BTS Ride for Research 2006 - another great day!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
First off, big thanks to all the team riders and volunteers. I'm really psyched that you all joined me for the event. You all said you would be back next year and I hope so. You were a great bunch to ride with and hang out with for the day!

Next, big thanks to everyone one that sponsored us and donated to the Brain Tumor Society. The donations are still coming in and being added up. Right now we are at about $4100. With some late donations, I hope to make it to our original goal of $5,000. Please consider donating if you haven't already.

The ride started off with teejay crashing (sleeping, not actually crashing his bike) at my house the night before the ride. Carmel, teejay, and I had some semi-cooked shizmac sized burgers and then enjoyed watching another Red Sox win which featured the Sox pitcher, Josh Beckett, hitting a home run. Nice!

Sunday morning we headed up to the ride. Due to a some miscommunications we didn't get to meet Roxi before the ride. She knows her way around a bike, so no issue for her! She was down to business and off on the 50 miles. We met up with John Satterlee (who has done the ride almost as many times as me - you rock John!) and skiguy. John and skiguy were also going to do the 50 mile route and they were right down to business too.

John's daughter Emily volunteered to help at the ride again this year. Big kudos to her! Emily was joined by her friend Michelle and they were both all smiles.

We met up with DaveSunRa, who had also volunteered to help with the event. Dave was busy helping people register. He had a busy job, because the registration table he was working at was for a team that had well over 100 members. :eek: Now that is a goal for VFTT!!!

I had planned on doing the 50 mile route, but sadly enough I have had no time to train this year. I have been doing just a little bit of traveling for work this year. In the last 5 months I've flown on 32 flights. They don't allow me to set up the trainer in the aisle on the planes so I only got to ride 3 times before the event. So, I figured I would do the 25 mile route. It worked out because no one else on our team was doing the 25 mile route so I made sure Team VFTT was represented on all 3 routes. :) The group doing the 25 mile route lined up at the start and I was off on my ride.

Carmel had hurt her knee and so she elected to do the 10 mile route with teejay. She was really bummed out that she couldn't do a longer route because she knows from last year how nice the longer routes are. She was also bummed out because the injury has made her feel like she is "getting old". Now that is funny. teejay grabbed his bike, named "the beast" and they were off on their adventure.

You start the ride and before you know it, it is over. As Roxi said, "it was the fastest 50 miles I have ever ridden." And she has biked across the US, so that is saying something. Everyone was all smiles after the ride. We took some group shots - Roxi, teejay, Carmel, and I, and another one of Roxi, myself and teejay. And then we hit the food tents. :D :D :D Awesome food again this year. So many companies and restaurants donate free food to the event and it is all great. Grilled burgers and hot dogs, pulled pork sandwiches, bbq chicken, grilled chicken salad, shrimp cous cous, the list goes on and on. BTS puts on a first class event and they do it with VERY low overhead. Hats off to the BTS management team. They really know how it should be done and they should serve as a model for other charities.

Post food chats moved to the parking lot and teejay and skiguy got a new avatar. It was great seeing John and Emily, and teejay again. It was also great meeting Roxi, DaveSunRa, and skiguy. All of them were really nice and it was like we had all known each other from a past hiker gathering. Classic VFTT event!

Tom Rankin signed up as a virtual rider. So I'm guessing he rode his bike on the Devil's Path. :) Tom - tell your story and post pix if you have them. Hope your day went as well as ours.

Once again, big time thanks to the riders, volunteers, and everyone that donated!!!

- darren

I had a BLAST!

Darren, I can't thank you enough for organizing this! I had a BLAST!!! :) It was great meeting you, Carm, Teejay, and John and his daughter, Emily. I'm sorry I missed Ski Guy and DaveSunRa. :( I'm so glad Mother Nature provided us with PERFECT weather! The 50 mile course was GREAT!!! It was SO MUCH FUN taking off with the lead group, drafting behind various riders, and finishing 50 miles after only 2 hours and 45 minutes! I had a BLAST!!! The food after the ride was FANTASTIC! The salad with grilled chicken, angel hair pasta, fresh greens, and sesame dressing was delicious! Lots of fresh fruit, tasty burgers, various salads, drinks, gorp, and cookies...I was impressed! I can't wait to do this again next year!!!! Sign me up now! :D MANY THANKS to everyone who contributed! It all went to a very good cause and we all appreciate your donations very much! Looking forward to seeing all of you again and hopefully meeting more VFTT'ers. Did I mention how much FUN this was???? :D

Still coming to my senses!

This was one good time.I'll post more when I come to my senses. Thanx darren!

darren said:
Tom Rankin signed up as a virtual rider. So I'm guessing he rode his bike on the Devil's Path. :) Tom - tell your story and post pix if you have them. Hope your day went as well as ours.

Ummm, well, gee, I thought virtual rider meant I was only riding along in spirit! :D

FWIW, I was doing new trail construction Saturday and leading a hike Sunday.

Food, too??!!
Roxi, I'm really jealous now! That ride just had to be sweet. I had looked at the maps earlier and noted that the route went through Lexington and Concord --I've been up there and it's a wonderful place... added the great weather, no wonder you're coming off a high. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to get away from the busy spring!

Darren, good show on the 25! [coughWHIMPcough] Kidding :D ... I know what travel does to bike time -- been there. Keep it up, I have to get there! Carmel... you know that I don't have to say it... :( TeeJay! At-a-boy!! Did you train of go for the sore butt??

Emily, Michelle, Ski Guy and DaveSunRa... great sport being there and being part of the team! Ski-Guy, how was the ride?? How'd the 50 feel??

VFTT Members and Lurkers!
--as an already team backer and contributor, I offer this challange to anyone who has ever been on a bike before:
donate $5.00 ...only five or an additional five... to get the total up to $5,000 or better. Do it now, do it now!!
Do it because someone's life might depend on it someday ...and you may know that person!

Having run several fundraisers I look at it this way: what you donate now is ALL PROFIT to the bottom line!! Everything is paid for, the mailings are done, the food is cooked and the balloons are busted. It's all 100% profit that directly hits TBTS cause!

Thank you!

Everyone else pretty much summed it up for me! Great day! lots of fun! wish i could have ridden the 50 of course! but, its not about me is it?!
Thank you EVERYONE who donated for your support! I REALLY appreciate it! u all have good karma now!

darren said:
She was also bummed out because the injury has made her feel like she is "getting old". Now that is funny.

two things...
1) feeling old is NOT funny at all
and
2) i will NEVER be as old as Darren!

Thanks again!

Thanks Darren for organizing this and giving me the chance to ride with VFTT.

This ride was very meaningful for me this year.

I just can't get over how powerful it is to be part of this and to ride with a great group of people who all share this road of sadness and pain, yet because of each other we can share hope and joy.

Michelle, a volunteer pictured by Darren, is brain tumor survivor, she volunteered with Emily.

See everyone next year, if not sooner.

John

Just want to congratulate you and the team on another successful ride. I hope you make your goal of $5k!

Bob & Chica

Raymond said:
Darren, how do I make sure my donation gets credited to Team Views from the Top? I couldn't figure it out from the BTS Web site.

Or should I just mail a check to you?

here is a link that you can use to make a donation online.

choose a team member by clicking on their name, and go from there!

i prefer making all my payments online, but if you cannot for some reason, you can always still mail it to darren

Thanks!

Carmel said:
Everyone else pretty much summed it up for me! Great day! lots of fun! wish i could have ridden the 50 of course! but, its not about me is it?!
Thank you EVERYONE who donated for your support! I REALLY appreciate it! u all have good karma now!

two things...
1) feeling old is NOT funny at all
and
2) i will NEVER be as old as Darren!

Thanks again!

Glad it went well for everyone - wait a minute - you mean working for chairyt is not all about the person raising the money? :D :eek: :D :eek:

Way to go team VFTT!!!!
Hopefully next year I will not only donate, but
hope to participate in the actual event.
You all rock!! Let's all help Darren make it to $5K.

None of you can be as Old as Teejay, and it's not me saying this. Somewhere in the past, somebody compared TeeJay to dirt! :)

Nice report, the pictures seem to indicate a nice day. Sunday, we had spotty showers around noon in NJ and it was windy!

Darren: I remember seeing a Klein Mantra (mtb) at your house a few years ago, didn't know you rode a Bianchi road bike...

TeeJay: Nice Beast! How did those bike shorts work out for you, did you manage to find a zipper? :D :D :p ;)

I used to ride a Beast, really. I had a Proflex Beast which was more of a entry level downhill bike with Hydraulic Magura brakes and a beefy green frame. Proflex later became K2...

Jay

Jay,

dirt:teejay::eek:ld:eek:lder There ain't no comparison. No, I didn't find a zipper, didn't need one, never peed. But, in that one picture with Roxi, Carmel and Darren, it looks like what I really need is a girdle more than a zipper. Quite a gut for a skinny guy. (Edit: So that's what they mean by six-pack abs.)

"The Beast" performed magnificently.

The weather was absolutely perfect. Cool, sunny, no wind to speak of, broken or otherwise. Superlative!!!

teejay

Last edited:
Thanks Darren for promoting the fundraiser here otherwise I would not have known about it or had volunteered. Not only was it a beautiful day, it was a lot of fun with a crowd of people that had great energy. The best part was the feeling of helping.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet all the VFFT team. I had to get back home and help out for my daughters wedding shower.

Great Time Good Cause

skiguy said:
This was one good time.I'll post more when I come to my senses. Thanx darren!

Well I still have not come down from the HIGH of doing this event. Great to meet some more folks from the VFTT but even better to help out on this great event. Please keep donating as we are not far from the Team goal at this point.
Bubba the 50 miler felt great and I would definitely reccomend this route. Incredibly scenic and rural being so close to Beantown. Overall I will echo Darren's sentiments on this event: Well organized,Good food,Good ride and best of all everyone involved had awesome attitudes. I would highly reccomend to everyone to put this one on your Calandar for next year.