Camping in VT near Burke - Umpire - East Haven 3k's ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Any ideas where to camp this weekend in the Burke / Umpire / East Haven area of Vermont? Looking to car camp somewhere in the vicinity.

I checked out the State Parks but they are all closed for the season. Does anyone know if your allowed to camp at a VT State Park "out of season"? I've done it before at Cobscook Bay State Park in Maine.

Gravel Pit camping is O.K. too. How about in Ski Area parking lots? (I've camped in a parking lot of Sugarloaf USA before)

I'm not fussy, just want to be able to pitch a tent. The off road Taurus sux to sleep in...

Camping

I thought pig pen said there was good camping on South America rd.even had a fire ring,close to Seneca's

MarkJ said:
I thought pig pen said there was good camping on South America rd.even had a fire ring,close to Seneca's

Confirmed. There is a campsite on the South America Pond Road. It's an old horse staging area and has a privy (Which had not been recently maintained as of last fall). It's on your right a few miles in, very handy to the Senecas.

Last edited:
onestep said:
I checked out the State Parks but they are all closed for the season. Does anyone know if your allowed to camp at a VT State Park "out of season"?
Vermont allows off-season camping in its state parks but you need the permission of the district manager. You will have to park at the gate and walk in. The district manager may also be aware of primitive campsites close to a road in nearby state forests and wildlife management areas.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/distoffc.cfm

John S said:
Vermont allows off-season camping in its state parks but you need the permission of the district manager. You will have to park at the gate and walk in. The district manager may also be aware of primitive campsites close to a road in nearby state forests and wildlife management areas.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/distoffc.cfm

Hey John, thanks for this info. I have been wondering this about my fair state just recently but keep forgetting to make the call to ask the district rangers. That's cool to know.

Hope to be up in that neck of the woods in November.
Curious as to location of the aforementioned South America Road.
Any chance it's in the Northern Hemisphere??

bigmoose said:
Hope to be up in that neck of the woods in November.
Curious as to location of the aforementioned South America Road.
Any chance it's in the Northern Hemisphere??

It goes south from Route 105 about half way between Island Pond and North Stratford. There is a street sign on it. The Vermont Gazetteer shows it as an unimproved road but it is actually in good shape.

Kurt, if I recall correctly, we car camped along the road indicated by "1565" NE of the peak and climbed Umpire Mtn along the drainage by the red arrow. This was a good route considering the steepness of the eastern approaches. East Haven Mtn is two map clicks N of there. We did Burke from the ski area approach in winter with permission.

Good timing, I just picked up a book on VT campgrounds from Campmor..

Alpine Valley RV Park (might just be an RV park)
Breezy Meadows campground
Moose River Campground

The above are private and south of Burke by like 7-13 miles

There is also a 'White Caps campground' north of Burke on what looks to be Route 5A

As far as state parks, there is a Brighton State Park north of Burke on Route 114ish area. And a private campsite near there called Lakeside Camping...

Hope that helps, I'd imagine you could google most of them with that information, if not, just PM or email me...

Jay