Calling All White Mt. Experts - Jefferson, Adams and Madison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i vote for up the castle trail and down the howker ridge. if you'll be in shape that hike with good conditions should be easy. i've done it before with some great company.

Here's a whole different approach to these three peaks: Start at the Great Gulf Trailhead on route 16. Go to the Six Husbands Trail up Jefferson. This is an incredible trail, steep, several ladders, crawl throughs where you have to take off our pack, a few nice scrambles, etc. A memorable trail! Once up Jefferson, head over to Adams on Gulfside, then on to Madison and finally down the Osgood Trail back to the Great Gulf trail, only having to backtrack 1.5 miles on your route up. I did this in the middle of the summer and I have to say it was a trip to remember! I think around 15 miles, and 6000+ feet of elevation gain. Osgood trail is a great way to go down, goes along a very scenic ridge on the southeast shoulder of Madison before heading into the woods. Plus, once you get up Jefferson, if the weather is bad you can head north for a mile and scoot down the Sphinx trail back into the Great Gulf. Same idea, if it turns back or you're tire once you hit Adams, byou can head down the Buttress Trail.

All that being said, if you really want to go from Route 2, I'd vote for the advice about spotting a bike or car and heading up the Castle Trail to Jefferson. However, once over Adams and Madison, I'd go down the Howker Ridge Trail, or the Airline which has a bit of a knife edge near the top with killer views into King Ravine. Or, I'd actually go down the King Ravine trail for a real thrill. If it's reasonably dry, this particular trail, in my opinion, is really not a bad one to go down. It's steep but there are not a lot of tricky, steep slabby scrambles. Plus you get to go through the Subway at the base. I'd only do this if you were feeling good, even once past the headwall and the subway, there is a lot of boulder hopping and picking your way through rough terrain that will be a pain if you're beat.

My general view is that if you get yourself all set to do such a major hike, you may as well hit the most spectacular trails, and only use the mellow ones like Valley Way as bad weather or fatigue options.

So many options, you can't go wrong as long as the weather cooperates.

This thread is morphing into one of those over-the-top threads of how to do 3 big peaks in one day, with each successive poster trying to outdo the other. :D I have no doubt that those who posted more physically variations of this loop are quite capable of doing them. But, most hikers find that any one of these peaks is a strenous hike. And to do 2 or 3 by the 'easiest' routes listed is a BIG day for the majority of hikers, especially in early October with its shorter days and a single vehicle. :)

Don't forget some light crampons. Finding a thin film of ice on the rocks near treeline in the early morning near treeline is not uncommon in early October. IIRC, that kind of icing is called verglas.

How about trying from the west side of the range? Like starting at the Caps of the Ridge trailhead.

well - he did ask for options for all three :) :) - I (and I assume others) was assuming he has the stamina to do all 3. There are so many bailout options up there there is really no place he couldn't decide to bail back to the road if need be between any of these peaks.

If weather is a problem - I would think he would change plans that day.

I think these suggestions are great. Its a great area to be in if the weather is nice.

Aesop74 said:
My big trip this year is take on Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Adams and Mt. Madison as a single day trip from Rt. 2 in Appalachia near Gorham. Also, is it possible to do all 3 in a day or am I kidding myself?

Which trails do you recommend keeping in mind that I want to start and finish off Rt. 2 at Appalachia.

Is there another loop that I am not taking into consideration?

Thanks everybody :)

By coincidence, hiking those three in a day was my big trip for 2005. A friend and I parked one car at the Caps Ridge trailhead and a second car at Appalachia. We did Madison first via the Fallsway, Brookside and Watson Path, then followed the ridge over Adams to Jefferson and down the Ridge of the Caps. If we had been limited to one car, we would have chosen to return to Appalachia via the Randolph Path. I prefer descending the Randolph Path rather than Valley Way at the end of a long day because there's not so many rocks.

I was thinking he wanted the easiest way to do three hard peaks. I've planned on doing these for years together without the staminia to do them, just the willingness to punish myself. (along with a bunch of other plans in NH, ME & NY :D :eek: )

I've been working on the staminia lately a 1/2 Devil's Path trip later this month (Indian Head Through Plateau) & some portion of the Pemi Loop (likely 1/2 but I'm dreaming big) in May will test the gym & diet regime.

My thought is Madison last as climbing the approximately 566 feet from the hut up & back is easier than climbing roughly 900 feet out of Edmands after doing the other two. (assuming the cols are 4800 feet - their close, I'm WMG free at work, the old brick is in the car)

jfb said:
By coincidence, hiking those three in a day was my big trip for 2005. A friend and I parked one car at the Caps Ridge trailhead and a second car at Appalachia. We did Madison first via the Fallsway, Brookside and Watson Path, then followed the ridge over Adams to Jefferson and down the Ridge of the Caps. If we had been limited to one car, we would have chosen to return to Appalachia via the Randolph Path. I prefer descending the Randolph Path rather than Valley Way at the end of a long day because there's not so many rocks.
Thats a very good way to bag the three, to bad I never car spot, I end up having to walk alot farther :eek: