Boundary Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I jumped in my car at 3:30 am and drove to Corburn Gore, Me. I went accross the border without issue.

I followed the directions from Ridgerunner and Papa Bear to ZEC Louis Gosford and to the gravel pit. I reached the gravel pit at 10 am. Their directions are very good. Here they are:

Cross the border on Rt 27.

Turn left in Woburn on Rt 212 for 2 miles

Louk for Louis Gosford sing (yellow) on left

Turn left and go 3,8 miles to Park Gate house on left

$5 fee at gate house

reset odometer to 0

.7 miles to stop sign---go straight through

3.8 miles Mont Gosford trailhead on left

5.3 miles take left fork--right has a gate

6.5 miles intersection---go right

8.3 miles park in gravel pit

the trail goes off the end of the pit on the right

The trail immediately splits. Go right and cross the brook. The trail is an ATV (or Canadian VTV) trail and is quite steep with loose rock. I reached the "flat" area in 15 minutes and the boundary swath in 30 minutes.

Turn left on the swath. Boundary Peak is 1.1 miles from this point. It is a rollercoster walk. I reached the peak in 1 hr from the car. I was hiking solo so I had nobody to pass to on the give-and-go so I just kept moving. I made the return trip in the same time.

It was hot and humid so my skin started to leak profusely as I started up the first pitch. Always interesting to hike solo.

The US Customs were a bit of a pain-in-the-ass, but they are on our side so I can "live" with their approach.

Here is the Bigfoot at the peak.

Hey Bigfoot!

Nice job on Boundary! Definitely one of my favorites.

Nice to make my first Bigfoot sighting this weekend. :cool: Very enjoyable. Hope it happens again really soon. Good luck on finishing the 100. :)

Best regards,
Marty

I enjoyed the hike with you and meeting you. I understand you found the tape for Whitecap.

Yup, that's the way. Don't make it so easy for everyone! ;) I hope to go back sometime and do more exploring in ZEC Louis Gosford, it looked like such a beautiful area! And of course, don't do this one (or really any route to Boundary) in the fall in hunting season.

They were doing major clearing in the gravel pit when we were there, it looked almost like they were starting a new road up on the left. Any evidence of that when you were there?

There was not much activity at the pit. The road getting there showed very little sign of being used very much.

Ha! I remember thinking "this hike really sucks" on the first attempt (from Whitecap)...the walk in from the Canada side was a breeze!

Congrats, Bigfoot!!!!!! I think yours is maybe only the second TR from Boundary that I've read since we were there over a year ago!

Ha! I remember thinking "this hike really sucks" on the first attempt (from Whitecap)...the walk in from the Canada side was a breeze!

I'm pretty proud to have done that whole 'whack and gotten all the way to where that trail comes into the swath on the first try, and glad that the return was easy, picking up where we left off. :)

If you guys keep talking about Boundary in such a great way, I might have to squeeze it in at the fall gathering. It's on my way home!
Well done!

I also went in from Cupsuptic Pond, and I think I took the 'Canadian Bootleg'. I know that we crossed into Canada (hoping that no one would find out) and traveled by an old logging road that shows on the topo map for that area. It eventually took us to the boundary swath for the last mile of the hike. Lots of deer stands and salt licks along the way. Definitely smart to avoid that area during hunting season.