Bushwacking pack question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I love packs and have a wall of them to prove it.
I've been doing some tough bushwacking recently, often in thick stuff, and Dana, North Face and Osprey haven't been cutting it. Either due to strapped-on water bottle pockets catching things, lack of capacity or pocket space.
I'd like to get something to use just for these trips.

Does the following pack exist? About 2,000 cu inches, around 2 to 2.5 lbs, flat waterbottle or mesh side pockets, some good external pockets on the front of the pack, and made of tough material? I've checked out some nice packs, but either the bag or part of it is lightweight nylon that would get shredded in the thick stuff, the packs are too heavy, or it doesn't have pockets. My Dana is a great pack, but heavier than I want for summer bushwacking and doesn't have external pockets except its lid.

Thanks,

Peakbagr

I have several good bushwacking packs
1. 2000 cu in, ~2lb, cordura, top entry, no side pockets, a top pocket, compression straps, and a layer of closed cell foam against my back.
2. 4000 cu in, ~4lb, same as above plus a small front pocket and an internal frame.

Simple, rugged, nothing to catch on the bushes. Unfortunately no longer available. Most modern packs are too gimmicked up for my taste.

Sorry no pointers, just commiserations, (see thread on hardshells).

Doug

Maybe larger than you want but I love my EMS Summit TL with about 2800 - 3000 CI for weekend camping. I have an older version but it works great for bushwacks. I have also bought a 150 ci external carrier that hooks on the sides or better yet on the back. Not a lot of stuff on the outside of the pack to get hung up.

EMS Summit TL Rucksack

Almost forgot to tell you that is the pack in my avatar that I am loading up on my back.

Keith

Last edited:
Peakbagr,

Take a look at the MEC line: www.mec.ca

2000 cubic inches is 33 liters. You can't go wrong with the Brio Crag (at 30 l a little small, but bombproof and a ridiculous bargain at 39.00 CDN), or the Brio 40 Plus, at 40 l and 89.00 CDN.

I've been bushwacking for years with my Brio 25, and have yet to damage it. Also look at packs from Serratus (carried by MEC). I have an old Serratus Icefall (about 50 l) which I absolutely cannot kill, despite hauing it up and dropping it off cliffs.

TCD

Are you really sure you want mesh side pockets for water bottles?

I'm asking because after a few bushwhacks, one of mine got torn up by getting caught over and over.

It seems to me that you want something with a narrowest profile....

I was thinking tough, tight mesh, not the baggy stuff on some packs. I like mesh as a friend I hike with tucks his GPS in a mesh pocket. It keeps signal and is readily at hand.

The Gregory Reality series may have something for you- the mesh sides are a bit baggy and the fabric light but still strong, I think there's a model in you size range. I'd take it on an ADK bushwack.

Otherwise I'd look at the Arcteryx packs. The side pouches are nylon, not mesh so they are tough though they are on the baggy side. The packs tend to the heavy side, they'll likely be in the upper range of your weight requirements.

I dangle my water bottles in a holster on the belt and slide it out of the way if needed. I have not found the combination of packbag design and suspension that comes with worthwhile side pockets. Doesn't get in my way. I like built in side pockets I do find they tend to make you wider and you snag in the brush on them from time to time.

Tell us what you find.

I have an old EMS 2500 which is very simple (zipper opening) but indestructible. No outside water bottle pockets, but I use a camelback.

I also would think that the mesh pockets would be trouble in the thickets.

On longer bushwhacks where I bring enough stuff to stay out if necessary, I use a North Face MG45 which has super durable material. It is top-loading, 3000 cu in., but again, has no water bottle pockets. It does have a camelback sleeve.

spencer

Peakbagr,
I think the MEC Brio 30 liter (rougly 1800 cubes) would fit the bill perfectly. I've never gone wrong with MEC's home brand stuff and what prices! I have it's ancient predecessor (sp?) the Kletersack from 25 or so years ago and it's perfect for summer bushwhacking. The size is fine for summer but would be too small, for me, in winter. Do you prefer to carry water bottles or a bladder? I've been carrying my GPS clipped to my shoulder strap with good results so maybe you don't need those side pockets. (however, the side pockets are good for a camera if it can be reached without removing the pack)

In really thick stuff has anybody ever used a pack cover?

Neil,

My winter and non-bushwacking pack is a Dana Cloud Peak. Large, and extendable with a skirt. I/ve sewn-in 3 waterproof pockets inside, and carry waterbottles on attachable outside pockets. The problem is that the waterbottle pockets flap around when trying to squeeze between the thick stuff. I'd be content to leave them inside. Until recently, Dana's have always had a high weight to capacity ratio, and when wet, it gets heavy to carry.
Crawling around and over blowdown, I think a shoulder strap for the GPS might not be the best way for how I hike, but a possibility.
In even modestly thick going, I think a pack cover will either catch, or get shredded. It will also really slow you down every time you need to get inside of the pack for water, snacks, etc.
I'll take another look at the MEC.

Thanks,
PB

TCD said:
I've been bushwacking for years with my Brio 25, and have yet to damage it. Also look at packs from Serratus (carried by MEC). I have an old Serratus Icefall (about 50 l) which I absolutely cannot kill, despite hauing it up and dropping it off cliffs.

The brio's are pretty tough, I've been using a 70L for 5 years and the only damage is a crampon hole. The new brios have crampon pads sewn in. You'll want to snap the bungy cords off the back though.

Serratus was a sister company of MEC I believe, and it went out of business last year. Any Serratus stuff you find at MEC will be on clearance so you could find a bargain.

-Shayne

Lowe Alpine Vision 40

I have one of these that I bought for my brother and then he traded back to me in exchange for my REI 3600cu (Daystar?) pack which he wanted for some longer on-trail expeditions.

The best thing about this pack is that it can sit very narrow and tight to my back when I crank down the compression straps -- it's great for tight spaces or places where a bit wide/fat pack would upset your balance, when I have it cranked down I hardy feel like I have anything on. Newer models were supposed to have an internal hydration pocket, but I have an older one, so I just shove my camelback pouch in the bigger top pocket and it's been fine there. On top of it all, it feels fairly light (tho the specs I've found say 2400cu and 3lb 10oz). This pack has been on essentially all my bushwhacks (I had an EMS 2500cu pack I used a bit previously but mostly for on-trail stuff; the dog ate through it cuz I was dumb and tossed it down in the basement with Clif bars still in it; the Lowe is a class above that pack).

In the winter I've lashed my crampons to the top of the pack, bungeed snowshoes to the loops on the front (definitely risky if you're not wearing them and going through thick stuff, but generally when we do bring 'em we do use 'em), and shoved poles in the side pockets (which with the side compression straps are actually amazingly secure there).

A friend of mine has the junior model of this (the Vision 25) and also swears by it, though usually uses something bigger in the winter.

I use a MountainSmith fanny back, same as most of my day hikes. Lot less pack to snag onto branches though it has two mesh pockets and I hang a water bottle holster from the belt. They haven't been a problem through some fairly thick stuff.

Peakbagr

Have you ever considered a bladder? The nice thing is that it fits inside your pack, and only the tube hangs out, but that does not often catch on stuff. Also, there are a lot of packs without external pockets that fit bladders nicely, so this might be a good alternative for you. My friend picked up a BD pack that is tough as nails, and I think they make smaller ones that would suit your needs. The top panier of his pack has a nice pocket. Just a thought.

-percious

I've got the same pack as Spencer, bought circa 1994-5? I don't remember when. I've replaced the buckles a couple of times and one shoulder strap is starting to tear (for like the last 4 years...) It's great in the thick stuff, basically a rucksack with great lashing options. I like the compressibility too.
I don't think EMS still makes it, though. They've tended to get fancier. I just spent a while looking on www.ems.com for a comparable pack and can't find one. Hmmmmm...

Peakbagr,

You may want to look at the Cold Cold World Valdez pack. It's a 2400 cu in pack made of heavy duty cordura material but still weighs about 2 pounds. It has a slim profile (primarily intended for ice climbing), a removable top pocket, nice compression straps and lots of lashing points. The Mountaineer generally carries this pack if you want to take a look at it (but you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere).

It was one of the first I looked at. I could live without the small mesh side pockets, but really wanted a pocket(s) on the front of the pack. Even called them to ask if they could add pockets as an add on.

My perfect pack would be Valdez with front pocket(s), small mesh side pockets, and zipper to access the pack body from the outside.

Peakbagr said:
It was one of the first I looked at. I could live without the small mesh side pockets, but really wanted a pocket(s) on the front of the pack. Even called them to ask if they could add pockets as an add on.

My perfect pack would be Valdez with front pocket(s), small mesh side pockets, and zipper to access the pack body from the outside.

Drop the mesh side pockets and get a Dana wet-rib. It sits in front, holds a nalgene (and comes with a spiffy 18oz. Dana flying hiker logo soft spout sport bottle... say that three times fast!) and holds my camera, snacks, map, hat, sweatbands, etc. and stays out of the way. It felt odd at first, but feels as normal as my pack straps now. I have two, and use them on all my packs.

Check the Dana "add a pocket" (size small) that fits virtually all compression configurations. Tough Cordura, zip access, jump ability from pack to pack. I use two large ones to augment my medium Alpine backpack for longer trips, and have roughed them up without a tear.

Of course, you could also check into those hardshell plastic packs that those cool Japanese biker chicks ride with. The first time I saw one I immediately thought the perfect bushwhack pack. They probably weigh a ton, though.

Yes, my Dana packs (along with my middle linebacker size) are not whacker friendly. Perhaps a canyoneering dry pack? Or bite the bullet and splurge for a McHale custom ...