Break-in Alert... **

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Just a note that my car, and a friends car were smashed across the street from nineteen mile brook last night.

From what I've heard from the state police, and a forest service employee...it's not been very common at all this winter...so just lucky I guess.

Wierd what was taken...from my car, an ipod charger, and cd's (who takes cd's anymore) from the back seat, and after rummaging through my glove box, a hard drive that I upload photos on while on the road. Not taken was a lot of outdoor gear sitting in the back.

From my friends car, unfortunately a bag with an ipod and cell phone...which they thought were hidden. But again, two other ipods and lots of outdoor gear not taken...

Just a heads up...

Jim --

That's a shame and I'm very sorry to hear that that happened to you.

While I typically prepare as much as I can for possible break-ins while parking at 19-Mile Brook, Appalachia, and Rocky Branch, each time I return to those trailheads from a hike I cross my fingers in the hopes that someone hasn't broken into my car and smashed a window, etc. with the goal of taking some loose change or something like that.

From my experience over the past few years, break-ins at these trailheads happen frequently enough to be on guard constantly.

(Did you report the break-in to the local police?)

Last edited:
Thanks...I thought I was diligent as well, but well, here we are. Just want to put people on extra alert!

We did make the trip over to the state police barracks in Twin Mountain. They were very nice, helpful, and realistic...

Pat and I climbed Carter Dome on Saturday and were parked in the lot till 4 pm. Two thirds of the lot was still full. Those %&**# sneaks of course waited till dark. Sorry to hear...it happened to us once years ago...the Twin Mountain police blamed it on out-of-staters. :rolleyes:

This is why, when I go to do trailwork, even though our trail starts from the Glen Boulder lot I ALWAYS park at PNVC and walk the road to the GB lot and cross the river. (Yes it may seem simpler to do Lost Pond trail, but it is actually quicker to do the road walk, and I and co-adopter Jim have had bad experiences on Lost Pond so we prefer the roadwalk) The cars are safer at Pinkham, and that lot has a reputation.

Brian

Spent a lot of time on the phone with an enforcement officer with the forest service today. He was very motivated to gather information, visit the scene and start tracking this down. He said it hasn't been going on much this year, and he doesn't want to see it start up again! That was one phonecall that certainly made me feel good!

As I was getting ready to hike up Valley Way this morning a Forest Service Ranger stopped and let us know that there have been breakins at 19 Mile Brook trailhead and at Rocky Branch. Was making sure we knew not to leave wallets, gps units, phones etc under the seat, in the glove box, etc..

When I mentioned I had heard that he corrected guessed that it was posted on VFTT and was going to be checking the posting.

Nice to meet you this morning sir! We appreciate all the work you and others do in the Whites so we can enjoy our time off up here!

Nothing related to the breakins in the WMNF but this year in Atlanta people would break into a car at the begginning of a football games and steel the GPS and garage door opener. They would then have the house to themselves to take what ever they wanted as the filled their car unseen in the victims garage. I guess it is not a good idea to program your home into the gps.

Nothing related to the breakins in the WMNF but this year in Atlanta people would break into a car at the begginning of a football games and steel the GPS and garage door opener. They would then have the house to themselves to take what ever they wanted as the filled their car unseen in the victims garage. I guess it is not a good idea to program your home into the gps.
It is often pretty easy to locate a GPS owner's home because many of the tracks will lead there.

Doug

Its even easier when you directly enter your home address (and phone number for the bluetooth capable models) with the touchscreen, without using any tracks. I don't know of any model that keeps a record of where you have been driving.

This (the GPS in the car) story went around last fall with some level of hysteria. It was quite overblown. For example, any car with Massachusetts plates must by law have the registration in it somewhere. The registration has the owner's home address. Combined with a crook's (or the car owner's) GPS or even paper map book, the same "go straight to your home" capability exists, and has for decades.

Last edited:
Its even easier when you directly enter your home address (and phone number for the bluetooth capable models) with the touchscreen, without using any tracks. I don't know of any model that keeps a record of where you have been driving.
Many of the cheaper automotive GPSes do not record a track, but some of the better ones do.

Doug

For example, any car with Massachusetts plates must by law have the registration in it somewhere. The registration has the owner's home address.
You're the lawyer, but I interpreted that to mean "while you are in it" so I keep the registration in my wallet (which may not be a good idea for other reasons).

This (the GPS in the car) story went around last fall with some level of hysteria. It was quite overblown. For example, any car with Massachusetts plates must by law have the registration in it somewhere. The registration has the owner's home address. Combined with a crook's (or the car owner's) GPS or even paper map book, the same "go straight to your home" capability exists, and has for decades.
Similarly, navigation-related accidents are often blamed on the GPS if there was a GPS in the car... (Carefully forgetting that there are errors on paper maps, humans often exhibit bad judgment or make mistakes, and navigation errors also occur without the use of GPSes.)

Doug

You're the lawyer, but I interpreted that to mean "while you are in it" so I keep the registration in my wallet (which may not be a good idea for other reasons).

I'm not a lawyer, but while true that I don't think the registration has to be in the car while it's parked, it certainly has to be in there if anyone is driving it, and if you carry it around on your person, it's a royal pain if you lose it.

You're the only person I know who doesn't leave their registration in the car.

Now you know two ;). I have always carried my registration in my wallet and try not to leave ID on the car that indicates where my address is. If a LEO wants to figure out whose car it is, the VIN number gets him to it (as well as the registration status. Unless you get a rookie or have an attitude, very rarely will an officer write a ticket for a lost registration. Back in the pre technology days, it was a issue as the police didnt have a reliable way of checking in but these days, they are going to run the ID no matter what (unless the police car is a smart car which autmonatically reads the license plate).

My assumption is that if I lose my registration in my wallet, I have lost my license and no matter what, I am going to get some level of hassle if I get pulled over.

Many years ago one of my late uncles lost his license for a time because of a moving violation ... when subsequently pulled over by a trooper, he explained, "Sorry officer, I lost it." He was sent on his way with a verbal warning. (Don't try this today with on board computers).

I don't always leave my registration in the car ... I'd rather let someone else explain why it's missing because chances are they took it without my knowledge. I do, however, leave any credit card which has been reported as possibly compromised, or which I reported as missing (and then found it), hidden, of course, with the devious hope that if worse comes to worse, someone may have some more 'splaining to do.

Many of the cheaper automotive GPSes do not record a track, but some of the better ones do.

Actually, its not a matter a price or "better". You can get high-quality expensive units with that take voice commands, receive traffic reports, re-route, and display points of interest that can be downloaded from the internet (for example speed traps or trailheads) . IMHO, being able to record tracks in an automotive unit has limited usefulness. Something that automatically records and summarizes trips seems much more useful if one uses a car for business purposes.

Just Keep the Car Unlocked?????

Does it make sense, to eliminate the damage to your car, to just leave the car unlocked? As my father used to say, "Car locks just keep honest people honest. The world is filled with universal car door keys...The're called rocks." :eek:

Live Free and Hike.....Walker

Does it make sense, to eliminate the damage to your car, to just leave the car unlocked?
My understanding is that you lose insurance protection, on the car and/or its contents, if you don't lock it. (IANAL, just "what I heard on the Internet.")