Camelback VS. Platypus Hoser

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime

Reaction score
I had gotten away from using a hydration system in my pack for a couple of years because of problems with leakage and because it's easier to clean a Nalgene than a bladder. I have started using a Camelback (mostly as a way to cut some weight) again but am wondering if anyone has used the Platypus Hoser and what your experience has been?

I use the Hoser. I have had both platypus and Camelback bags leak... so I can't really say one is worse than the other. I like the lightness of the Platypus bags and the ability that some of them have to stand up.

One filled 2L hoser and an extra empty 2L bag is what I carry during Summer. Regardless of bladder system, I always put it inside a light garbage bag.

avoided hydration for a while, but will never look back for 3-season trips. have had good luck with a msr dromedary rigged up with their hydration hose. did pick up an insulated cameback for the shoulder seasons (definitely no good past the teens) and that hasn't failed me yet (except for the times it froze up.....). i like the msr because it is tough and the same nalgene adpater for my water filter fits it perfect. a thru hiker once told me he could throw his dromedary bag across a parking lot and it would be fine. haven't tried that......

bryan

Isn't it kinda like debating which is the better car - a Toyota or a Honda?

Either one's a winner. Get the one on sale ...

Of course, Honda is obviously better :p.

I use my 1.8L Platypus on all my nonwinter hikes for about 4 years now, it still holding strong. The one thing that I think Camelbak may be better is that it has a wider mouth make cleaning the bladder easier (or possible). But it cost almost twice as much as a Platypus, I figure I can afford to replace it every so often... but 4 years later, it's still good.

I rinse my Platypus bladder with hot water after every hike, and only use it for plan water, so far cleaning it is not a problem. And as cbcbd noted, I too put the bladder in a plastic bag, just incase.

I don't know if it'll make a difference in preventing the leaking, but I use a camelback and carry it in an insulator bag (the silver cloth thingie; yes, that's highly technical). Not only does it protect against getting dinged by gear, but it keeps the water cool.

I've had serious delamination issues with Platypus hosers, eventually resulting in leakage. This has happen to numerous bags over time. The only bag that has held up well is my oldest Platypus, which was included with my Osprey pack.

As a result, I'm switching away from Platypus. I like the MSR Dromedary, but don't like the way the little screw-on cap tends to leak unless it's screwed down really tight.

By the way, I learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to leave these flexible water containers where porcupines can access them at night. I had most of my water supply devastated overnight last summer in the Catskills.

I use a Camelback with a hose. The only thing I do to it is clean it and wash it out at the end of the hiking season. I beat the heck out of it, and of course bought it on sale. Its never leaked.

It will enter its 4th season in April............