toes. The pain was enough that I had trouble walking for a few days after the hikes. The last hike I did with them (two weeks ago), I changed my lacing pattern and wore my regular summer hiking socks instead of my double layer of wool socks I wear in winter. I experienced absolutely no pain in the ball of my foot. I’m not sure if it’s the lace pattern or the change in socks.

Last edited:
I've got chronic foot/ankle problems. EMS Aretes are bombproof. Merrel Cascades too. They are heavy and stiff, but they keep the foot totally pampered.

a 2nd for Merrell Wilderness

I agree with Sierra. For me, Merrell Wilderness are the only 3 season boots I have hiked in over the past 20 years, and the only ones that REALLY fit me. (I'm only on the 2nd pair, so I guess I really need to get hiking more, though I went through 3 sets of soles on the first pair). They are well-nigh impossible to find. Everybody who sees them thinks they're Limmers though.

But I have been lucky enough never to have ankle problems.

Weatherman

chaco!

Anyone tried Chaco's boots? I hear they're going out of the boot business and have sold their entire remaining stock to Sierra Trading Post. Online reviews have been excellent, so I've ordered a pair.

Hey MEB,

I've been in limmers for 5 years and faced the same problem you did. I had a pair of Standards that had to "go in the shop". I have problem ankles also so love my Standards. I picked up a pair of the lightweight's to tide me over and see how they worked being a fair amount lighter. Having had a hard time finding boots that worked i hated to start the search all over so i stuck with what worked.

While the lightweights are lighter, i only use them for dayhikes as they are not quite as supportive. Next time i'll just pick up another pair of standards.

The Merrels certainly look like a nice stout boot though!!

Good luck in your search.

Gris said:
Montrial Torre GTX is a great super comfortable supportive three season suede leather boot. Sale price is usually about $120. LL Bean Cresta is another great three season boot, part fabric, maybe a little cooler in summer.

Ditto!!! They break in quick and are quite comfortable, at least for me. :D :) :D