Bugs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
Is it me or are there a lot fewer annoying bugs this summer? I've camped twice and gone on various dayhikes this summer and have only had to use bug juice once. Am I just lucky or is something more sinister going on? Also, there seem to be a lot of frogs around this year...coincidence?

It's been a weird bug-summer...

At least in Waterville Valley area -- I would say that the mosquitoes have been much less malevolent than normal. The no-seeums were viscious in June and early July (which I don't remember from years past). The blackflies never materialized in large numbers in "blackfly season", but when I went for a mountain-bike ride on Saturday morning up through the in-town trail network (fairly damp terrain, and fairly heavy immature hardwood forest), we were completely befogged by hungry blackflies on a long slow climb. We had blackflies behind our glasses... blackflies our noses... big, healthy mouthsfull of blackflies with every single breath. We bailed early because we just couldn't take it anymore. If we were talking Memorial Day weekend, that would have seemed ugly but normal -- but we're talking August 5th!

Only recall seeing the average amount of skeeters and blackflies in our hikes this year. We did seem to have an overabundance of deerflies all over us while doing work on Osseo Trail in the Pemi. Close brook location may have had a bit to do with it.

I was doing trail work on upper Glenn Boulder Trail. I fed many black flies while I was up there.

This past weekend, the Wight Trail to Goose Eye was black fly infested. No surprise, the Sunday River area seems to have Blackies about ten months a year!

Bugs, flies, etc

We normally don't hike in late May and June because of the flies. We backpacked to Imp Shelter at the end of May and had a virtually bug free 3days/2 nights on the Carters and Moriah. In June we did Mount Flume, the Hancocks, the Osceolas and the Tripyramids. Unbelieveably, none of the trips was that annoying. Bugs were present, but not bothersome enough to bother with bugspray. On a couple of the trips, it had rained hard just before dawn. I think this had something to do with keeping them down, everything being wet and all. At the end of June I climbed Huntington Ravine and they were probably the worst there, still, no bug repellent. In past years I have run screaming from the woods when attempting to hike in June. In July we climbed the Twins and Galehead, still not bad. On 7/28 we climbed Washington by Boott Spur. It was hot and muggy and the bugs were bad below treeline. Above treeline there was nothing, then when we came down Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Hojo's, the blackflies at Hojo's were the worst we've had all year. Also, camping at Moosebrook that weekend, the bugs were terrible. Mostly No See-ums, with some blackflies added just for torture. I have noticed many toads along the trails this year, more than usual, but I doubt it has much to do with the amount of bugs out there, I think it has more to do with the weather. Last year's lack of snow didn't leave a lot of standing water in the woods this spring, so fewer breeding areas. It's also been pretty dry, at least in southern NH.
KDT

Last edited:
I think if you ask 10 hikers that question, you'll get 10 different answers. Personally, I'd say that July was about the worst month for bugs I've ever encountered. August has been somewhat better. Again, just my opinion.

I went to hike Green Mountain a few days back and pulled up to the trailhead only to discover my truck was being pounded by a cloud of deerflies - that was enough to make me bail on the hike!

bugs have been light this summer IMHO. The only real heavy bugs I've encountered were in the 'dacks in June. I see different densities of bugs in different areas (this I believe is key). Only a few times have I used bug spray and only a few times have I not but wished I had.