Breakneck Ridge - East Hudson Trails (NY)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, a friend suggested hiking Breakneck Ridge when I was able to get out again. I've read many TRs about it, and have been wanting to hike there for quite awhile. Well, I finally had the chance on Sunday, the 26th. Despite the very warm temps, there was a constant cool breeze coming off the river. A perfect hike for a hot spring day. Humidity was relatively low, so the views were pretty damn good too.

We did the short loop, as we only had a few hours. But I'm looking forward to getting back and also including Beacon and the firetower.

Now the only problem I have with digital cameras is that I take way too many pictures. I had over 150 on the card when I got home, ....... so I deleted the "rejects" and doubles down to 97. And then I deleted another 15 or so after uploading them.

Anyway, I apologize for so many shots of basically the same views. Unfortunately, a two-dimensional image never does justice to the spectacular panoramas.

- - Rob

PHOTOS

That section of the Hudson Highlands is a great area, I'm glad you finally got to Breakneck. You should definately do some more exploring. For example, making a big loop over Breakneck and Taurus, using the Yellow Blazed Underhill Trail as your approach to Breakneck -- its a neat trail and passes through some amazing mountain laurel stands on its way over from Taurus to Breakneck.

Hey Rob, thanks for the pix. When I was there, I recall a bunch of Army 'copters flying up and down the river. Was a very cool sight. This is a real nice hike..

Good to see you are getting out.

Edit- Agree with una dogger, Underhill is a nice approach....

Oh yeah, I forgot about the helicopters! I'm not sure if they were Army, tho. 2 of them flew over during a section where I really needed to see where I was grabbing onto, one of the very steep scramble sections. I looked up quickly, and saw them, but I have no idea what kind they were.

Eric, it's been awhile. Hope to hike with you again this year in NH. Finally trying to get back into a routine after dealing with 4 deaths in the family over the past 2 years, including Carla's Mom 2 years ago and her Dad a few weeks ago.

We've been talking about staying at our friend's condo in Lincoln again. I'll let you know when. I only have about 1/3 of the 48 done, now it's time to climb the rest. Hope you can join me on a few of them!

- - Rob

Those army helicopters are probably West Point. I know during the Army football games, they'll have flyovers and fly up and down the hudson all day!

Jay

Rob-

Hope this is the time things start to get better. Look forward to you guys getting up here and joining you on some hikes.